• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sparks Breaking??!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yup, seems like they're all turning to garbage. I decided to try some Champion non-resistor plugs in my Mercedes and went to put them in yesterday. Well, half of them had resistance in the kOhm range (including one with no continuity), and three or four of the NGKs I pulled out also had a ton of resistance (though no open circuits). That does't mean the plug won't fire, otherwise the car would have run horribly, but things aren't tight internally. Just another indication of where the quality of most spark plugs is going.

I'd gladly pay $10+ per plug if I could be guaranteed it was built of quality materials to precise tolerances; that would be nothing next to what these cost-engineered plugs are actually costing us! Oh, and one thing you can do: check your new plugs (visually, and confirm the resistance) and return the ones that don't check out. You won't catch every defective plug, but you will catch some, and if enough people do it, return rates will skyrocket. If that happens, they might just be forced into making some better decisions about their quality control.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
I hear Denso is preferable in the automotive world. Might give them a go. I did reach out to ngk. We will see how they handle it. I suggest everyone do the same so they know they have a poor product. Here's a pic of mine. How the electrode went up in there, i have no clue.

20200330_093517.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Bosch plugs have historically been pretty good, and I've never had an issue with the ones I've run. Unfortunately, while they make them in the correct size, they don't make them cold enough: seems they only make them in heat ranges appropriate for four-strokes. Not sure about Denso. They cross-references the IW27 to the BP9ES, and it'd probably work, but it's got a non-projected electrode. I can't find a projector-tip plug in the right heat range from them either. Can't think of anything a non-projector plug would hurt, but it's possible you'd lose performance.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
The one in the pic above looks like a counterfeit? The numbers are hard to read an off-center. If I remember right that was one of the signs. I had about 4 sets that looked just like the ones you show off-center numbers and just didn't look right. I threw them out bought new ones and checked each one before I left the store with new ones. Not saying this is your case suggestion only. Need to cover myself don't want the misinformation police to call me out.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
The one in the pic above looks like a counterfeit? The numbers are hard to read an off-center. If I remember right that was one of the signs. I had about 4 sets that looked just like the ones you show off-center numbers and just didn't look right. I threw them out bought new ones and checked each one before I left the store with new ones. Not saying this is your case suggestion only. Need to cover myself don't want the misinformation police to call me out.
How would napa have counterfeit plugs? This just doesn't make sense to me.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Are all the failures on modified sleds? Just asking because detonation can break plugs for sure.
This sled is modified with a silber turbo currently at 5psi. I was not boosting heavy at the time and these plugs never saw any det. I did not have them in long enough to put them through any torture. As i mentioned with mine, my old plugs have withstood a bunch of boost (up to 10psi) and several incidents of det on hard wot climbs. I had to put them back in on the hill and they are still going strong once again. Its poor workmanship imo.

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Bosch plugs have historically been pretty good, and I've never had an issue with the ones I've run. Unfortunately, while they make them in the correct size, they don't make them cold enough: seems they only make them in heat ranges appropriate for four-strokes. Not sure about Denso. They cross-references the IW27 to the BP9ES, and it'd probably work, but it's got a non-projected electrode. I can't find a projector-tip plug in the right heat range from them either. Can't think of anything a non-projector plug would hurt, but it's possible you'd lose performance.
In theory its just subject to fouling more so than the projected electrode. That's the only difference.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Didn’t know you got them from NAPA. NGK can check that lot number or you can call there customer service line. There was some other threads on this also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Had this happen a couple weeks ago as well. Never seen it before. Next day same thing happened to a '21 khaos. Odd for sure

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

G
Mar 18, 2018
Calgary
Lost the mag side plug a cpl days ago. I noticed a small piece of ceramic missing so I'm hoping it got spit out the exhaust.
What are the model numbers of the champions or e3 people are running.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
its's not the spark plugs..

it is DETO!! Period! Need more octane!!

Or a different head~

except when it happens to 5 different local sleds from stock to piped to turbo? (Running NGK plugs)

Pump gas to av gas?

then completely disappears when moving to different plugs?

I’m gonna stick with plugs being the problem ???

Premium Features