• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spark Plug Wire

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well we are going to get a big snow storm tomarow so I went out to get the sled ready for the year, pulled up the spark plug wire and the inside broke off on the spark plug. I tried to get it to run by putting the wire back on bot it wont run. If fired a couple times and now it wont even fire. How hard is it to replace the spark plug wires? looks like you have to tare everyting all apart to get to them. Need some help on what steps I need to go to to do this. thanks 2002 Summit Highmark X 800

haha! yeah it kinda sucks, more sucks because that single spark plug wire is like $35! You have to pull the air box to get to the coil that is mounted to the left clutch side of the oil tank. The wire has a special little hole in the end that corresponds with a wire inside the coil. When you buy the wire you have to buy the clip to that holds the wire inside the coil...

....or you can do what I did, save yourself $30 and just go to NAPA and get a replacement sparkplug cap and crimp a new cap on.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Forget the crimp-on style an get a twist/screw-on end. Easy an quick repair, most automoive stores carry them as well as most snowmobile dealers. NGK being the most common brand

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
How do I get the old cap off? Do I have to cut the old one off, or does it screw off somehow?

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
That is what I was afraid of, there is not much play in the wire at all. I think that the factory wire is just glued on, thats what it looks like, I have played with it a little. any other info that may be helpfull would be appriciated

cut the boot off the cap as for towards the plug as possible and clip the wire, if you can leave as much of the wire as possible you may be able to do it....if it's too short, the wire is ruined anyways so I guess you'll have to bend over and take it from Ski-doo....

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
well I got it fixed this morning and it runs great, just bought a $2 cap from the auto parts store and ten minutes later it was good as new. The two caps do not match now which really bugs me but I will address that later on when there isnt snow to ride on. I was really upset when it happed and figured it was back to the dealer for another $500+ bill. Thanks to everyone for your help, turned out to be not a big deal at all.

J

jbsumbc

Oct 26, 2008
Tumbler ridge b.c. Canada
If I were you, just get a new set of spark plug wires! I had the same thing happen to me in the mountains! Do the right thing, and don`t do just a quick fix. Exspecilaly if your riding in the mountains!
When this happend to me, I was riding in Whistler at the Ice fields, and when to climb out of a bowl, and the sled started firing on one silender. I pulled my sparkplug boot off, and all of the pices fell out from inside the boot! I had to take the spring from my hood that keeps the wires from falling out of the hood, then I had some tie wire, and some electrical tape. It took me a few tries but I mad it work!!! Thank god cause the weather started moving in, and we just made it out in time!!!!
Just my 2 cents!
Cheers!

C
Nov 26, 2007
Sure OEM wires are good but why replace the entire wire when there are so many of us out here already having done this very fix for many years on lots of different sleds w/o any problems. I have done this to almost all of my sleds over the years due to the plug end either falling apart or having too much resistance causing a misfire. I normally doo both or all three just for looks and peace of mind. Also, if one failed, how long befor the rest crap out. For those of us who are vain and looks count (Most of us are) They come in diff colors as well. Not to mention we can upgrade the wires right from the coil to
"RACE WIRES" to which I must add.... also come in diff colors.
Too each their own, I have peace of mind.

Premium Features