• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Soldier Summit are - info needed

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Soldier Summit area - info needed

My son's in laws are looking at some property in Soldier Summit Estates. The realtor claims that you can ride right from the property as they usually have 6'-8' of snow there and that you can access the Skyline Drive trail easily from this development to get to the top of the Fairview Canyon area. The family are OK sledders, certainly not real good technical riders, but can do some basic handling of a sled off trail. Does anyone know if the realtor is accurate? I am having a hard time believing that Soldier Summit has 6'-8' of snow on the ground traditionally and am concerned about them being able to ride right from their cabin to the Skyline Trail. Anybody more familiar with this area? I would hate to see them sink all of this money into this and end up disappointed. Thanks for the info.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Soldier summit has not gotten more then 4-5' of snow on the ground at one time in the last 20 years. The further east you go from the summit the lower the snow gets. To get to skyline from soldier summit would require navigating private property, scofeild reservoir and a lot of deep canyons with low snow usually. Getting to skyline (fairview canyon) from soldier summit would be one heckuva ride in and of itself. We ride north from soldier summit and that isnt bad, if the cabin lot is up that way (white river) you can usually access strawberry fairly easily.

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Soldier summit has not gotten more then 4-5' of snow on the ground at one time in the last 20 years. The further east you go from the summit the lower the snow gets. To get to skyline from soldier summit would require navigating private property, scofeild reservoir and a lot of deep canyons with low snow usually. Getting to skyline (fairview canyon) from soldier summit would be one heckuva ride in and of itself. We ride north from soldier summit and that isnt bad, if the cabin lot is up that way (white river) you can usually access strawberry fairly easily.

Good info - could you trailer down to the Tucker rest stop and have enough snow right there as I believe that is the start of the Skyline Drive?

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
My son's in laws are looking at some property in Soldier Summit Estates. The realtor claims that you can ride right from the property as they usually have 6'-8' of snow there and that you can access the Skyline Drive trail easily from this development to get to the top of the Fairview Canyon area. The family are OK sledders, certainly not real good technical riders, but can do some basic handling of a sled off trail. Does anyone know if the realtor is accurate? I am having a hard time believing that Soldier Summit has 6'-8' of snow on the ground traditionally and am concerned about them being able to ride right from their cabin to the Skyline Trail. Anybody more familiar with this area? I would hate to see them sink all of this money into this and end up disappointed. Thanks for the info.

It is easy. You ride the power lines south and drop into Dry Valley (this is the valley north of Scofield). Take the road that goes around Scofield, can access Skyline a few different ways. Also, there are some roads that wind down toward Tucker, but never went all the way.

As for snow, the wind blows alot so I would say 3-4', usually enough to cover the sagebrush. And head north and you easily access Strawberry as long as they knock down the drifts!! White River to the east is suppose to be good, but never ridden there.

Not a bad area to snowmobile. Long ride to Fairview!!

Last edited:

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
We rode the wheelers today from Tucker rest stop to the junction of 31. It looks like about 7-8 miles of initially climbing higher on the Skyline Dr then looks to be some really nice snowmobiling country all the way to Fairview Canyon. Went back and rode the two main trails north of Hwy 6, almost directly across from the Soldier Summit Estates property. Went quite a ways thru an area that I think is called Renegade Ridge (north and east), and then rode another trail to the back side of Strawberry and looped back to Soldier Summit. The Strawberry area seems closer and doable for sledding(depending on enough snow) to trail ride back to some good places. I could not find any decent access to Skyline Drive from the property without trailering to Tucker. Any more info, etc would be greatly appreciated. They are thinking of making an offer on property next week. They are going to look at the Fairview Lakes cabin area tomorrow, but they are concerned about not having year round access.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
We rode the wheelers today from Tucker rest stop to the junction of 31. It looks like about 7-8 miles of initially climbing higher on the Skyline Dr then looks to be some really nice snowmobiling country all the way to Fairview Canyon. Went back and rode the two main trails north of Hwy 6, almost directly across from the Soldier Summit Estates property. Went quite a ways thru an area that I think is called Renegade Ridge (north and east), and then rode another trail to the back side of Strawberry and looped back to Soldier Summit. The Strawberry area seems closer and doable for sledding(depending on enough snow) to trail ride back to some good places. I could not find any decent access to Skyline Drive from the property without trailering to Tucker. Any more info, etc would be greatly appreciated. They are thinking of making an offer on property next week. They are going to look at the Fairview Lakes cabin area tomorrow, but they are concerned about not having year round access.

Fairview lakes would be a much better cabin location for sledding, you do have to sled into the cabins in the winter but its not far at all, (1 mile tops).

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
If you want year round access, look at Scofield.

To get from Soldier Summit to Strawberry, take the Left Fork White River. I believe this trail is groomed, but havent been over it for a few years. The riding is exactly what you like to do, very similar to Indian Creek.

Premium Features