• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

softshell,what is it?

S

springer

Feb 1, 2008
Washington
What is softshell? How good is it? Is it water proof and is it warm enough for the mountians? Who makes the best?

M
Nov 26, 2007
Okotoks
I bought a soft shell jacket from RU Outside. They have a trademark name for the fabric = Exotek.
It's very similar to neoprene, IMO. So far it's a great outdoor jacket but I have'nt had a chance to wear it sledding. I think it will be good for warmer days. It is just a shell with no insulation or liner. Mine seems very water resistant and windproof.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
I love softshells, I use them sledding and snow skiing all winter long. I don't have a problem staying warm in them, as for windproof and waterproof they are excellent, I Think that most of the softshells are great products but i use helly hansen because they have stood up to insane amounts of abuse not only from wearing but with oil gas ect. I also use Black Diamond, another great product too, it comes down basically to what you like and the $$$ you want to spend.

I became a H/H fan because i had snowpants that lasted 5 years keeping me dry and warm, and that was a miminum of 3 days a week in the winter. (and I only use that set. didn't have anything else.) i upgrade more frequently than that now, but thats because i have more money to spend on stuff like this:D

I'm not saying H/h is the greatest thing you could ever buy, there are ALOT of kick butt companies out there that will do the same thing with thier products. I just felt like i got more quality product for the money i spent after seeing it hold up the the abuse it seems like i put everything through.

Also I know 1 person who dosen't like anything softshell. I don't know the reason, so it miight not be something you prefer.

Snorider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2008
lol but they don't taste as good when they are softshelled.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Get one that is windproof, otherwise the wind goes through it like you're wearing a sweatshirt. I prefer hardshells for riding.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton Wyoming
...a kind of crab? :confused::confused:

800px-100_2575.jpg

I don't feel so bad now, I was thinking about chicken softshell tacos from Taco Johns. I started for the boarder!

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
hmm, i drive by a taco johns a few times a week but haven't eaten there in a while....

M
Dec 21, 2007
I have owned several for years and IMHO you can't beat Mountain Hardware, Marmot, or Black Diamond. The downside here is that they are usually only sold in tree hugger type outdoor stores. These guys have been making softshells for years for human powered backcounrty sports (long before the motorsports industry caught on). They are ALL I use for my outer layer. Layering is the only way to go!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Klim Inversion is a very functional softshell, especially under an avy vest. Windproof, sheds some wetness, pit zips, flexible/some stretch, athletic fit, and lots of pockets if you need them. I have two, current and prior generation, each for a different purpose. Works great in the Rockies, can't provide an opinion for the wet coast. My hard shell is a Klim Stealth, more flex, low bulk, and lightweight, which are the two factors that are crucial for me now on all my gear. Knowing how you're going to wear it is important for sizing and insulation, mid layers, etc. And, Klim/Poo is all about motorsports. I personally struggle feeding the companies that fund the anti-sledding, winter wilderness crews, and sometimes they hide it well. Backstabbers. I'm optimistic that Klim/Polaris uses good judgement there.

Premium Features