• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sobering thoughts

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
It's taken nearly 53 years, but I'm seeing drinking in a different light.
This week we buried a 44 year old friend.
His liver quit doing what it needs to do.
He left behind a wife, 4 children, brothers and parents.

We all (myself included) equate drinking and having a good time, like they go hand in hand automatically. This is a taught perception, taught so well that it has become instinctual.

I'm not advocating giving up drinking. I certainly will not, I do enjoy it. But it would be nice if we could be more willing to recognize the difference between recreational drinking and problematic drinking.
And more importantly, mentor our youth to realize that drinking responsibly is ok, but there's a pattern to avoid if they want to keep control of their drinking instead of alcohol controlling them.

I realize this is a fools errand, as most of the youth "know it will not happen to them". You couldn't tell me anything when I was young and "bulletproof".
But if even one person reads this and thinks twice, that's progress.

Please keep in mind, horrible things don't always only happen to someone else. Sometimes tragedy strikes those close to you. And seeing friends bury their children gives you a sick feeling that doesn't leave you.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Sorry for your loss man, that way to young to go.

It's always interesting to me how everyone looks at drinking.

Me personally, I have never had a drink in my entire life. I'm now 37. When I was 16 a friend was walking his girlfriend home on a Saturday afternoon down a rural back road. Car come up fast on them and was swerving all over. He had enough time to push her down into the ditch out of the way and the car hit him. His died instantly from the impact when his head hit the ground. The driver and passenger were both drunk. From that moment on I could never imagine drinking. There was no point, no advantage in my mind. I can sit with a group of friends all evening drinking pop or water or whatever else. And not once in the evening will I ever feel the need for a drink of alcohol. I have lots of friends who no matter what feel the need to have a drink in their hand. I'm not talking getting drunk type of stuff just a couple drinks they will nurse all evening.

Everyone looks at the topic differently that's for sure. But I have learned in my life I am by far in the minority of adults. It's funny still to this day after a day of riding if we go into a bar for dinner. I still get looks from guys in the group when I order a coke instead of a beer. Always kind of makes me smile. Plus my tab always looks better at the end of the night. :face-icon-small-win

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Sorry for your loss man. I am a light beer drinker and take the heat once in a while for being a light weight but I don't care. And I don't care much for booze. I remember several years back being in a very nice bar when a guy was buying shots for everyone and I said no thanks. And he said are you nuts? Those shots are $22 a shot. I said I don't care if it's a $1000 a shot I don't want one, but thanks anyway. I have never drank a cup of coffee, smoked a cigarette, done drugs, and I have not had a can of pop since March 27, 2000. I'm a loser. :face-icon-small-dis

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Sorry for your loss man. I am a light beer drinker and take the heat once in a while for being a light weight but I don't care. And I don't care much for booze. I remember several years back being in a very nice bar when a guy was buying shots for everyone and I said no thanks. And he said are you nuts? Those shots are $22 a shot. I said I don't care if it's a $1000 a shot I don't want one, but thanks anyway. I have never drank a cup of coffee, smoked a cigarette, done drugs, and I have not had a can of pop since March 27, 2000. I'm a loser. :face-icon-small-dis

I was right there with ya until the end. I've had enough diet soda for both of us! :face-icon-small-ton

R
Feb 29, 2016
I think everything in moderation is the way to go. I do not understand denying yourself anything in this short life, I do not understand that kind of thinking.

FEAR is very powerful though and that is definitely something else society is hell bent on instilling in us. Fact is, nobody gets out alive. When it is your time there is no escaping it. Might as well enjoy yourself and all of the fruits of the world we live in. Just be responsible for your actions and practice moderation of all things.

I do find it very interesting how society has promoted alcohol. It is a horrible drug from the health problems, hangovers, inability to operate a vehicle safely etc etc. I have a co-worker with an alcohol problem, hasn't caught up to him quite yet but you can see the train coming. Really hard to watch...

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
So who’s getting drunk tonight!?

Not me.
But it's not because I'm getting wiser.
It's because I'm getting older and lazier!
I can't find the motivation to go anywhere with these temps.
Add in the fact that the law will be out in full force... Ain't worth the risk of a DUI

I've gotten to the point where I still very much enjoy drinking, but do not care for getting drunk.
Drunk in your 30's was fun, but sloppy drunk in your 50's, well that's just sad and embarrassing.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Not me.

But it's not because I'm getting wiser.

It's because I'm getting older and lazier!

I can't find the motivation to go anywhere with these temps.

Add in the fact that the law will be out in full force... Ain't worth the risk of a DUI

I've gotten to the point where I still very much enjoy drinking, but do not care for getting drunk.

Drunk in your 30's was fun, but sloppy drunk in your 50's, well that's just sad and embarrassing.

We have come to the same conclusion.

Sounds like I came to mine a little sooner than you though.

Ive only been “out drinking” once in my life after I turned 21. Definitely not the scene for me.

I like drinking at home, in the garage, or at my neighbors house, with family and friends.

I’m over the “getting drunk” way of drinking.

The next day.....ugh. The Taste In your mouth, how it feels like your one meal and a nap away from feeling better but that crappy feeling just stays with you. YUCK!!

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
I am my own best bar tender, drinks are much better at home.
Made Long Island Ice Tea's last night.

Attachments

• tea.jpg
    tea.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 47

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
Sidecars, if you drink too many, becomes a trainwreck!

Attachments

• Sidecar.jpg
    Sidecar.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 38

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
"Moscow Mule"

We've had this discussion at work.
Why the copper mug?
Nobody that I know knows.

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
My Take

My condolences on the loss of your frend...no matter the reason someone leaves our life it s always difficult :brokenheart:

I grew up where family get togethers and such were frequently accompanied by alcohol more often to excess...the family stories I could tell...

I didn't enter college until I was 21, didn't party or nothng in high school (I was one of the outcasts in a very clique-ish school)--I joined the Logger Sports team at college, made up for lost time on more than a few occasions...

When my wife and I married after I graduated, drinking wasn't that big of an issue for either of us, moreso because we just didn't have the money. But after we had kids drinking and especially drinking and driving was out, especially since now we had even more resposibilities...

I did loosen up on occasion on company trips for my former employer when we would travel to the bi-yearly Parts Expo we would attend for the John Deere dealership I worked at. Being away from home and not having to drive myself anywhere (and somebody else picking up the tab) helped...

Now, If I have 2-3 beers in a year, I'm on a roll..It's just not something that's a part of my life...My wife and I don't get out much at all alone (3 kids and one of them is a special needs child) and we don't have friends we hang with outside of her family that's nearby to us.

My main hangup with drinking is drinking and getting into a car and putting others lives at risk for it...I admit I've done this while in college and didn't get caught or in a wreck (Thank You, God!!)...If you're going to drink, make sure that you have a Designated Driver or don't drive, crash on somebody's kitchen floor (done that) instead of on the road...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is nothing wrong with not drinking.

But society acts like you're odd if you make that choice.

As for me.
I chose to give it up entirely about 3 decades ago.
I am now a lifetime Designated Driver!

Designated-Driver-1-copy.png

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I am my own best bar tender, drinks are much better at home.
Made Long Island Ice Tea's last night.

The only mixed drink l cared for, except for the “high maintenance” of making them, UNTIL l solved that problem...pre-mix all the alcohol “parts” into an empty bottle to make the solution. (Glass + Ice + Solution + Sweet/Sour + Cola + Lemon)

Premium Features