• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

so is it worth it to upgrade to the 16/17 team on a '15 and older proclimb?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Or is it worth saving the difference in $$ and sticking with the cat? I ask because I've seen pics of failed team primaries and if they're not lasting any longer than cat clutches then why change. Right on schedule at 2200 miles my '14 seized a roller so it's decision time.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Absolutely worth the money. You will pay for the diff in longer belt life not to mention far more consistent RPM

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
personally I would wait and get the 18 clutches with the floating primary, the throttle response is so nice!

L
Feb 21, 2011
Kremmling, CO
I changed my '15 to TEAM clutches (tied secondary) and quite happy with the move. The engagement is Cadillac-smooth, almost unreal, and I feel tune-ability is better. I can't quite tell any power difference but seeing I had to rebuild my clutches anyhow, I'm happy with my move.

I can't speak to the '18 clutches though.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
personally I would wait and get the 18 clutches with the floating primary, the throttle response is so nice!

Racinstation said in another post he wasn't sure if the 18 clutch would work with the cat secondary and I don't have money for both clutches at this time.

I've never really had performance or belt issues with the cat clutch and the set up I'm running now engages pretty smooth at about 3500 rpm. So I can't really knock the cat clutch performance other than the rollers goin out like clock work. I'm mostly lookin into the longevity aspect I guess

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I believe you will be amazed how much more consistent the team primary will prove to be. I had a team tied with the Cat primary on my 14 and the absolute consistency of the 16 is far better. There are many people out there with far more miles than me but I don't know anyone that puts harder true mountain miles on than me and I know I wouldn't have made it this long on Cat clutches.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
After inspecting my clutch a little better I think I lucked out and didn't ruin a weight so for now I'm gonna just cheap out and buy another cat primary and save the couple hundred over buying a whole new set up. Then maybe once the 18s prove themselves (clutch wise) it'll make it easier to find a decent price on a 16-17 team from everyone upgrading to the 18, or at least more info on compatibility of the 18 clutch to other secondaries.

Premium Features