• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowys

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
Thinking about going out Thanksgiving weekend. Looks like upper elevations have decent snow. Anyone one have 1st hand knowledge on conditions?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
There is about 20" up top in certain areas. They need more snow bad before Thanksgiving. The snow that is up there is a good heavy layer which helps though

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Oct was great for snow, probably could have rode a few times then.... if they didnt change the legal dates to ride.

Nov has sucked! not looking good for thanksgiving but that can change quick too. I use to ride that weekend a lot, just watch the snotel sites. 30" reporting is pretty much the least amount you need to go up and ride.... 40" is better. Still have to be VERY careful, LOTS of rocks to hit. Nothing will be marked so if you dont know the area really well take a GPS with you.

G

Guernseycow

Oct 30, 2019
Gillette, wy
Oct was great for snow, probably could have rode a few times then.... if they didnt change the legal dates to ride.

Nov has sucked! not looking good for thanksgiving but that can change quick too. I use to ride that weekend a lot, just watch the snotel sites. 30" reporting is pretty much the least amount you need to go up and ride.... 40" is better. Still have to be VERY careful, LOTS of rocks to hit. Nothing will be marked so if you dont know the area really well take a GPS with you.
Hey I sure do appreciate the update. I've been watching the albany web cams and ski area web cam. Not looking real good right now. The one site I've been looking at is reporting almost 30 inches about midway, but looking at the ski area web cams I can see lots of dirt in the back ground. Like you say could change quick, they are calling for snow 4 days this week.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
The storm this week was an upslope storm. East side got the snow (not "typical" but happens a couple times per year). Right now Cinnabar has more snow than Med Bow and French Creek Snotel sites - that is very rare.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The storm this week was an upslope storm. East side got the snow (not "typical" but happens a couple times per year). Right now Cinnabar has more snow than Med Bow and French Creek Snotel sites - that is very rare.
Very odd this time of year. These upslope storms almost always happen in the spring.

So how much they end up getting

Around 20"

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Earlier when I looked they had 30-35” on a few of the snotels up there. Just me but I wouldn’t do the Snowies till they are over 50”... If a guy lived close it’d probably be worth checking out before that I guess.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Friends just sent a text from their place on Elk Creek - plenty of snow around there (expected). They are up there until Sunday morning, I may try to head up to hit some FS roads and safe meadows with them. Hopefully the wind doesn't get to bad down here and the highways stay open.

Premium Features