• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Range season length?

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Thinking about trying to hit the Snowies before the year is up. How late does the season generally go there?

Thanks!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Thinking about trying to hit the Snowies before the year is up. How late does the season generally go there?

Thanks!
You got PLENTY of time left! March is usually good. Might get a spring storm and have fresh snow. Grooming stops around the end of March but you can ride all of April and most of the time into May.

April and May you will need to unload up top at Green Rock, or at Chains end on the west side.

When you ride spring conditions, you get almost twice as much day light.... Wait until noon to ride, let things soften up from the overnight re-freeze, then you can ride till 8 or 9 pm.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I believe the snowies close to off trail/“off road” sleds on like the 1st of May? Someone else will chime in about this I’m sure.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
May 31st is the last day of off-trail riding for snowmobiles for the season. Trail only from June 1st onward. It becomes difficult to get around once the DOT starts plowing out HWY 130 in early May.

Last edited:

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Before the May 31st rule went in, I did a weekend of riding on my birthday, which is June 2.

We camped (truck camper) down a side road near chains end, and hauled the sleds up higher to get going. That was a good winter, and there was still probably 4+' in most areas. I don't think we disturbed any vegetation, that's for sure...

If you can get up there right after a good storm in April, the riding is awesome! On a cold spring, I imagine May can have some good snows too!

Juggs

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
snowies

how is it in the snowies right now ? thinking about heading there Sunday From Wi.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
how is it in the snowies right now ? thinking about heading there Sunday From Wi.

Snotel sites are sitting at 75-100 inches right now and there is snow in the forecast thur-sun.

I would say go have fun!

Premium Features