• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Range Riding Conditions

11mudder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2016
Anyone been in the Snowies in the last week? Thinking about a quick late trip next weekend. Looks like they may get a little snow this week, but not expecting anything great this time of year. Just looking for any recent ride info.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
So, no new posts on Snowy Range snow conditions? Not since April? I see on Albany Lodge webcam that it is snowing a little bit. Are the Snowies also experiencing the drought conditions reported by other Rockie Mountain areas? Recent forecasts are predicting some snow this weekend? I can remember a riding partner sledding during Thanksgiving weekend about 6 years ago.

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
It has been very dry up there this year. The present system is forecast to leave 12” to 24” according to the Winter Storm Warning that’s been issued. Middle of next week has another storm in the forecast. Road and trail riding meh be ok for the next couple days. I would definitely not recall getting off the trail for another couple storms.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
To my knowledge they haven't even started grooming yet and none of the warming huts have been hauled in yet. The snow is about a month behind this year it seems. They may start grooming this weekend if the storm that is supposed to hit Wednesday/Thursday pans out.

longvalley

Premium Member
Dec 21, 2014
have they been able to pull the sheds out yet? do you know if they are starting grooming tonight? trail markers? I know snow has just kinda started piling up out there but im ready to rip from nebraska

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
have they been able to pull the sheds out yet? do you know if they are starting grooming tonight? trail markers? I know snow has just kinda started piling up out there but im ready to rip from nebraska
They def have them out. Not sure grooming, but you can call TNT motorsport in Laramie Wyoming. They ride there all the time and could tell ya. Just took this pic of Albany Lodge live web cam. I see riders there past week. Its the bottom of the mountain and always the lowest snow conditions. You can ride dirt some days in best of winter to get gas that low when major weekend and mountains full of riders ripping it up.

albany lodge.jpg

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
This pic is from Medicine Bow Lodge web cam Lowest point on west side of mountain range.

medicine bow lodge.jpg

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Well they must'a just got that snow at Albany.
There wasn't a stitch there a cpl days ago.

OK Volcano, apparently you need asked....
What's the rest of the story?
Well Albany is the basic bottom of the East side of the range. Not any real riding there. But they've been riding there since last week. No significant numbers as Im sure they mostly riding the road and trails that low. You can see on web cam over 2' at Rob Roy, but def no where near enough to get much off trail. If you ride out of Green Rocks East side or Rendezvous on west side the conditions will be much better and safer for your sled. Still I wouldnt be getting off beaten path as land mines prolly still to prevalent. I just cancelled my christmas new years trip to Togwotee as it to does not have enough snow to be safe for my snowmobile...but I see hundred plus sleds a day this week on their live web cam ..

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks. This is one our club built a while back. Once on the snow, the Forest Service didn't approve so we had to abandon it.
Let's see if I understand. The shelter was too nice and would have excssively enhanced forest users ability to enjoy their experience recreating in the national forest and do so safely. So it was axed?

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY

Try this site. It shows the states trail systems and when grooming has occurred.
Grooming has been going on in the Snowies. During the club meeting last night, we were told they are hoping to have enough snow to pull the shelters out next week.

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Just seen the groomer on Albany Lodge web cam. That means everything is groomed as Albany is the bottom of the range. Rob Roy cam and Keystone showing over 3'....both also low elevation.

Premium Features