• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile helmet communication system

W
Apr 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting some headsets for my wife and I this snowmobile season. The three headsets I am looking at are;

UCLEAR Motion Infinity

SENA 30K

Cardo PackTalk bold

Does anyone have any experience with these devices or any recommendations for me? I do ride with a group of buddies as well, possibly at some point I would be adding more people to my riding group with hopes that they would buy the same device as me and my wife. My main goal is to get a device that I can listen to music and speak with everyone in my group while we ride. I do all of my riding in Northern Wisconsin, the Minocqua area. Thanks for any help you can give.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Do not buy the Sena. Not sure about the UCLEAR. I have the packtalk slim and love them. 100% waterproof, voice controls, Bluetooth app on the phone. good clear communication and good sound quality. Range in the trees is only a few hundred yards. so that part sucks. I am looking into pairing them with bluetooth radios and a push to talk button on the bars (T800 motorola with a 35 mile range). Ill update if it works.

Dwguertin

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2017
Do not buy the Sena. Not sure about the UCLEAR. I have the packtalk slim and love them. 100% waterproof, voice controls, Bluetooth app on the phone. good clear communication and good sound quality. Range in the trees is only a few hundred yards. so that part sucks. I am looking into pairing them with bluetooth radios and a push to talk button on the bars (T800 motorola with a 35 mile range). Ill update if it works.

What don’t you like about the Sena?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
We have been using the Lexin communicators on our dirt bikes all this summer and we like them. Has a full duplex communication between 4 of them if you set them up right. Sort of nice to be able to have a conversation while riding and the range seems pretty decent in the woods as well. Might be better out west where you guys are wide open with the hills. I'm going to test our out this season to see.

Amazon product ASIN B07B5YC57G

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
On paper Sena seems like a good choice. I think the same or maybe slightly more expensive than packtalk. But they aren't guaranteed waterproof. No voice communication, the ambient noice canceling dosn't work very well. (at least for me)

Cardo slim is flush mounted so it won't hang up on stuff. The noice canceling is awesome. If i get on the throttle of my 450 or loud noises it opens the com link for 1 or 2 seconds then mutes it. Sena stays open so all i can hear is other peoples bikes or wind noise.

Whatever you choose to go with make sure it has MESH. keeps you connected in the woods when your coming in and out of range.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID

Did you ever get to try the Motorola T800 you mentioned? I’m on the fence about buying a Baofeng, BC Link, or some type in in helmet communications, but I came across the T800 radio as well. Im just looking for something easy, reliable and functional for the wife and I.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
We used Sena for a short time and the range was horrible. If i recall, they only were good for about 300 yards, and in the mountains, that is almost useless!

We now use the Baofeng radios for communications, and i got my HAM license this year.

For ATV riding, we have in-helmet headsets that have a PTT button that mounts on the handlebar. Yes there is a "wire" that is connected between the helmets, radio and the PTT button, and must be disconnected or the helmet removed when getting off the machine. But the convenience of having the PTT on the handlebar, and not having wear a backpack, or reach the mic on the shoulder to talk is great! We communicate the whole time we are riding.

On the sleds, the radio is in the backpack with a shoulder mic clipped to the backpack strap. This setup works amazingly well.

Best of luck finding what works best for you and your situation :)

jrlastofthebreed

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Did you ever get to try the Motorola T800 you mentioned? I’m on the fence about buying a Baofeng, BC Link, or some type in in helmet communications, but I came across the T800 radio as well. Im just looking for something easy, reliable and functional for the wife and I.
No ive been to busy hunting lol. Maybe in a few weeks? havn't even started converting my bike yet!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting some headsets for my wife and I this snowmobile season. The three headsets I am looking at are

Cardo PackTalk bold

Does anyone have any experience with these devices
Take a read on these two threads

https://www.snowest.com/forum/threa...-talk-helmet-to-helmet-communications.419019/

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
we use BCA for snowmobiling.. on the motorcycles we use Sena 30... really like the clarity and range (out of sight 1/8 mile,line of sight a mile)... they run 8+ hours a day. Downside is when the battery is done it says "goodbye" and it is done

Premium Features