• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest 2021 Trailer: WHICH BRAND TRAILER should I buy this time around??

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend has a Logan 28-ish' bumper pull Zbroz package trailer. It squats my F450 the same amount as an old 40' Haulmark triple axle, enclosed, gooseneck race trailer we have that's 13-14K when it's loaded with sled gear.

Last edited:

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Have you looked into ATC. Be cool to see what they could do with a sled trailer.
I have not.
Planned at looking at all the trailers that show up at the October SnowShow.

a few years ago I got an ATC race car trailer. the build quality was amazing. my buddy had recent had a high end aluminum Charmac built (and i love Charmac) and the build quality was much better on the ATC (again i loved my Charmac steel trailer.)

ended up getting an ATC Raven snowmobile trailer and loved it. fit and finish is so much better than the Trailswest. when you drive down a dirt road it actually keeps the dust out ... crazy concept irght?!?!

Ended up getting too many kids sleds so i sold it to a buddy and got an 8.5" ATC Raven. after having aluminum i dont plan on going back. IMO the only way to go.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I'm looking at trailers at the moment as well. Right now I'm between Criterion and Mirage. I found a Mirage on the lot that I'm headed to look at this weekend, but I can't find a Criterion ANYWHERE.

Sure would be nice to drive off the lot with one this weekend rather than waiting 2-3 months for the thing to be built but I've heard MIrage's quality is hit or miss. Any input on this for the newer Mirage trailers? Seems like the dealers that deal in Mirage say they are fine and the ones that don't say they have quality issues....weird, right? I plan to keep the thing for the long haul so having quality issues is not something I want to deal with.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I'm looking at trailers at the moment as well. Right now I'm between Criterion and Mirage. I found a Mirage on the lot that I'm headed to look at this weekend, but I can't find a Criterion ANYWHERE.

Sure would be nice to drive off the lot with one this weekend rather than waiting 2-3 months for the thing to be built but I've heard MIrage's quality is hit or miss. Any input on this for the newer Mirage trailers? Seems like the dealers that deal in Mirage say they are fine and the ones that don't say they have quality issues....weird, right? I plan to keep the thing for the long haul so having quality issues is not something I want to deal with.
I bought a Mirage Extreme last February and I have been very disappointed in it. Fuel station has not worked since we took delivery of the trailer. I didn’t test before I left the lot so it is kind of my fault. I have had a little bit of trouble with their customer service due to the original gentleman leaving and the warranty issue being lost in the shuffle. The skin that Mirage specs is really light too. This trailer and a smaller Featherlite sat thru the same hail storm this summer and the Featherlite has no damage and the Mirage has dents all over it. The trailers were sitting side by side and the storm even came from the direction that the Featherlite was on.
Pluses so far is the trailer is heavier than my old Triton trailer. The interior of the trailer is very functional and I love the Flooring. The trailer does pull fairly nice as well.

If I had it to do all over again I would not be buying a Mirage.

K
Jan 15, 2008
Woodinville, WA
I've been looking at Double R in Nampa also for a custom build. Seems decent, but I have not been able to see one in person to observe any build qualities yet. The two I've been focusing on are Double R and Logan Coach. If anyone ones these, can you please comment or contact me. I'd love to get your perspective. The Logan's are more expensive but are built from galvanized steel - seems better for rust prevention and a longer life trailer (maybe?).

Also, when searching for Double R feedback or trying to find anything about their trailers, I find almost nothing. Circumstance or on purpose, I don't know, but it's hard to determine reputation. I couldn't even find a listing in the BBB.

Last edited:

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I just bought an all aluminum lightning 7.5x18 with 5'v and 7' ceiling height. So far i haven't really found anything bad with the trailer except for 1 fuel door isn't squared up with the opening. It seems to be pretty well built with 16" on center floor ceiling and wall trusses. One thing im not sure if I'll like or not is that the front loading door is on the passenger side.

20210127_112557.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I just bought an all aluminum lightning 7.5x18 with 5'v and 7' ceiling height. So far i haven't really found anything bad with the trailer except for 1 fuel door isn't squared up with the opening. It seems to be pretty well built with 16" on center floor ceiling and wall trusses. One thing im not sure if I'll like or not is that the front loading door is on the passenger side.
Don't eat the yellow snow....

I notice it has a wheel on the jack. Is that trailer actually light enough to move around by hand?

Sent it

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My life always gets "Busy" in the winter and projects all fall to the wayside

One thing I think I have settled on is that I want to be able to HANG FOUR SLEDS from the ceiling in my next trailer.

So skis on the ground, but with the Tunnels up in the air, to allow four sleds to be packed in where only two would normally fit.

I KNOW I have seen this done, but can't find a photo of it anywhere.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
Someone must have a photo of a trailer setup this way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i was watching a vid on logan coach and they had a hook point on the ceiling but i think it was more or less to work on a sled. i couldnt imagine having your sleds swinging side to side while going down the road

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
i was watching a vid on logan coach and they had a hook point on the ceiling but i think it was more or less to work on a sled. i couldnt imagine having your sleds swinging side to side while going down the road
I was able to look inside a Logan trailer a few weeks ago that had the eyelet on the ceiling, was a nice feature.

As for hanging 4 sleds and driving down the road, I just can't see that being feasible. The backs of the sleds would need to be secured from multiple points to stop them from swinging around while driving.
Plus the amount of reinforcement to the walls and ceiling of the trailer to accommodate those forces while trailering down a bumpy road/highway would probably end up making the trailer weigh more than a normal 4 place trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If I recall it was a sled school trailer that was setup that way. It had 6 or 8 maybe even 10 sleds in it.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
What is ur goal?
Lighter weight or shorter length?

A trailer that can support the weight of sleds from the ceiling is gonna be heavy if built properly.

Sent it

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What is ur goal?
Lighter weight or shorter length?

A trailer that can support the weight of sleds from the ceiling is gonna be heavy if built properly.

Sent it

Both
I want a SHORTER trailer that is less likely to “Wag the Dog” of my new F150.
And on those RARE occasions I want to be able to go from 2 mountain sleds on the floor to FOUR mountain sleds hung in the air.

And by Rare, I mean once, maybe twice a year..

Premium Features