• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Hawk Chain Drive conversion

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
I found a new supplier for the parts to build the chain drive's. Reduced my cost dramatically. I can now sell chain drives for $350.00 US shipped. This is for chain and gears, if you have a stock aluminum top shaft your best bet is to get a steel one from Sledr2 as he can make them cheaper than I can and can make them for whatever clutch combo you are running.

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
Here's a pic for those who have not seen it.
attachment.php
As far as gear combo, can do whatever you need, I talk with the customer and come up with a gearing combo that works for them. can do 13,14,15 tooth top 26 to 30 bottom so ratios between 1.73 and 2.33.

chaindrive (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Definatly more rotating weight with the chain drive.. But being able to regear and not blowin belts makes it worth it to me.. I broke my 503 belt in less than 5 min first ride... But the machine had been sitting for a few years before that ride..Now that I have more than doubled the HP, im not taking any chances..I just dont want to worry about being stranded on the mountain..

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
The sprocket kit/chain I got on mine has the same weight as a 2 pulley with Torque limiter setup with the wide belt, just below 9 pounds.

You might want to get a steel Jackshaft instead of your aluminum one. The aluminum Jackshaft then becomes the weak link. If you blow your Jackshaft in the trail or deep in the backcountry, you're kinda ****ed and you need a tow back to the parking lot OR call the local Heli-Skiing operation for a quick air ride...

Way cheaper, more adjustability and less problems in the long run than Cog belt drive system. You only need to blow 2 belts to pay for more than the whole chain drive system...

If you don't have problems with the cog belt, you might want to leave it that way. Just keep in mind it's there the next time you have to buy a 200$ belt from Spécialités Industrielles Harvey !

Premium Features