• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage 3 + Kurt's Gear Down Kit - Clutch setup??

Solanakyle

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
I'm sure it's on here somewhere but I wasn't able to find it. I picked up a 2015 pro rmk 163 LE demo from a Polaris dealership in Michigan. The dealer had it shipped to them from out west. While waiting for the snow to fly, I picked up a Stage 3 kit and got to the clutch setup before noticing it wasn't the OEM helix (which SLP calls for with the low elevation kit). To my surprise, the sled came with a Kurt's Gear Down...which is great...however I don't have the OEM helix.
Has anyone had success setting up the clutching with both products? As it stands, I've got the low elevation stage 3 springs with the gear down helix.
We're leaving for Jackson Hole in 2 weeks and would like to get it dialed in prior to going.

I weight 250lbs dry (less gear/pack/fuel caddy). Looking for insight on the MTX weights, helix, and springs. If I stay with the same helix, I would imagine I'd run it at the high elevation setting for out west, low for UP.

Ride On...

Solanakyle

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Thanks. I did that today, whoever I spoke with said they've heard of guys doing it but he didn't know how/what they did. I spoke with Jim at SLP, he said given the elevation + rider weight, I'd ideally run a 56/40 but he wasn't sure what the gear down kit would do to that setup. I'm sure someone will chime in!

Thx

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Kurt's Polaris DOES have different gear ratios too.
Make sure you know which gear ratio it is.

Solanakyle

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2014
Got it figured out. I figured I'd try someone at Kurt's Seeley Lake location to see if they had an opinion since the guy at the Missoula store didn't want to "shoot from the hip" (which I appreciated). He said to run the SLP clutch kit since Kurt's wasn't designed to take on the additional HP. Obviously the logical play but wanted to hear something definitive.
For what it's worth, Jim at SLP and both guys at Kurt's were first class. Good stuff.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Im running that same ratio and a "stage 4" from Fastrax and 3" track at 6000'

My clutching:

73.5 gram MTX weights
120/330 primary
58/40 .46 helix
160/240 secondary spring
Gates 45C belt

Runs excellent!