• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled was performing poorly on the trail yesterday

M

Meyersnow

Feb 8, 2015
Breckenridge
I've got an 18 850 NA 165 with the expert spindles. My shocks are fox QS3 Coil overs all around. I was riding trail out of my favorite riding zone and I noticed it was rather darty and didn't want to hold a good line on the trail. Any advice what to do? Adjust the shocks on the QS3 a certain way? Adjust the ski stance by turning the rods? Buy durapro dampeners?

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Can you give more information? Flat trail? Just the skis were darty? Were you trying to hold sidehills? Was this happening before?

M

Meyersnow

Feb 8, 2015
Breckenridge
Can you give more information? Flat trail? Just the skis were darty? Were you trying to hold sidehills? Was this happening before?
Trail had bumps/woops. Normally the sled rode pretty decent. Didn't seem to be happening before. I have been adjusting the steering rods and even switched the skis to try and get a smoother ride. This all started when I switched out the spindles to the new expert spindles. Sled rides fine off the trail, on sidehills, and boondocking. This was just what I noticed on the commute back to the trailhead.

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
I would check that toe out is at 1/8th of an inch. If ski rubbers are in good shape then run them. The stock skis have a deep and aggressive ski keel with a carbide it makes it a dart around in frozen conditions. Especially if there are any other tracks frozen in the snow. I would experiment with a bit more pressure up front on the ski shocks 1-2 turns of preload and see what that does for you. In spring conditions I usually add more spring preload on my sled.

M

Meyersnow

Feb 8, 2015
Breckenridge
I would check that toe out is at 1/8th of an inch. If ski rubbers are in good shape then run them. The stock skis have a deep and aggressive ski keel with a carbide it makes it a dart around in frozen conditions. Especially if there are any other tracks frozen in the snow. I would experiment with a bit more pressure up front on the ski shocks 1-2 turns of preload and see what that does for you. In spring conditions I usually add more spring preload on my sled.
Thank you. What is the best way to measure this? There was for sure other tracks in the snow. I also think my skis are toed in a little. I will also increase the preload over the next few rides to see how that effects the riding style. Thanks 02Sedona

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
If you have the stock skis in it’s easy. There are triangles on the skis to use as measuring marks in front of and behind the spindle by about 6”. Grab a measuring tape and see where you are at

Premium Features