• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled in truck bed

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Carbides suck. Switch em out with wearbars.

Reversing out of your bed wont hurt anything... think about the beating your sled takes on a whooped out trail or off any sort of jump. Falling off a 3-4ft tailgate is nothing.

I also wouldnt worry about the sled wrecking your tailgate, theres very little weight on the track. Rock chips WILL happen though.

Depending on where you live you may not even need a ramp 95% of the time.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I also wouldnt worry about the sled wrecking your tailgate, theres very little weight on the track. Rock chips WILL happen though.

Depending on where you live you may not even need a ramp 95% of the time.

I have ruined 2 3rd gen Dodge tailgates hauling sleds in the bed. We run a pretty rough USFS road to our parking area, 4-5 miles each way. If you are just on the road I would guess the tailgate will be fine. Running rough roads, I wouldn't bet on it being fine...

I use the ramp from my 2 place trailer. I grab a chunk of firewood, set it to one side, throw the track up on it and slide the ramp under the track, set the sled back down on it, strap in and go. Folding ramps that you can store beside the sled seem to work even better. They are probably worth the $300.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I can't believe how smart you are.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Yes, my intelligence has it's own gravity field... Amazing to see it in action isn't it!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I believe the tailgate is under the most stress when loading and unloading, if doing so from the ground. Specifically, just before the skis enter the horizontal point or just after leaving that point. This is when you have the most weight near the center & end of the gate.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I always throw a small board under the track to keep the track from resting on the tailgate. A couple years back one side of the tailgate hinge bent a little from bouncing on a forest road early season after the bushing cracked and fell out. This made my gate a little off and rubbed on the bumper which wore off the paint. I replaced the bad bushing and linex'd the entire gate, now I could care less. It's a truck and it's got a job to do.

Premium Features