• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled has Random Bog

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Had my sled out this weekend, trying to get the twins dialed in on it. Engine is out of a 2005 700 RMK. The previous owner told me the pipes are supposed to be made for this sled/motor by SLP. I'm running 360/370 mains, +10k ft, and my needle clips are in the top slots. Sled runs great for about 15 minutes or so, then it sounds like it drops a cylinder. It will do this for maybe 5 minutes then clear up, this is a repetitive cycle. It's almost like it only does this when the pipe are at temp, when they're cold it doesn't have a problem. I do know it's firing on both plug wires when running rough. Plugs look a tad on the rich side, good in my opinion.

I did call SLP and get their recommended jetting for this sled, They claimed they never made IQR SLP pipes for a 700 edge engine. However I'm running the tuning based off of the 2002 700 twin pipes for the edge RMK chassis. I wonder if these pipes are for a different motor, I do know that they are made (stamped) by SLP.

Will follow up with a few clips of it running and some plug pictures.

Last edited:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Plug one looks like it is not running well. I would drop a different plug in that hole for starters.

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Plug one looks like it is not running well. I would drop a different plug in that hole for starters.
I did change plugs in it on sunday afternoon, the plugs above are BR8IEX (NGK iridiums). I swapped out to a BR9ES, one was brand new the other was used but clean. The issue with that is only one of them was readable because the used one was pretty black from the last time it was ran. I ran the BR9 for 5 minutes in a field, then the rest of the clip above, back to the truck. The ride back to the truck was mostly wide open except the few times I chopped the throttle.

I don't think it's a jetting issue. I think I'm having a coil problem or something else electrical related. In the past when I have had bad coils though, they were just bad, it wasn't like there was good and bad moments.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I had a stator go bad, but tested ok with ohm meter on the sled. The more load I put on it the worst it ran. Load was hand warmers on high and headlights on bright.

Premium Features