• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled and cabin Rentals in CO?

N
Jul 27, 2017
I’m new to the area(military), coming from Tug Hill, NY area. I sold our Ski-Doos. Where can we rent some Ski-doos, a quiet cabin, and hit some nice trails in the CO area?

I’ve google the WY and UT areas. I can’t justify driving 8-10 hours for a 2-3 day vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bdubs

Nov 26, 2007

At the base of the snowmobile trails in grand lake and on the trail rentals is a .5 miles from this cabin.

N
Jul 27, 2017

At the base of the snowmobile trails in grand lake and on the trail rentals is a .5 miles from this cabin.

Would we be good with the 600 ACE for the trails and playing around or highly recommend to get the Summit? Renting sleds and prices reminds me why I owned our past sleds.

N
Jul 27, 2017
Sorry, and it says “or you don’t have access right to it” so I’m assuming I have to pay for VIP to see it?

N
Jul 27, 2017
Can anyone post a link to this event other than me paying for membership? I’m just wanting to get out once this winter and test the waters.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
Can anyone post a link to this event other than me paying for membership? I’m just wanting to get out once this winter and test the waters.

There’s now way to see it with out being a paid member at this time
I’m on the road now, but maybe someone will post up the dates and place

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Mar 2, 2019
Okay guys, we have all the info a full year in advance for the 2020 SnoWest Forum Ride.

WHO
Any Premium member of the SnoWest Forums

WHAT
4 days of riding and Good Times!

WHERE
Hahn's Peak Roadhouse, just outside of Steamboat Springs Colorado

WHEN
Friday-Monday, February 14-17
That is Valentines day and President's day weekend.

WHY
Because we thought it would be a whole lot better to organize this WAY in advance for a change and see if we can't build in MORE STRUCTURE to the actual daily events. This time we will book the ENTIRE FACILITY and have a live band on Saturday Night as well!

WEB
http://hahnspeakroadhouse.com/

Sled Rentals ARE available
Guide Service IS available
Rooms have WiFi and Sat TVs
Full Restaurant and Bar
Cell Coverage
Phones in Room is UNKNOWN
They have a LARGE Meeting room we can gather in.
Sledding is from your door! No trailering required.

They only have 10 Cabins and 12 Motel Style Rooms
So space is VERY LIMITED.
If you want to attend, we STRONGLY URGE you to book RIGHT NOW.

Hopefully those that book into the Cabins WILL SHARE any open beds with other members who want to attend!

If you CALL them they will offer you a -10% discount from their online prices.

163.jpg

b705aa7aeb6c86493f726c22ac12b4de.jpg

steamboatsnowmobile-2017.gif

============

<header class="secondary"> Routt County: Powder Heaven

Published in the October 2011 Issue October SnoWest
Feature LANE LINDSTROM

A Bit Out Of The Way
In some ways, Routt County gets overshadowed by the more popular Rabbit Ears Pass and even Buffalo Pass riding areas, located south and east of the area we rode, which was near Hahn's Peak and Steamboat Lake. That's okay, it just means northern Routt County isn't as crowded as Rabbit Ears. In our two days of riding we only saw one other group of sledders and very few tracks, mostly our own.

To northern Routt County's advantage, the riding area is about 25 or so miles north of Steamboat Springs on a narrow two-lane road (County Road 129) which makes it, we guess in some people's minds, hard to get to.

The riding area in northern Routt County is separated from the Buffalo Pass riding area, and farther to the south, Rabbit Ears Pass riding area by the Mount Zirkel Wilderness, so you can't even access northern Routt County by sled, adding to its "isolated" setting.

Steamboat Lake could be considered the unofficial starting point for riding in this part of the county, mostly because that's where some services (gas, food, and lodging) are located at Steamboat Lake Outfitters (800-342-1889) and it's also where the trailheads are. The lake is in Steamboat Lake State Park, which offers a handful of miles of groomed trails for sledding, although most sledders use the trails to access Routt National Forest.

Nearly 150 miles of groomed trails fan out from Steamboat Lake, providing access to superb high elevation riding-Steamboat Lake sits at 8,100 feet and the riding goes up from there-in the shadow of the Continental Divide and other assorted peaks of varying heights, many stretching past 10,000 feet.

Both days of our ride in Routt County included a mixture of some trail riding and a heavy dose of cross country riding through lots of drainages, across wide open parks (meadows) and through thick stands of forested hills and mountains. It was a perfect blend of all the kinds of boondocking we enjoy from the seat of a snowmobile.

Day one found us heading north to play at the base of Hahn's Peak in more than a foot of untracked powder, then on to Circle Bar Basin, Dead Mexican Park (a Mexican really is buried there with a marker at the spot), Little Red Park, Big Red Park, the Continental Divide (along the Wyoming Trail), hillclimbing near the Hare Trail, climbing to the top of Dome Peak (10,524 feet) and riding parts of the Farwell Mountain Trail. Just after we hit Dome Peak we encountered a heavy snowstorm that forced us back on the groomed trail for a while before letting up and allowing us to head cross country through the trees again before heading back to the truck, literally on fumes.

Not surprisingly, the powder was deepest and lightest at the higher elevations, although even down low (if you can call 8,000-9,000 feet down low) it was very good, just not as deep.

The parks we rode through, including Little and Big Red, were untracked and the snow was good but we still couldn't help imagining what it would have been like to play on them with another two or three feet of powder. However, a couple of small parks we rode through at higher elevations were true powder stashes where the snow was coming over the hood. The snow was particularly good up along the Continental Divide (9,000 feet plus), which marks the border with the Mount Zirkel Wilderness. There is a trail along the Divide, appropriately named the Continental Divide Trail or sometimes called the Wyoming Trail, portions of which are groomed. The part of the Continental Divide Trail we rode wasn't groomed though, so we blazed our own trail through 1-2 feet of untracked powder. Parts of the stretch of CD trail we rode were wide and fairly open while in other spots it was dense trees and single track riding. The variety was fun and amazing.

The views from certain parts of the CD trail-where trees didn't obscure your view-were splendid, including in the Wilderness where peaks punctuated the horizon.

We also rode to several vantage points along the edge of the Wilderness on day two of our ride in Routt County, this time farther south in an area known as Lost Dog. That was later in the day, though, as we spent a good portion of our morning and early afternoon working to get to the top of Farwell Mountain (10,824 feet) from the south side. It was a truly amazing adventure, one we almost gave up on as the snow was so deep and we were digging our sleds out on a regular basis.

Our first route ended with us turning out to find a spot a little more wide open to climb. Part of the issue that day was that the mountain was obscured in clouds and we couldn't even really see the peak and the light was flat because of cloud cover. The second route we tried had us weaving through Quaking Aspens and pines as the hill got steeper. We made it to within a few hundred feet of the mountain top but didn't try to climb any higher due to the flat light and not being able to see a clear route to the top. Rocks, boulders and ledges littered that last few hundred feet.

So we dropped back down and found another spot, this time taking a ridge along a drainage to the top. It was a battle, but well worth it. We spent a couple of hours digging and trying to find the right path through the trees, which eventually opened up as we got closer to the top. By the time we ascended that last route, the clouds had lifted and the views from the top of Farwell were excellent. There isn't really a defined peak on top of Farwell, but more of a flat area with big rocks and trees. Once to the right spot on top, we could see our tracks from our second attempt up the mountain. We really were pretty close but the last stretch would have been treacherous.

You could see for miles in all directions from the top of Farwell, including the ski runs at Steamboat Springs, several peaks in the Wilderness and Hahn's Peak to the west.

Attachments

• 1568726202211.gif
    1568726202211.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 20
  • 1568726202268.gif
    1568726202268.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 13

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
It states that you need to be a premium member to participate in the forum ride. It's just one of the benefits of becoming a premium member.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Premium Features