• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKS 155 to SKS 146

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Tossing around the idea of selling my SKS 155 and getting a SKS 146. I live in Saskatchewan, made it to the mountains once last year and dont foresee myself going this season at all with COVID and a wife due first of March.

love my sks, question is, do i get a 146 for ditch banging and the deep northern Saskatchewan snow or go even shorter to a 136/137 length?

if i end up only making it to the mountains once or twice a year, sleds can be rented for $300-350/day.
also, wasnt too many years ago when it wasnt uncommon to see a 144 with 2” track out it the mountains, especially spring riding

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Tossing around the idea of selling my SKS 155 and getting a SKS 146. I live in Saskatchewan, made it to the mountains once last year and dont foresee myself going this season at all with COVID and a wife due first of March.

love my sks, question is, do i get a 146 for ditch banging and the deep northern Saskatchewan snow or go even shorter to a 136/137 length?

if i end up only making it to the mountains once or twice a year, sleds can be rented for $300-350/day.
also, wasnt too many years ago when it wasnt uncommon to see a 144 with 2” track out it the mountains, especially spring riding

Maybe get a matryx?

Or a SXS with a heater.

S
Dec 28, 2009
Just remember the SKS 146 is very different than the 155.

The 146 is based on the switchback assault platform. It had trail gearing, lay down streering post and torsion springs in the back.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Having stretched my old sled from 136 to 144, I'd say that you can have a lot of fun and go places on a 144/146. Depending on what you have in mind, that could be something you could ride locally and still take to the mountains. With the 136, you were a lot more limited in deep snow – 20-24" of powder was the deepest I remember taking that – and just a little hesitation or loss of momentum left you stuck. I don't see the short track being worth hauling to the mountains, but obviously deep snow is easier to handle on the flats. So it depends on how long you expect to keep it and whether you anticipate making it to the mountains more often once the hysteria clears. If you tend to upgrade every 2-3 years, I'd say just go with what works best for where you are even if it's the short track. By the way, there is the SKS 146, as well as the RMK 600/144, if you do mostly off trail riding there in SK.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I’m not a Polaris guy; so take my feedback for what it’s worth, but have you considered the more playful Khaos instead? I’ve ridden an SKS 146” in Michigan and in West Yellowstone, and just can’t get comfortable with the handlebar bend or position. It didn’t feel natural to me coming from an XM or G4. I’m sure if you’re a solid rider, it would be more than enough to have fun in the deep. I went right from a 137” FreeRide to a 154”, skipping over the 146” (which I’ve also ridden). I guess my point here is that I’m glad I went with the 154” and still find it just trailable enough, while being just right for my level when it gets deep or I go west. I think if the ergonomics of the SKS 146” was anything like the 155”, it might be different. Good luck with your decision; they all look awesome ?

Premium Features