• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid placement

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
I bought a kmod skinny and it says install in stock position. However, I don't think my sled came with the skid installed in stock position. See pics. Can someone explain to me the difference between the mounting holes for the front and back? And the logic associated with where to install the skinny.
0b7e6b732f9919e8d90fea40ebb7f907.jpg
106e6c11dc4d996ea89f259c0b178e1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
You're right, your skid has been dropped to the lower holes. You can see the sled used to be in the stock position by the evidence of where the washers left their marks in the upper holes. Why your skid was dropped remains a mystery. I dropped mine when I put the Elevate kit on my Alpha. I have no experience with the KMod so, I really can't say how that relates.

Lowering the front of the skid takes weight off the skis because it puts more skid into the snow. Lowering the rear to match maintains the stock skid attitude but gives you more skid/track in the snow. It does raise your center of gravity because the sled sits higher in the snow and can become tippy for some.

Some love it, some hate it. Some just lower the front skid bolts, some just lower the rear skid bolts. You really have to drive the sled to see what works best for you and your particular riding style.

Then there's the question of what should you do with your limiter straps if you change your skid mount holes. That's just another rabbit hole to jump into.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Does your sled have an elevate kit on it? I would say if it does, leave it where it is. Call Kevin at kmod, he’ll know better than all is internet jockeys.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Talked with previous owner. He changed the skid position to create more ski pressure. Although I'm not sure that his logic was correct. I did speak with Kevin and he recommended stock position. Which is where it's going to be placed.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Mine is in the lower drilled out hole up front and the middle hole in the rear. That's how it was setup running a supercharger and Riot front spindles.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Talked with previous owner. He changed the skid position to create more ski pressure. Although I'm not sure that his logic was correct. I did speak with Kevin and he recommended stock position. Which is where it's going to be placed.

Then why did he drop the front also? All he did was lift the rear of the sled.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
The sled is turboed and running about 7psi. So the legacy was more ski pressure. My understanding is that it lifts the front of the sled making less ski pressure. Is that correct?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Keep the Skinny suspension in the stock locations...
We have countless hours of testing & trying different combinations, and the stock proved to be what the sled and K-Mod skinny work best together in harmony.

Just an FYI---There is a 10" rear drop axle now available ( From K-Mod) for those who purchased a skinny prior, and running the 9" wheels that were included in the kit.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The sled is turboed and running about 7psi. So the legacy was more ski pressure. My understanding is that it lifts the front of the sled making less ski pressure. Is that correct?
When you drop the front , YES you are making LESS ski pressure.
The great thing about a K Mod suspension is that you now have a 4- position coupler in the rear to control ski-lift...and manage the handling of the sled much better.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Keep the Skinny suspension in the stock locations...
We have countless hours of testing & trying different combinations, and the stock proved to be what the sled and K-Mod skinny work best together in harmony.

Just an FYI---There is a 10" rear drop axle now available ( From K-Mod) for those who purchased a skinny prior, and running the 9" wheels that were included in the kit.
I have that drop axle for my 10 inch wheels. But I'm having some issues with it. Can you clear up something for me. Can you post of picture of the direction the arms are supposed to be facing? Right now I have them facing the rear of the skid however, I do t think that's correct. As it creates too much of a gap between the skid and the track in the back with too much tension in the front.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Got it figured out. Apparently there's an up and down of those axles. I had them mounted pointing down. Apparently when there is a 50/50 chance of getting it right it means there's a 90% chance I'll get it wrong.

Premium Features