• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid Clunking Sound

R
Nov 24, 2014
Hey Guys,

I have a 850 163 with Ice age bombers on it. when the suspension is at its fullest extension it makes a clunking sound and feel. So if I hit a large bump or jump you can feel the "clunk" of the suspension hitting full extension. Is this normal? I have the stock mono tubes on this sled and I am pretty sure I am pushing the limits with them on the trail because I hate going slow thru the bumps but I wanted to make sure that I have not worn something out. Sleds got about 1200 miles on it.

Thanks,

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hey Guys,

I have a 850 163 with Ice age bombers on it. when the suspension is at its fullest extension it makes a clunking sound and feel. So if I hit a large bump or jump you can feel the "clunk" of the suspension hitting full extension. Is this normal? I have the stock mono tubes on this sled and I am pretty sure I am pushing the limits with them on the trail because I hate going slow thru the bumps but I wanted to make sure that I have not worn something out. Sleds got about 1200 miles on it.

Thanks,

At 1200 miles you can assume the shock bushings are shot.

Also most of the wear points in the skid will be very sloppy.

Shocks probably have condensation in them and could use a refresh.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Seems to be where the play is..... I ordered knew ones, frustrating since the skid has been greased every 300 or so miles.
New shock bushings won’t fix it. (I doubt you will even notice the difference)

The connecting rod, internal spacers, lower rear scissor and scissor shaft will need replaced also.

Likely if you remove your rear shock it will have lost it’s nitrogen charge.

R
Nov 24, 2014

The connecting rod, internal spacers, lower rear scissor and scissor shaft will need replaced also.

So what does a guy do to fix it just run it?

R
Nov 24, 2014

How can I tell if its lost its charge?

R
Nov 24, 2014
Likely if the shock is blown (and causing the clunk) the slop in the suspension wouldn’t even be noticeable when you run a shock that’s not blown.
I have another shock from a buddy that's inbound. So I can try that. I have learned my lesson here stock suspension is not for me anymore. I know I'm snow checking so I am trying to conserve funds

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have another shock from a buddy that's inbound. So I can try that. I have learned my lesson here stock suspension is not for me anymore. I know I'm snow checking so I am trying to conserve funds

The monotubes can be had for pretty cheap usually.

My rear suspension has tons of slop but with Khaos shocks it rides smooth.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The stock monotubes really arent that great, i had the ones on my 16 revalved by Carls and it was a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Premium Features