• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ski pressure ! help asap , im riding rite now need adjustment help please

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
hey guys need help asap ! im currently riding rite now and stoped to get fuel so i thought i asked this question so i can make adjustment through out the day is front ski pressure , can be adjusted by

Front shock pre-load ? adding preload and less preload

rear and front limiter straps ? want happen if i incress or decress nut adjustment

torsion springs ? higer setting or lower setting

Track approach angle must be flat ? (level on the ground ) ?

only issue is that i got old indy steel ski's with big carbide's

I WANT TO TRY AND CARVE IN THE POWDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help

I want the front end to float ? i want 8" slydog powder hounds

im looking to make my 97 polaris extra10 crc , lighter on the front skis !!!!! in powder ! i got 2' lug track rear skid drop down 1'' in front and 1.5" in rear brackets

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
See below:

hey guys need help asap ! im currently riding rite now and stoped to get fuel so i thought i asked this question so i can make adjustment through out the day is front ski pressure , can be adjusted by

Front shock pre-load ? adding preload and less preload Increase FTS spring pressure to decrease ski pressure. Decrease FTS spring pressure to increase ski pressure

rear and front limiter straps ? want happen if i incress or decress nut adjustment Lengthen limiter strap to decrease ski pressure. Shorten limiter strap to increase ski pressure

torsion springs ? higer setting or lower setting loosen torsion spring to increase weight transfer & ski lift. Increase torsion spring pressure to decrease weight transfer & ski lift

Track approach angle must be flat ? (level on the ground ) ? only issue is that i got old indy steel ski's with big carbide's

I WANT TO TRY AND CARVE IN THE POWDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help

I want the front end to float ? i want 8" slydog powder hounds

im looking to make my 97 polaris extra10 crc , lighter on the front skis !!!!! in powder ! i got 2' lug track rear skid drop down 1'' in front and 1.5" in rear brackets

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
Merlin thankyou im gonna try it now , will let you know on sunday how it works out due too these old indy steel skis in powder ? Does it effect the float ? Or heavy steering at all ????? Will 8" skis make that much of a diffrence ??

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Yes, extend the limiter strap & crank the preload up on the front track shock. Possibly loosen the rear springs off to the point that the skid is close to bottoming out during aggressive riding.

Running just about any updated plastic ski will be a night & day difference between the factory steel skis.

Nov 8, 2014
Ny
Merlin when you say fts do you mean my rear skid front shock ? I need to crank the preload up on that shock ? And crank up my preload up on my front shocks also ? Does my track need to set level on the ground ?

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Yes,

FTS = Front Track Shock

If your machine feels heavy on the skis & is difficult to steer you may be able to improve the situation by transferring more weight to the track. You do this with a combination of the following:

- Reduce IFS spring(front) preload

- Extend front limiter strap

- Increase front track shock preload

- Decrease rear torsion spring preload

That said, you mentioned that you relocated the skid so it's a distinct possibility that no amount of adjustment to the suspension will yield satisfactory results. You may need to do a combination of repositioning the skid & lifting the font end in order to have the correct weight distribution & make it all work together properly.

It would be beneficial for you round up a manual for your machine & study the suspension section carefully. It will explain, in detail, the effects of adjustments to the front & rear suspension components. It will really make your life easier if you have a firm grasp of the theory of operation while you're trying to tune the suspension.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
merlins correct. also there should be two plastic blocks called scissor stops in the rear of skid you can adjust, make sure their in back hole, or remove all together for more transfer. newer skids dont use them. you might also have an upper and lower mount hole for your fts. put the shock more vertical for stiffer/lighter front end, lay it down more for softer/more ski pressure.
given your front end bottoming issue you talked about, i would think you want those font ski shocks cranked up.
and since you moved the skid down (straight down?) its weird that you would need to let limiter straps out but who knows. usually you move a skid more back than down, and it does have negative effect on handling.
oh and id forget 8" skis thats overkill on a 500, go with 7" it not like its a fourstroke or somethin. i have the cheap camoplast 7" skis and they float well, and go down the trail well.

Last edited:
Premium Features