• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski mounted Ice scratchers

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I put 1/4 in bolts in the inner rear of the ski sticking down say 1 inch or less sprays nicely on hi fax

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Not as well as scratchers on the skid, which is why the manufacturers put them on the skid... No need to try and reinvent the wheel on this one.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Not as well as scratchers on the skid, which is why the manufacturers put them on the skid... No need to try and reinvent the wheel on this one.

You must be ridin' backwards, b/c I've been puting them up front for 20 years.

One scratcher up front will doo at least as much as two back on the rear suspension, if not more!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
You must be ridin' backwards, b/c I've been puting them up front for 20 years.

One scratcher up front will doo at least as much as two back on the rear suspension, if not more!

Funny, I haven't seen a set in 20 years... If they are so great why don't all the mtn sleds come with them? I mean ALL of them come with rail mounted scratchers, and have for years. So your contention is that you are smarter than all of the snowmobile manufacturers put together? I think that is just amazing, congratulations...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I had ski mounted scratches on my 04 edge, i liked those. They mounted on the spindle bolt. My girlfriend kept backing up with them down, they didn't last 900 miles.

I also put some on my 14,18 and 19 cats.
These mount to the ski, and u can backup with them down, i don't like the mounting so i took them off.

Sent it

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs
Stupid as it seems for a mountain sled. I've been running these Simmons Ski Snow Deflectors on every sled and every set of skis Simmons or not since 2003/2004ish. Few years back I ordered a few sets to ensure I had some for rest of my sledding life...lol Well if I remember to remove them when I sell sled. They look stupid but the functionality is worth it. lol Never had a set break or wear out. They do bent upwards a few times a year, but a simple push down with ur boot and good as new. IMHO they are awesome when used with the skid mounted scratchers, but even when the skid scratchers aren't down they just hammer ur skid with powder.. Seems like every season I break, bend or destroy skid mount scratchs while on trip. Never a worry with the simmons and bonus to have mounted when loss of a skid mount one. On groomed packed crap they cut through snow pack and send the ice dust.... My sled will get hotter than normal operating temps on hard pack or groomed trails, but never gets hot enough to worry about overheating since adding the Deflectors. If ur familiar with Sidewinder they don't have much of heat exchanger up front and zero cooling in the skid. Bad Design. SW is the only sled Ive ever owned that I have to seriously watch temps on on groomed packed trails on way to powder riding areas. Here are couple pics...They are ugly. Ive never noticed and major difference in handling, but would assume there must be some slight. Never had any noticeable issues when they hit anything. They must as mentioned I have to push/bend them back to horizontal few times a season. Bonus besides helping my SWers cooling....my Hyperfax always lasts thousands of miles.

Attachments

• simmons snow deflectors.JPG
    simmons snow deflectors.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 100
  • Sidewinder with simmons snow deflectors.jpg
    Sidewinder with simmons snow deflectors.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 94

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Funny, I haven't seen a set in 20 years... If they are so great why don't all the mtn sleds come with them? I mean ALL of them come with rail mounted scratchers, and have for years. So your contention is that you are smarter than all of the snowmobile manufacturers put together? I think that is just amazing, congratulations...

Much ablidges for your support!
I have made many of my own gadgets for my snowmachines over the years.

You doo realize of course that the OEM's have been mimicking what the aftermarket offers for a while now?
icon_idea1.gif

On my Zx's I just made alum angle mounts that bolted on via the stud for the runner (carbides?) and drilled a hole in the rear of the ski to "hook it up" when not needed, but that didn't work very well as they seemed to get unhooked easilly, and once you back off the truck once with them down, they get bent, and won't generally hook up good again - even if straightened, so I added a heavy zip tie set loose from the trailing arm to hook it to. That works pretty good.

These are just the standard scratchers from the guys (brothers?) in Washington (Oregon?) that had them 20 yrs ago. Kan't think of their name right off, and Google doesn't pull them up. I know that they were out of stock the last time I ordered, so ??? Everyone else has knocked them off now. They prolly don't even offer them anymore?

I have not made anything for my G4 yet, but it hasn't been in anything but powder yet, so I don't even know how well the OEM scratchers work.
I have a riding chum that has talked about working on a ski mounted set too. Maybe at least one of us will have some to sell next year?
WTF.gif

You really kan't see the working end of the scratcher, but you understand that it is "hooked" in the ski currently....

Doo%20ski%20scratcher%202_zpsmtpeqg1n.jpg

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Starting Line used to make a set that mounted to the ski bolt and they worked very well. They could be easily stored up on the ski. In those days I didn't have a sled with reverse so that solved bending them.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I made some for my Edge chassis sleds since they were a 144" track and minimal rail room.
I sourced the spring off a John Deere swather, got the springs on sale for about $1.75/each.
They also rotated so reverse could be used.

Attachments

• SS down.JPG
    SS down.JPG
    369.7 KB · Views: 36
Premium Features