• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Single ring 440 rebuild

A
Nov 9, 2016
Does anyone know of the best source for rebuild kits? Lost a little compression in my 94 SS 440, (EC44 3PM) thinking the head gasket failed. Pretty sure these are the .53 oversize pistons. Engine looked brand new, no carbon deposits really anywhere on the heads, just the pistons and a little blow by it looks like. I usually use babbits but most parts are discontinued, so looking for aftermarket I guess.

20190921_160727.jpg Screenshot_20190921-172602_Drive.jpg

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've got an old 440 fan I've collected the parts to overbore and rebuild (burned down a piston and the cylinder is too far gone to hone and go); unfortunately, I haven't had time to get going on it. I just picked up the "OEM replacement type" pistons from MFGSupply – I've heard they're the same manufacturer as brands like SPI – and a Winderosa gasket set. Total parts cost was less than $100, and depending on who you ask, that may be a better way to go than Wiseco. No personal experience with Wiseco, but what I gather is that they're a lot more finicky: get the clearances too tight or ride without enough warmup and they'll seize. Not the piston's fault, really.

By the way, I'm assuming you cleaned the crown of the piston? Reason I ask is because you should be seeing a thin layer of carbon covering the middle 2/3 of it. I'd think if that's how it looked when you took the head off, you've been running way rich.

A
Nov 9, 2016
Yes I wire brushed the top to read the stamping...thanks that will help a lot. I even gave a local parts place a bunch of wiseco part numbers and never heard back....I'll check out the MFG supply. Everything on the inside looked like it should, yet the underside of the cylinder head was VERY clean. Probably due to me thinking it was carb issues for the longest time and seafoaming/tossing fuel in the heads.

Premium Features