• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Simmons Cooling Fin - Any good?

H
Dec 9, 2007
Chewelah, Washington
Junk. I had them on my last sled and all they did was get bent up and become completely inefective very quickly. Now, the SKIS on the other hand are hands down the best thing on the market in my opinion.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
I have never had any luck with them.. tried 3 different sets from simmons.. and made a couple..

Now if all those damn rocks and trees werent in the way they might last more than a day :D

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Just run a small diameter grabber screw in your ski... That way if you bend or break it it won't damage the ski and easy/inexpensive to replace.

R
Apr 13, 2002
Washington
i have had good luck with them. mine don't hang down far enough to get bent up. they funnel snow right into the track windows. the only problem i can see would be late spring gravel riding. then they will fill your track with gravel. lol. i prefer to ride deep snow anyway. so not a big concern.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
they will work, will get bent up, cost a lot of gas money, Save your money and use a 2.5 " bolt in the rear corner of your ski. Very effective, cheap, will put more snow in your rear suspension than any other product on the market, bar none. Get a 3/8 x 2.5 inch bolt, cut head off, use two nylok nuts and bolt it down.
install after unloading from trailer, or remove before loading onto trailer,
otherwise leave them on, your buddies with ice scratchers will thank you for all the snow you throw up. Keep them tight, only use the length that works, as they will be adjustable when the bolt head is removed.

Did I say cheap and effective. Use them all the time. screws will bend very easily use a bolt. any questions send me a pm

M
Nov 26, 2007
Newfoundland
^^^^^^ Most people dont want to drill holes in their skis, especially if they are aftermarket. A hole from scratchers can be easily shrugged off but a hole in a ski is nothing more than a damaged worthless ski.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I use the fins, and they have been very effective for me...temps are ALWAYS low, and tunnel is always filled with snow...

Yes they bend a little but not enough that they are not effective...personally, love them...

W
Nov 27, 2007
Go to the farm implement store and check out their rake tinges. Made me a nice set of small / light scratchers that hook to the rails, for 4 bucks. A guy I ride with made a set for his skis and they work great also. They come in all kinds of sizes so you can use your imagination.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i've had them on my last 5 sets of simmons skii's. sliders seem to last alot longer, i figure what's 25 bucks to help alleviate a problem??

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
^^^^^^ Most people dont want to drill holes in their skis, especially if they are aftermarket. A hole from scratchers can be easily shrugged off but a hole in a ski is nothing more than a damaged worthless ski.

a 3/8 hole in a ski is damaged and worthless, what planet you from, doesn't hurt ski in my opinion, but maybe you have a lot more coin than I do, I look for bang for the buck, 3/8 bolt fits the bill in ice and snow. And I would bet money the bolt throws more snow than any over priced dime store ice scratcher. For an investment of $4.00 very good value for money. The bolt must be tight to ski, and only as long as needed.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Why would a small hole make them worthless?

If you catch a rock with the bolt the first thing thats gunna give would be the plastic ski.

I think it would take a nice chunk outta the rear of the ski where the bolt was. But ive never done it so I dont know for sure.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Been running a set on all my Simmons sense the day they started making them. Still have the original set on a set and they still work fine. They bend more easily then a newer set. I average 1500-2400 miles a year and I don't have cooling issues.

I
Dec 5, 2007
Red Deer, AB
Mity mac, open your mind to new ideas, what is the difference between a bolt hole and an ice scratch er hole in a ski. I'd prefer a hole in the inside rear edge of a ski rather than in the centre, thus weakening ski. It's your money, you don't have to use the bolt scratch er, it's your choice, Seems some peeps just go blank and can't see the big picture. Deep snow riders in Bc and western sledders have been using this for a while. Yes if the bolt is to long or to loose in the ski, it may catch. You could use a screw as suggested, smaller hole, also screw will bend if hit hard.
Ice scratchers do work $50 +, Bolt $2. If you ride on the rocks maybe you should try wheels instead.

Premium Features