• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber vs Boondocker Sidekick on 2020 Alpha

B
Feb 7, 2010
CALGARY AB
Which turbo kit runs the best on pump gas between 4500 to 7000 feet? I love my 2020 alpha and almost jumping ship to ride a doo because of the shot system and the factory turbo. Does anyone have anytime on either set up and how do they run? Hoping they run good with a turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Neither had it figured out last year. Heard silber runs good now. That is why i never turboed my 19. A guy i know had a ton of trouble last year with boondockers. He sold the alpha and bought a doo.I have a 2020 alpha and a 2020.5 850t. The doo is going to feel insanely heavy compared to your alpha. Alpha steering is going to feel insanely heavy compared to the doo. Take the doo motor any day of the week but wouldn't part with my alpha.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
I have a silber on my 19 alpha and it runs awesome! I think they finally got the mapping figured out in the spring of 19, so they run great now.

I also have cycles and sleds clutching, boost gauge, manual boost t, and bov on mine though. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. I put about 500 miles on it this year and it never missed a beat. However, I always run about 30% av gas per tank to avoid det.

It honestly runs awesome! Nothing but smiles all winter.

S
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Boondocker Sidekick kit and have it tuned in. I am running a BD snorkel intake through the hood and an adjustable box. I am running the leaner off boost numbers and the richer on boost numbers. Runs great and no issues. I have seen their new Agility kit and would not recommend that kit. It pulls air from under the hood and you have to drill a new hole in your belly pan for the exhaust. They need to redesign their intake like the SIlber kit and run the exhaust through the stock exit. The side hill bogging goes away with the snorkel and fuel map changes. Pretty obvious they cater to Polaris. I spoke with Justin at Silber and he was very helpful with the questions I had. I am leaning that way for my future kit. Very clean install and heard great things on his tuning now.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a 19’ alpha with a Silber kit, runs very well now. I have a couple friends with 20.5 doo turbos, I love that motor bottom end, but very weak on top for a turbo. Pump gas vs pump gas turbo my cat is way stronger in mid/top end. Can’t stand the doo chassis those.

B
Feb 7, 2010
CALGARY AB
I have a 19’ alpha with a Silber kit, runs very well now. I have a couple friends with 20.5 doo turbos, I love that motor bottom end, but very weak on top for a turbo. Pump gas vs pump gas turbo my cat is way stronger in mid/top end. Can’t stand the doo chassis those.
You mention it runs well now...
What was it doing when it wasn't running well and what kind of fuel and boost you running at what elevation?

Z
Apr 26, 2017
You mention it runs well now...
What was it doing when it wasn't running well and what kind of fuel and boost you running at what elevation?

I can’t speak for him, but I can speak for my brief experience. The first couple maps that came out had a pretty horrendous bog on the bottom end. They fixed that with the more recent mapping.

I run mine usually around 6500 and up. The lower I go in elevation, the more AvGas I run. Typically at 8000+where I do most my riding I run about 30% Av per tank with 91. I ran 7lbs,l last year, but I’m going to run 10lbs next year.

Have you ever ran a turbo? One thing I’d warn you on is I do miss my stock bottom end some days. In real steep situation, I miss the having the ability to slow down and not ride so fast to keep the turbo spooling. Also, there is some tinkering that needs to be done. I’ve had to add/drop weight multiples times on trips, and adjust boost. It’s all really simple, but it’s not dump gas, and oil, and go like it used to be. However, it’s absolutely a blast.

I honestly think I went backwards in riding in most riding situations till I got the hang of boost!

B
Feb 7, 2010
CALGARY AB
I can’t speak for him, but I can speak for my brief experience. The first couple maps that came out had a pretty horrendous bog on the bottom end. They fixed that with the more recent mapping.

I run mine usually around 6500 and up. The lower I go in elevation, the more AvGas I run. Typically at 8000+where I do most my riding I run about 30% Av per tank with 91. I ran 7lbs,l last year, but I’m going to run 10lbs next year.

Have you ever ran a turbo? One thing I’d warn you on is I do miss my stock bottom end some days. In real steep situation, I miss the having the ability to slow down and not ride so fast to keep the turbo spooling. Also, there is some tinkering that needs to be done. I’ve had to add/drop weight multiples times on trips, and adjust boost. It’s all really simple, but it’s not dump gas, and oil, and go like it used to be. However, it’s absolutely a blast.

I honestly think I went backwards in riding in most riding situations till I got the hang of boost!
I have never had a turbo, now that skidoo has a stock turbo I want one really bad. I have just heard horror stories about turbo sleds. I like power but I hate having a machine that doesn't run crisp and clean. I ride a lot of technical areas where being smooth is important to thread the needle so to say. Power application is important and having a sled that doesn't require a lot of time tinkering on is important to me. I love tinkering in the garage, but she better run right on the hill. No point in having a turbo only to be the last guy up the hill because of tinkering all the time....

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If you’re worried at all about tinkering and you can actually ride that crappy doo chassis, then buy a doo turbo you won’t regret it, it really is a fantastic sled! I just strongly prefer the cat or Polaris chassis.

Z
Apr 26, 2017
I have never had a turbo, now that skidoo has a stock turbo I want one really bad. I have just heard horror stories about turbo sleds. I like power but I hate having a machine that doesn't run crisp and clean. I ride a lot of technical areas where being smooth is important to thread the needle so to say. Power application is important and having a sled that doesn't require a lot of time tinkering on is important to me. I love tinkering in the garage, but she better run right on the hill. No point in having a turbo only to be the last guy up the hill because of tinkering all the time....

Those are all great points. Some guys will probably tell you their turbo is 100% pull the rope and go. I'd say mine is close. If I rode the same elevation and places all the time, it probably could be. My first trip in Montana we were riding 8K-10K and I had it dialed in perfectly. My next trip out, was at 11K-12K and I could only pull 7800 rpm the first day because I didn't get the weight quite right. Granted, once you have a turbo and talk to some guys, you can keep track of these things and they become non issues.

You can probably be smooth with a turbo, but I haven't figured that out yet or at least with higher boost. It's a little doggy on the bottom but they it turns into some pretty violent power once your on it. Some days I feel like the sled is riding me and I'm not riding it. However, I'd say the fun factor was through the roof. The more I rode it, the better I got on it. You do have to adjust your riding style some. However, on my next build I will probably go away from the turbo. I have nothing bad to say, I'm just looking for more clean and consistent power. If I can afford it, I'll be doing a speedwerx supercharger. Otherwise I have heard great things about there stage 2.

Bottom line, I think you'd be happy with a turbo. It's a bit of a learning curve, and like I said, all the tinkering is minimal but it's there. However, when your stock buddies are stuck half way up the hill and you come flying by on a wheelie at about 40 miles per hour... well thats pretty dang fun!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Turboes are a hoot but there are days where i think naturally aspirated is more fun. Deep days it's a no brainer. I've had pull and go but i never keep them that long. Just rode my old 18 turbo yesterday. Ran awesome but they just got done putting airbox back on. Clamps must have been loose. He also had to weld one staple back on for exhaust spring. 2 years flawless for me after i fixed a pin hole in a coolant hose going to turbo. Fairly minor stuff for him. 3 year of boost and he turned it to 7 pounds. I ran it at 5 on straight pump fuel.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have 1200ish miles on my alpha Silber and haven’t touched it since installed at 200 miles. Same with my Khaos Silber turbo 600 miles and just gas and oil. I do ride the same altitude every time I ride though, so once the clutching is set there is no need to change it. Pretty much run at 5lbs on both sleds.

Premium Features