• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber turbo, things to watch for

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
A lot of my slower NA friends where cracking their NGK plugs last winter. We figured it was a bad production run.

If o2bncamo is right, detonation can be very expensive. If it is detonation you need to get it fixed quick.

I add 10% race gas as cheap insurance.
I did have detonation once after I started adding race gas . It was at the start of a day when I would get into the throttle. It cleared up after a while and I the rest of the day it was fine.

Thanks for the response. We have it narrowed down to a few different things. This season we will be trying a low compression head to help bring the octane level needed down a little. I guess time will tell. ?‍♀️

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Black / Yellow in the secondary. Sorry about that.
174-3" with a tki belt drive conversion. 2.34 gear ratio. 25 tooth top gear. 26 tooth is to high for the load and squeaked a belt once and put it back. I have a 24 to hear it down. I'm going to try it out this season.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Black / Yellow in the secondary. Sorry about that.
174-3" with a tki belt drive conversion. 2.34 gear ratio. 25 tooth top gear. 26 tooth is to high for the load and squeaked a belt once and put it back. I have a 24 to hear it down. I'm going to try it out this season.
Please Post the results of the 24 tooth. Where did get the 24 t from? Cheers

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Randy we need to hook up this winter if we get any snow. I understand the track length and load but I can’t wrap my head around that sec spring rate, the helix, and your lower gearing.

R
Apr 20, 2015
I b
Have a Silber on a 16 axys sks and it keeps blowing the spark plugs (seems to be always on the exhaust side). The porcelain is actually breaking free and moves up and down inside the outer ring. Anyone experience this issue and have any thoughts/suggestions on what the issue may be?
l had one plug do this with under 1000 k on my new patriot before i boosted it, never had one do it again though. Maybe just bad batch manufacturing.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Just put a silber on my 2.6 163 New to turbo sleds. Anything out of the ordinary to watch for or anything you've done before riding? I plan on putting reflective tinfoil tape on my side panel and maybe underside of the hood directly above.. anything you've done at all to improve your overall experience I wanna hear it!!

Thanks

Hi, Just wondering how it's been now that its been a year. I'm looking at buying a used Silber setup (400miles) to put on my 2018 RMK 800. Wondering what you've learned over the past year. And if you have much experience running it at low elevation, like 1000 feet or so.

Thanks!

kmg

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2012
Hi, Just wondering how it's been now that its been a year. I'm looking at buying a used Silber setup (400miles) to put on my 2018 RMK 800. Wondering what you've learned over the past year. And if you have much experience running it at low elevation, like 1000 feet or so.

Thanks!
Well I only get 1 trip a year. Last year was interesting. I put the kit on with 1400 mi. Compression checked good before installing.
Day 3 I had no bottom end but got off the mountain fine so long as I kept the Rpm over 5500 ish. Got back had low compression on one cylinder. Tore it down and put new pistons and rings in. Cylinders and old pistons were fine the rings were really rounded. I was doing second heat cycle and fowled a plug and it burped at about 8000 rpm. New plugs did nothing adjusted idle with meter. It clearly needed it bad. But it still didn't run on both. Got home and tore out the reeds or the lack of on that side. She runs like a top now. I leave in week and a half. Fingers crossed. So depending on miles might be a good idea to start with fresh internals and reeds.

I live at 1000 feet. Being ever so light on the throttle (clutched for 10k) it will det with less then 50% av and 5 pound spring. I run about 70% but I have never pinched it here and have only ride it maybe 20 miles of ditch. I suppose if I reclutched it would be different.

As for clutching I ran silber last year and it was just fine for me. HOWEVER I have never reclutched any sled other then weights for elevation and trying a different primary spring in my edge trail sled. So I don't exactly know what I have or what I'm missing out on. With that said I ordered at TRS kit this year, didn't receive yet though so I don't know if I'll be running it or not. Tony is great to work with, patient with my lack of knowledge. He was out of helix's is the only reason why I haven't received yet. My bad for not ordering much sooner.

Premium Features