• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo-Running Problem

N
Jan 1, 2017
I'm having issues with 3lb spring

Hello, my sled has the popping, missing, cutting out issue. Using 3lb spring. I've tried everything, double checked everything. It's very inconsistent. Started with the 76-78 grams but was really bad then. Assuming rev limiter, yesterday Had 84 grams in it, backed down to 81 now. 5 gallons premium with 2 gallons of 110 then added to more and didn't change anything. put some time on it tonight same issues. Seemed a little better. Seems like lean popping to me. No DET codes. Scares me...been talking to the guys at silber but haven't gotten anywhere....

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
What spring were you running during this popping/sputter problem, 5lb? Anyone see this popping/sputter with the 3lb spring with silber at low elevation?

I got it on the 5 lb and 3 lb spring. Still think my issues are specific to fueling and my sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Hello, my sled has the popping, missing, cutting out issue. Using 3lb spring. I've tried everything, double checked everything. It's very inconsistent. Started with the 76-78 grams but was really bad then. Assuming rev limiter, yesterday Had 84 grams in it, backed down to 81 now. 5 gallons premium with 2 gallons of 110 then added to more and didn't change anything. put some time on it tonight same issues. Seemed a little better. Seems like lean popping to me. No DET codes. Scares me...been talking to the guys at silber but haven't gotten anywhere....

Check your compression. I was lazy and figured there wasn't enough time on the sled to worry about it. Had I done that I would have saved myself some serious headache and cash.

I would pull the y-pipe and see what you can see on the cylinders as well.

Last edited:
O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
I would definitely be checking the plugs and wash if u have popping. Just thinking out loud but could the popping be from a combination of light clutching causing the boost to fall off creating a rich condition? I have a procharged zo6 and put a different fuel pump in and it would pop like crazy it was so rich. Retuned and all was good. I know two completely different engines but just throwing it out there.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I got it on the 5 lb and 3 lb spring. Still think my issues are specific to fueling and my sled.

Wondering if the fuel pump is just not delivering enough fuel. Just like for a carb NA engine, need bigger jets. Also, as posted above, could clutching be the problem, don't know. Anyone seeing this popping using the stock helix, per silbers testing?

N
Jan 1, 2017
Think it needs more than than 84 grams? I can't get anymore weight in them. I have the springs in the clutches that came with the kit, open for suggestions on trying something else...different helix? it fires right up, idles great, doesn't quit going from forward to reverse, I can check cylinders and such in the next couple days. Really seems like a fueling problem, but how does a person go about checking that, and if it is, should the DET code come on? Appreciate the input.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I would definitely be checking the plugs and wash if u have popping. Just thinking out loud but could the popping be from a combination of light clutching causing the boost to fall off creating a rich condition? I have a procharged zo6 and put a different fuel pump in and it would pop like crazy it was so rich. Retuned and all was good. I know two completely different engines but just throwing it out there.

Definitely would cause it it.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
For the guys with the issue.

What RPM range are you running? Shoot for 8300-8400 under load on a pull.

What fuel mode? Try both modes

Make sure your plugs are gaped to .020. I like a tight .020

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
For the guys with the issue.

What RPM range are you running? Shoot for 8300-8400 under load on a pull.

What fuel mode? Try both modes

Make sure your plugs are gaped to .020. I like a tight .020

Some of the sleds (mine included) have tried to hit 8300 and nope- the popping and missing are prohibiting getting to that RPM - changed modes and no difference and spring changes also- Running 2 gal 100llc -lighter on weights than Silber specifications
checking fuel pumps tomorrow Service book says 58-60 psi-
All Results are with a load on the motor-
All will scream down the trail and hit the hard limiter cause of the lighter weights - almost no load.

Changing relays tomorrow for the power valves-.... some were corroded pretty bad - some were not - but same issues and trading relays..
TPS are going under the Fluke tomorrow to check specs- my sled was way out checking it tonight and brought the idle up to 1850 where it used to be at 1500- not ridden it yet.....
This is all at high elevations....

Last edited:
J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Some of the sleds (mine included) have tried to hit 8300 and nope- the popping and missing are prohibiting getting to that RPM - changed modes and no difference and spring changes also- Running 2 gal 100llc -lighter on weights than Silber specifications
All will scream down the trail and hit the hard limiter cause of the lighter weights - almost no load.

Changing relays tomorrow for the power valves-.... some were corroded pretty bad - some were not - but same issues and trading relays..
TPS are going under the Fluke tomorrow to check specs- my sled was way out checking it tonight and brought the idle up to 1850 where it used to be at 1500- not ridden it yet.....

Boost level?

Sounds crazy but swap your belt to something not glazed/worn. How new are the plugs?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Going to swap to 3# spring for the weekend. Run less weight and swap to half and half AV gas.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Quick question - where are the relays to the powervalves? Just want to dielectrical grease them now...

D
Oct 31, 2013
NH
Quick question - where are the relays to the powervalves? Just want to dielectrical grease them now...

Take the hood off and stand in front of the sled they are the two little black boxes on the right side of the cross member. I put new ones in and covered them with a plastic sandwich bag and tapped it up to keep the water out.

N
Jan 1, 2017
I made it up to the silber guys yesterday, great guys! Mine was a combination of little things, the TPS was out of spec, my gram scale was off about 3 grams, ( must also stand weights up on end if you have magnetic ones, as they mess up your scale) belt deflection they recommend keeping it as tight as you can. and you have to make sure the ports on the waste gate are lined up properly. I am at about 81.5 grams on the flat land here.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Boost level?

Sounds crazy but swap your belt to something not glazed/worn. How new are the plugs?

Belts are brand-new and tried old ones also zero difference plugs look like a nice chocolate brown on some others they were running a little rich but not wet all clutches are aligned and given Correct deflection and sheve offset- fuel pumps are within the 1 pound of each other

Local Polaris dealer and a few in the surrounding states told me they are starting to see electrical gremlins in the wiring of some 2016 sleds now.
if the TPS doesn't help, the only thing left is to check the reeds.
Compression spot on for elevation (105 cold) when comparing it to other sleds riders I know riding in the surrounding states.

R
Jan 20, 2014
I made it up to the silber guys yesterday, great guys! Mine was a combination of little things, the TPS was out of spec, my gram scale was off about 3 grams, ( must also stand weights up on end if you have magnetic ones, as they mess up your scale) belt deflection they recommend keeping it as tight as you can. and you have to make sure the ports on the waste gate are lined up properly. I am at about 81.5 grams on the flat land here.

What are is the specific procedure for lining up the waste gate ports??

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I know some will elaborate a little bit more but the easiest thing to do is to remove your boost spring and the outer ring on the turbo smart wastegate
When you reinstall the black turbo smart wastegate cap you will be able to feel - turn it by hand and feel the stops. The cap will quit turning there are several stops within the diameter of the mating surface. this is the correct position to ensure sealing of the wastewater cap.
Now reinstall with spring and locking ring and firmly press down turn and turn feeling for the stops / notches and spin the locking ring on to hold into locked position. It doesn't need to be gorilla tight either
Ensure you have only one of the plugs in the cap OD or you will over boost

Hope this helps

Premium Features