• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo-Running Problem

R
Jan 20, 2014
Please Help. I have a 2016 800 Axys (Rush Model) with a Silber Turbo.

I am running at Sea Level (1000 feet) with the 5lb spring in the waste gate. I am running a 50/50 mixture of 100LL Av Gas and 93 Octane Pump Fuel.

When I am running at or near wide open throttle or under hard accelleration I have what can only be described as a miss or stumble.

I have double and triple checked everything. There are no codes in digital wrench, the TPS is set to .947 at idle and I am running in the ethanal mode.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you in advance.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Is there a chance you are over reving?

Also it might be det, at 5# and mixed 50/50 ... it might be not enough octane at your elevation. Easiest thing to do would drain the tank, put in 5 gallons of straight av gas and see if it is still there. That way you can eliminate the easiest option . Then sweeten your brew as needed

R
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you all for your help. I am really at a loss here.

I should have mentioned in my original post that I started out running straight VP C12 (112 octane) with 3lbs of boost and it had the problem. I then started cutting the C12 with 93 pump gas until I got to a 50/50 mixture. When I did this it seemed to get better but still there.

Then I went to exactly what Silber said to do in their instructions which was run 50/50 av gas and pump with 5lbs of boost.

Again, I am at a loss

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
What are u running for clutching? I found the silber recommended clutching too lite and had to add a couple grams to load it. I bet you are bouncing off rev limiter and it happens fast.

O

orange2

Feb 1, 2010
Also, I'm running 3lb spring at 1000-1200 ft, venom 65g weights loaded 5g 5g 4g and it's very close. Runs 8400 up top, I still get an occasional over rev to 8600 in the mid range but that was on Rock hard snow. 16 rmk assault

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
First, make sure your plugs are gapped to 0.020

Second, like others have suggested, be sure you are keeping RPMs in check. Though Silber likes the sled to stay between 8400-8500, I always clutch for 100 RPM lower just to keep my RPM from spiking (where I KNOW this can happen). Also be SURE you aren't getting belt slip. This is a common problem and a reason I run a steeper helix.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Too high of rpm, get it down around 8350. At 1000' and running trails the 3 will be very impressive but either way at the lower elevation you need to get rpms down. Also I would recommend a steeper helix.

As said by JJ, get those plugs gaped down to a tight .020 and maybe try the EYA plugs.

Coldestwinter1

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2014
New york
I'm running the same setup at sea level defiantly had to ad weight I'm up around 83 grams now at 3lbs 2 gallons av gas to a tank it ran spot on and no av gas still ran clean but didn't seem to pull as hard out the whole but that could be in my head. Stock helix on the SBA 2017. With 81 grams was running 8500 instantly. No studder on top just every seldom if I'm on the throttle hard for a while then off and back on.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Swapped to EYA plugs for my long 3 day weekend away this past holiday weekend and haven't gotten that stumble yet. The snow conditions were less than ideal though so I'm hoping to get it in the steep and deep this coming weekend to truly put these plugs to the test but at 5# I was getting this same issue you are having. I've gapped the EYA plugs to .020 as well.
86 grams, silber clutch kit with a 42-44 helix and straight AV gas with some Klotz uplon mixed in and I was at 840' - 1600' elevation this weekend.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Thank you all for your help. I am really at a loss here.

I should have mentioned in my original post that I started out running straight VP C12 (112 octane) with 3lbs of boost and it had the problem. I then started cutting the C12 with 93 pump gas until I got to a 50/50 mixture. When I did this it seemed to get better but still there.

Then I went to exactly what Silber said to do in their instructions which was run 50/50 av gas and pump with 5lbs of boost.

Again, I am at a loss

Still fighting similar issues on my sled and I have stopped riding it worried about damage to my motor.

I have swapped every part there is to swap. I honestly think there is something wrong with my sled not the turbo.

For now I am riding the wife's G4 until I find more patience to work on it. Man I miss riding the Axys. 850 is nice, but the Axys is so much nicer especially when your boost is running strong.

Something you might consider is fuel pressure. Heard of another 16 with silber kit and same issues and they put in a new fuel pump and it cleared up.

Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Jan 20, 2014
Hello Keith

No I have not got it figured out yet, but listen to this :) :)

My wife has a 2016 800 Axys (Bone Stock). My turbo sled was/is a also a 2016 800 Axys. So I took the complete turbo off of MY sled and put it on my wifes sled. Although this was a pain in the *** it would definitely tell me if it an issue with a Turbo or some other sled related problem (ie, sensor, wiring, etc. etc.).

So I took out my wifes newly turbo’d sled today and you would not believe it but it does the same thing.

So I am not sure what to do??

The best way I can describe it is as a POP or STUTTER...It seems like a may here it a bit through the intake but not 100% sure. If it was not doing this I would be very happy with it as it pull very strong but this pop, stutter or whatever it is, is very unnerving. Like you I am not going to ride it until it gets figured out somehow.

Thank You
Scott

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
How are both the sleds before the turbo install ?
Also remember that even though your idle setting is it .940 if you have not checked your base setting that .940 is not worth much

Very strange though that you would have the same result after swapping turbos but also remember that with a turbo install it magnifies any set of problems that you might've had but were unrecognizable

Last edited:
R
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you. Both sleds ran perfect before the turbo install.

Both sleds are doing the same 100% identical thing when I swap the turbo between the 2 sleds. I have access to Digital Wrench and there are no codes or anomalies that I can detect.

R
Jan 20, 2014
did you try adding weight ? or changing clutching ?
did you try changing plugs ? and gapping them ?
can you post video ?

Hello

Yes I tried adding weight. On the 3lb spring and the six pound spring I am much heavier then what Silber Recommends plus I am not seeing anywhere near an over rev. 8300 to 8400 every time.

I did change plugs and have them gapped at .020

I will figure out how to post a video

Thank You

polaris_guy13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I am also having the same problem but mine seems to be due to hitting the rev limiter. I am running 3lbs with a 50/50 av/pump mix. I thought it was something going bad but I took my GoPro and mounted it so it would watch the rpm gauge and sure enough it would bounce to 8600 and limit out. The clutching was set at 8400 but if the track caught a little air on a bump it was just enough. This condition only happens when running a trail at high speeds. If I am in the woods or powder playing around it has never happened. I could add more weight but it is set perfect for what a RMK is built for deep snow and I don't run the trails much and barely at WOT if I do.

Note: I am not running the silber clutch kit. I have the Indy Specialty setup. Turbo Weights, springs and helix. I must say that this setup is great, cool clutches and lots of fun.

Last edited:
R
Jan 20, 2014
I am also having the same problem but mine seems to be due to hitting the rev limiter. I am running 3lbs with a 50/50 av/pump mix. I thought it was something going bad but I took my GoPro and mounted it so it would watch the rpm gauge and sure enough it would bounce to 8600 and limit out. The clutching was set at 8400 but if the track caught a little air on a bump it was just enough. This condition only happens when running a trail at high speeds. If I am in the woods or powder playing around it has never happened. I could add more weight but it is set perfect for what a RMK is built for deep snow and I don't run the trails much and barely at WOT if I do.

Note: I am not running the silber kit. I have the Indy Specialty setup. Turbo Weights, springs and helix. I must say that this setup is great, cool clutches and lots of fun.

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify, you have the Silber Turbo Kit but are running Indy Dan's Clutching? Am I correct?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Hello Keith

No I have not got it figured out yet, but listen to this :) :)

My wife has a 2016 800 Axys (Bone Stock). My turbo sled was/is a also a 2016 800 Axys. So I took the complete turbo off of MY sled and put it on my wifes sled. Although this was a pain in the *** it would definitely tell me if it an issue with a Turbo or some other sled related problem (ie, sensor, wiring, etc. etc.).

So I took out my wifes newly turbo’d sled today and you would not believe it but it does the same thing.

So I am not sure what to do??

The best way I can describe it is as a POP or STUTTER...It seems like a may here it a bit through the intake but not 100% sure. If it was not doing this I would be very happy with it as it pull very strong but this pop, stutter or whatever it is, is very unnerving. Like you I am not going to ride it until it gets figured out somehow.

Thank You
Scott

Considering my sled just blew up yesterday STOP running that turbo kit and pull your top ends off and check for damage before you blow up your motors.

I just pulled mine apart and it is cheaper to buy a new short block than parts to rebuild.

Also ran into a guy who lost his 16 last year with this kit.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
I have another post in the turbo section about this as well.

Premium Features