• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber Turbo hesitation/bogging issue 2018 pro rmk 800

J
Dec 15, 2018
Hey everyone, looking for some help with getting my turbo sled to perform as it should. I have a terrible hesitation/bog from a dead stop with my sled. Installed the non intercooled turbo kit on my 2018 pro rmk 800 this fall "ecm reflash 12/2018" and first time out on the sled just did not perform as I think it should. I was riding at 8 to 10k elevation with 7lbs boost spring installed 70/30 pump gas/vp110 mixture. The issue does not seem like turbo lag at all but more of a engine misfire type issue but is only present from a dead stop situation. Since I live in Ohio and ride out west its hard for me to troubleshoot the issue. Called Silber couple times and haven't been able to reach anyone there yet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Are you hitting full throttle from an idle? I have a buddy, with a sidekick, and he would do that and kind of overload the turbo. I always bump rpm closer to engagement before I wale on it so I never had it happen when I rode it. Might not be the problem but that is what his would do. Ran flawless the way i ride it.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
My 17 174" was doing the same with Silbers recommended clutching.
I had to run a couple extra grams to lessen the symptom. I believe that the engine gains rpm to fast and the ecm freaks out. All I know for sure is a that the Indy specialty clutch kit got rid of the bog completely. Not once has it done it since installing the clutching.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Without riding it, I dont know if you have a mechanical or ECU flash issue but my guess is its clutching related. If you are running silber's adjustable weights, take weight out of the heel and place more weight in the middle and tips. It will keep it from tryin to close the clutch so fast and will help with the low end. It will also help pull harder through the midrange and upper rpms. Made a big difference in my 800ho when I had too much weight in the heel.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Also check your plugs / gap.

My brothers 18 silber had a stutter. (Near dying right off idle when you applied throttle)

Plugs were loose. (Detonation)

J
Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking that it may be clutching related as well, sled revs to approximately 4600 before engaging. I have reached out to a couple companies for a different clutch kit setup. Any recommendations? I am running BPR9es plugs I will have to check the gap on them.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I was thinking that it may be clutching related as well, sled revs to approximately 4600 before engaging. I have reached out to a couple companies for a different clutch kit setup. Any recommendations? I am running BPR9es plugs I will have to check the gap on them.

Set your gap at a tight 20.

Highly recommend Indy Specialties for clutching. It’s perfect. Silbers clutching will get you on the snow, that’s about it.

J
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Going to look into a good clutch kit before the next trip. I will post what my findings are after the next ride.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
If you continue to have issues, post a video and I bet someone on here could tell you exactly what you need to do to fix your issue. With a turbo, you MUST gap your plugs tighter (.020" is good). This may be your issue, although you'd probably get hesitation issues at WOT too. From your description it seems you may be pinning the throttle from idle. That'll get you a bog, no matter what, but even more with a turbo. If so, don't do that. It's hard on engines and belts.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Change spark plugs to 9 eya .20 gap

This^^^^^

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Going to look into a good clutch kit before the next trip. I will post what my findings are after the next ride.

You should be able to get it clutched pretty good for low/mid/ and high range with silber's kit if you play with the adjustable weights. I would do that before buying someone else's kit and if you're still not happy , then do it. My .02. Let us know what u find!

Last edited:
P

polarisboyc

Aug 10, 2009
Utah
I have a 17 axys with a silber and I gap my plugs at 18. I'm sure 18 or 20 will be fine, I'm running an almond primary and black and silver secondary with a 48 straight helix and weights around 76 grams. I ride around 10,000 feet but I'm only running 5 pounds in mine. That spring set up seems to be pretty common for a lot of turbo guys regardless of boost. Might just need to load the weights up a little more for your set up. I'm sure your bog will go away with some weight adjustments and plugs being gapped correctly

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I could be wrong, I don't know the axys engine but you should be safe to run straight pump gas at only 7# at 8-10k feet?

I can get 94 octane pump gas, ran 7# at 5500-6k feet. I have some other issues with my sled however When held pinned It never detonated on me.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I could be wrong, I don't know the axys engine but you should be safe to run straight pump gas at only 7# at 8-10k feet?

I can get 94 octane pump gas, ran 7# at 5500-6k feet. I have some other issues with my sled however When held pinned It never detonated on me.

Yes if it's 94 I don't trust any pump gas.

J
Dec 15, 2018
My hesitation/bog issue is present anytime when hitting throttle, whether is part or closer to full throttle. I have built several turbo equipped machines and it doesn't not seem like turbo lag at all, but much more like a filed plug type misfire issue. I am gonna change plugs and gap them to what you guys recommended. I will keep everyone posted once I get back from my trip in a week. thanks

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
So to be clear with the adjustable weights it matters how far they are threaded into the weights? I apologize for my ignorance

I'm wondering this my self, I also have adjustable weights with set screws, can't remember what it's at now I also welded to the tips some weight, only to try and keep my top rpm spikes lower... . I notice right now that my lower end is slow and boggy.... However Im feeling it's because it's not free to rev up like it should... Boost comes on and it takes the sled a. Moment to overcome its self then take off, whether it's just too much tip weight or what?

I'd think tip weight would affect evetything above and beyond the rest of the weight like in the middle/heel? I was reading some say to remove weight set screws n the middle of your weight for a quicker mid range rev, but I'm unsure how true or well that would work.

Premium Features