• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber 850 test ride/ review

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I was lucky enough to get to put a number of miles in various conditions on a pre-production 850 kit last spring. It was very impressive in power and ride ability but still had some room to grow. Fast forward till Hay-Days.

With the season coming up, I got a box of update goodies to make it a consumer version that everyone is getting right now and as the parts went on we were lucky enough to get some killer early season snow to test it out.

This thing is seriously awesome. The doo market has NEVER had anything that runs this good in the past. Full bolt on, no cutting, modding, etc. Install is stupid simple and clean. No dinking with tuning. Kit gets installed, put in proper weight for boost levels and elevation per recommendations. Gas and go. We put on 15 miles in some impressive snow for september. Running just 3psi on pump to keep it from being too fast for low snow was still very impressive. The sled never hiccuped, stuttered, coughed, nothing, it ran like a stocker. Heck, it ran better then half the 800 etecs do when you put a can on them. Throttle response and clutching was right on and I cannot wait to put it into some nasty tree lines when winter rolls around. This motor LOVES boost and makes some impressive power.

The Silber crew knocked this thing out of the park. Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfocSsbFLZI&t=9s

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
Not trying to be a J/A here...but...you got anymore details other than it ran great and a short ride in low snow? Full disclosure I had 2 Silber kits last year on 16 Axys and one is fantastic and the other one melted down so I am a bit of skeptic. Still interested in looking at Justin’s kit, but want some deets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Not trying to be a J/A here...but...you got anymore details other than it ran great and a short ride in low snow? Full disclosure I had 2 Silber kits last year on 16 Axys and one is fantastic and the other one melted down so I am a bit of skeptic. Still interested in looking at Justin’s kit, but want some deets.

What do you want to know? Kind of hard to have a ton to say at this point given It only has ~300 boosted miles on it and only 20 are with the full production kit running in September snow. It has been a rock solid setup right now and the person who puts the most miles on it only opens the side panels to put oil in it when the light comes on. Pull and go and clean running so far.

Since it started life as a pre-production kit it has an AFR gauge on it runs very nicely with very safe conservative numbers. The cool thing about the etec motors is how much tuning they do based of the egt probes. This allows it to do a surprising amount of correction to make sure its running just right.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Got one comming as well, need to send ecm off soon, what's your thought on the oil line to turbo idea( dead heading it)Sounds very clean and I bet kit is pretty light over all, any idea if there is a weight loss?

How long to do install..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The oil line dead headed in the turbo works great, simple, clean and light. They have it running on 1000's of polaris kits so i think its pretty well proven out in that regard.

Install is easy compared to lots of other kits. The chassis is a little tight for running the oil line and intake plumbing but they pre-assemble the kit and really pretty quick and clean to drop in. Install time is probably 2-3 hours for somone who is used to the chassis and closer to 8 for a guy who is new to it and really taking his time. Also having the proper clutch tools so you don't have to dicker around with pulling the secondary shaft out saves some time for sure.

as far as overall weight gain/loss. I didnt weigh it all but its probably about a wash. turbo setup is very similar in weight to the OEM can and the intake piping is similar to OEM airbox. It does upen up a nice amount of room around the backside of the secondary which will hopefully prove beneficial for the clutches letting air flow around a little better.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Lost a turbo on my impulse for oil pump fuse burning out and wrecked a month till it was all fixed, actually going to plum new turbo the same dead head way on the both kits.. Makes sense even thou the manufacture is not sure about it..

Does it need boost and a/f gauge or can that be left off as well, how hard to change boost levels?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
@Wheelhouse - This is the kind of transparency and detail I prefer. Nothing is perfect, but being transparent and not hiding if there is a problem is what will convince me.

When my turbo went down on my Axys last year and all of sudden information from silber instantly stopped after a phone call...That really sucks as a guy who wants help rather than looking for blood. I still don’t know if it was a Polaris issue or issue with the kit...only thing I found was a bunch of people in the same situation without any answers. In fact it was other Silber dealers who came to my aid to try and help...So keep up the good work providing the details and support even when it sucks to have to own a problem. That is what keeps most people coming back to you for business.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Just wanted to show off pictures of the production airbox installed. Molded plastic means no harmonics are going to cause it to crack. Also doesnt touch the chassis anywhere so again, no risk of failure due to vibration. This was an awesome upgrade from the pre-production stuff coupled with more refined mapping and clutching. A little hard to show since its in the sled, but you get the idea.

22049832_1448235131950277_8096493880510236555_n.jpg

22046622_1448235091950281_7170519402444838875_n.jpg

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
you lucky dogs :face-icon-small-hap

sweet the kit is working well
too bad the chassis is weird :face-icon-small-ton hardy har

hoping for an epic winter

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Man this kit is looking more and more like OEM. I really like the plastic airbox (as long as it can handle the pressure) idea to keep welds from cracking and such. Also like the idea of no o-rings to wear out. My old silber kit would wear the o-rings and begin to leak boost in no time and it was a pain to replace. After this season of other people testing and ensuring this kit is the real deal, I may have to try a turbo again...

Have they tested these at lower elevations too?

How is the throttle response? Any bogs when pinning from a dead stop? That was one of my biggest complaints with a turbo was throttle response when you need to pick the front end up when a unexpected obstruction like a creek or log comes in your way.

Anyways if you got more photos of air plumbing and what not that would be great!
Thanks in advance

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Throttle response is spot on. Only difference in feel out of the hole vs stock is more of just slightly different shift pattern with the different clutching. The re flashed ecu is so key. They have full control of everything, so tuning is fully dialed via not just fuel, but exhaust valves and ignition timing so it revs quick and clean and lights the turbo up fast. The 850 motor has so much grunt you can easily lunge the front off things, quickly stab the throttle and keep the nose up.

My biggest gripe with the pre-production stuff was a flat spot in the power when taking off, no bogs, just flat feeling. The production kits with dialed in airbox, mapping and clutching resulted in the flat spot to be gone. I already struggle with the doo chassis vs an axys so any power delivery issues are very obvious as it makes my riding suffer. This setup in consumer form is super fun. I love jumps and drops so crisp and reliable power delivery is essential. I am very excited to jump and drop this sled as the power delivery is not something you have to worry about.

As for more pics, I have a few installs lined up soon when more kits ship. I will do my best to get tons of pictures and some video of the installation process to help show prospective customers what they are up against and see the fit and finish first hand.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Alright guys, we are close, kit will be in wedsnesday, got the reflashed ecu sitting on my desk. Got a fancy new camera, so we will be game on with lots of content regarding the install.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Still waiting for kit to show up.. Sled showed up this week.. Let's get it out silber!!

Decent video Corey posted of kit install and some of the procedures used.. Six grams added to pivot bolts, and using 17 primary spring, not sure on secondary helix angle but it's reverse cut, probably for quicker back shift.. No changes to gearing, would of thought there would of been

https://youtu.be/bZiOXryGWek

Jblaze74

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2011
Reno/North Tahoe
so, sounds like most are installing these kits before break in? i guess i feel more comfortable doing so with the ecu reprogramed. Sounds like a very nice kit, i guess the diesel mechanic in me needs to remember 2-stroke.....

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Kits come with a 43/47 helix. I forget which secondary spring off the top of my head.

Got the kit mostly installed up last night, just a few little things to button up then its test ride time. hard to get a lot of pics on these kits, everything is pretty tucked away.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I run a strait 44 spdegree helix with the impulse.. What benefits and disadvantages will the 47-43 over a strait cut?

I see there not doing any gearing change.. Would think one should increase gearing some

Premium Features