• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shot randomly working

ttheat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
2018 shot is randomly working.

Might start after 20 seconds of motor running one day On trailer.

You might have to let it run 10 minutes before it will start the sled.(might start)

You sometimes have to hold the start button a minute before it will start.

After you have rode a while it might start after 2-3 minutes.

If you turn sled off you only have a minute or two to start again. (Starts about 80% of the time)

Pull starts the first time every time.

It's random you never know if it's going to start.

Has anyone else had this problem?

It's scheduled to go into the shop Wednesday.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
My experience is this.

Sled runs for enough time to have shot work. over 10 minutes.

With gloves on gotta be carful button is constantly depressed

If button is not constantly pressed will not start.

Sometimes when I think it is constantly pressed I hear the engine turn over but does not start. Oter times I don't hear / feel it.

In any case for six hours of on and off riding I simply stopped pressing the SHOT button when it did not start. Repressed shot and held for 10 seconds or so (too windy or precarious position to verify engine cranked from shot.

Repressed SHOT button in ten second intervals as many as 5 times and SHOT started the sled.

USED shot exclusively for 6 hours of riding and having to start the sled at least 20 times ... pull start the sled first thing in the morning and not once the rest of the day.

ttheat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
I have taken my gloves off thinking I might not be pushing the button down.
I have tried up to 3 times. Thank you for your reply

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Have your dealer take a look at it. Some of the 18’s had some issues with shot, Skidoo had some sort of service bulletin about I believe.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
The SHOT on my 2018 also failed - doing the intermittent thing. Going into the dealer tomorrow.

Per dealer sounds like a bad capacitor pack.

bullrunner

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2009
Shot & Pull Start Quit

Have a 2019, first trip out the Shot would work 20% of the time, had to pull start. Then pull start quit working, had to wrap the clutch to start.

The dealer had supposedly performed the recall on the pull start before we picked up the sled, but I have my doubts if they checked to see if the recoil part that they replaced was actually one of the new ones or if it was still one of the recalled parts.

Sled has been at the dealer for over 3 weeks and the shot still is not working. They said they have replaced the capacitor and now have to replace the computer.

Leaving for 2 weeks in Wyoming in about 4 days. The dealer said that if they can't get the shot to work, we can just take the sled the way it is and we will just have to pull start it. I told them that if they can't get it to work, just give me a new sled. I am sure that won't happen, but it made me feel better. Not overly optimistic that the shot will be working. Hopefully the pull start will at least work.
It's a lot of money to spend on a sled that doesn't work.:face-icon-small-fro

ttheat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
The ultra capacitor module was only holding charge for for 30 seconds.
Dealer fixed.

G
Oct 20, 2009

You might have to let it run 10 minutes before it will start the sled.(might start)

If you turn sled off you only have a minute or two to start again. (Starts about 80% of the time)

Exact same issue with my new 2019 165. Of course, dealer says "NEVER HERD THAT BEFORE". Classic. Has anyone here who's had issues get theirs fixed under warranty and it actually works now? Lame the dealer sent mine out this way.. I'm 4 hours from the dealer I purchased it from.

S

sledin

Nov 27, 2007
san jose CA

Having same issues.Been in the shop twice,replaced capacitor and remapped both times.

S

sledin

Nov 27, 2007
san jose CA
Exact same issue with my new 2019 165. Of course, dealer says "NEVER HERD THAT BEFORE". Classic. Has anyone here who's had issues get theirs fixed under warranty and it actually works now? Lame the dealer sent mine out this way.. I'm 4 hours from the dealer I purchased it from.
Mines been in shop twice,it’s acting up again,back to dealer for a third time.

E
Oct 11, 2019
My 18 had issues as well. Worked when it wanted to then it locked up and you couldnt even pull the cord to start it. Took it to dealer and they replaced the entire shot system. Worked perfect after that.

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I have the random problem as well this year but it worked perfect last year. Mine is a 2019 and need to get it back to the dealer.

bullrunner

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2009
Purchased a 2019 this year. First trip out the shot wouldn't work. Took it to the dealer, they replaced the ECU? under warranty.
Had the same thing happen to the 2019 that we bought last year. So far 2 for 2 on shot not working.

S
Mar 8, 2011
I've noticed its in the signal from the coded key. If you apply force to the key while holding the shot button seems to work a lot better. IMO

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
mine has worked everytime I have tried it at home after my trip so far. dropped it off at the dealer today. we will see what they come up with

Premium Features