• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shortening Tunnel

R
Nov 24, 2014
I am going to be shortening the tunnel on a 165 alpha, Cutting and putting it all back together seems pretty straigt forward however does anyone have any suggestions for a bumper that is pre fabed for a shorter tunnel? I am wondering if I will have to customize that as well.

Thanks

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
I was going to shorten mine, however after removing the snowflap it improved it's deep powder moves so much I never ended up needing to cut it. When you take off the flap it's already 5cm or so back from the end, then no need to alter everything, just my experience here-

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
I was going to shorten mine, however after removing the snowflap it improved it's deep powder moves so much I never ended up needing to cut it. When you take off the flap it's already 5cm or so back from the end, then no need to alter everything, just my experience here-

I was skeptical, however, just like you noticed how the sled performed better after the snow flap was removed, that improvement is 10x more with the shorter tunnel. It opens up a ton of maneuvers not as easily done before, also makes getting yourself unstuck much easier in a ton of situations. No I’m not making this up.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
Also, the op said he was going to shorten. He wasn’t asking if he should. We don’t need another one of those threads. Here’s mine, I went overboard, yes, but have had no negative side effects, just positives and grins from how the sled acts now! I also shortened my other sled up since I noticed such a drastic change.

Attachments

• 3ADD7DC3-AD5E-41C9-A873-CDC64E085F9D.jpeg
    3ADD7DC3-AD5E-41C9-A873-CDC64E085F9D.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 276

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
Also shortened my backup/turbo sled using the shortened stock bumper.

Attachments

• 3524A8DD-C137-4DF3-B6A8-93FE2C230252.jpeg
    3524A8DD-C137-4DF3-B6A8-93FE2C230252.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 200

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
It opens up a ton of maneuvers not as easily done before, also makes getting yourself unstuck much easier in a ton of situations. No I’m not making this up.

I can think of one maneuver. LOL
looks like a fun whip

R
Nov 24, 2014
Yeah I know the benefits of a short tunnel, I was going to take 4 inches off it, The stock bumper looked pretty easy to modify however it would be nice to put one of the longer "tunnel" brace bumpers on... I was hoping that I didn't have to modify an already expensive bumper and that one of the fabricators may be a bit ahead of the curve.

badaltitude

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2010
north dakota
Yeah I know the benefits of a short tunnel, I was going to take 4 inches off it, The stock bumper looked pretty easy to modify however it would be nice to put one of the longer "tunnel" brace bumpers on... I was hoping that I didn't have to modify an already expensive bumper and that one of the fabricators may be a bit ahead of the curve.
Rogue concepts is who I’d go to for what your after. Their raised rear bumper option is nice also.

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
I was skeptical, however, just like you noticed how the sled performed better after the snow flap was removed, that improvement is 10x more with the shorter tunnel. It opens up a ton of maneuvers not as easily done before, also makes getting yourself unstuck much easier in a ton of situations. No I’m not making this up.
how much did you cut?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I cut mine down 4". First I cut the sheet metal back with bumper installed, then cut 4" out of the bumper, and rewelded the stock bumper but with an upward tilt on the end. Also made a low profile end cap out of 1/2"×3/4" aluminum angle (1/8" thick) for structure. Didn't want to catch the tunnel at all on full compression, though with the elevate kit I don't think that's much of a concern after cycling the travel without air in the shock. Works fantastic. No flap was good but this made it better yet.

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
Also, the op said he was going to shorten. He wasn’t asking if he should. We don’t need another one of those threads. Here’s mine, I went overboard, yes, but have had no negative side effects, just positives and grins from how the sled acts now! I also shortened my other sled up since I noticed such a drastic change.
Who's rail braces are those?

Premium Features