• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

(SHORT VERSION) PRO RMK: DOO REMOTE BYPASS THERMOSTAT. PARTS LISTS AND INSTALLATION

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Random thought here...

The stock t-stat had a very smal hole through it, compared to the 1" + it gets now. Maybe the system needs that little restriction to keep things "in check"?

My only reasoning is water likes to boil if given energy and it helps if you lower the pressure, think of opening the radiator cap on a hot car. Could the resistance in the stock t-stat create pressure at WOT and just keep the water from bubbling as it passes through the engine???

I'll admit to grasping straws here, but I have a hard time seeing why the coolant should care one wit about what loops it goes through.
Poo or Doo, it should not matter!

Will a stock pro foam if you pin it @ 100 degrees???

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Ok, will the pressure in the cooling system be different at the same temperature on sealevel as on 5000ft?
Can it be that aluminium whaser that is holding the gasket for termostat housing is creating turbulence. If it is smaller ID then the inlet of the housing, it will act like a orrifice.
I assume Norway have not installed he´s kit yet, so he could check this. Pherhaps try to not install that ring, rather make a gasket and see if it act different?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I just installed a Terra Alps remote t-stat on my pro and will be testing it in the mountains next weekend. I can give some feedback on it compared to the stock pro setup if others are interested. Might be a little relevant to this thread. I can start a separate thread when i do so this one stays short though.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Ok, will the pressure in the cooling system be different at the same temperature on sealevel as on 5000ft?
Can it be that aluminium whaser that is holding the gasket for termostat housing is creating turbulence. If it is smaller ID then the inlet of the housing, it will act like a orrifice.
I assume Norway have not installed he´s kit yet, so he could check this. Pherhaps try to not install that ring, rather make a gasket and see if it act different?

Installed and started, works fine on the workshop floor!! :face-icon-small-ton

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance right now, just concrete mountains so I'm taking my time with various details... But I'm on it, will try to get som break-in trips ASAP and will be watching that coolant bottle and temps for sure!

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
What is too cold for this engine? Was out in some fields with the terra alps tstat and i was seeing 95-100 in snow. These are pretty short pulls but still seems a tad on the cool side. Supposed to be hitting the mountains this weekend so i will have better info on long pulls.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I seem to remember seeing Pictures of this T-stat mod done on a standard RMK with the front tunnel cooler, (it is a bit different, right?), but couldn't find them last I checked. Any chance someone could repost those here or link to them?

N
Jan 1, 2012
Eastern Oregon
Thank you TRS for all the info, and thank you to Rogers Sport Center for full complete kit AND working to overnight it from WY to OR. Got it put in last night and after refilling the system and bleeding it, its 113-117 all day baby! Awesome mod!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just to check in.

I have run this for some time now and have not noticed any foaming. Not loking to often, but sled rips and coolant level is consistant so..
Temps lowered a bit, not really sure how much. Pro cooling is down to bare minimum to save weight, so slow down to much or hard pack and temps still goes up. Need snow spray to cool.

For sure the temp levels out MUCH faster. Start up after sitting for 5-10 minutes now, and you are good to go on engine temp in less than 30 seconds most of the time.

Just a tip; I wrapped my T-stat housing in header-wrap and alu-tape, thinking it was quite close to the pipe and being made of plastic.. Not sure it is needed, but..

RS

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
This system plain works!!!

I've got an X3 on my Pro with this kit and its a completely different sled! Sled temp runs way more consistent and no more temperature spikes and it climbing like crazy!!

Rode into Cooke City two weeks ago on the trail and with the scratchers down, never got above 113

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I seem to remember seeing Pictures of this T-stat mod done on a standard RMK with the front tunnel cooler, (it is a bit different, right?), but couldn't find them last I checked. Any chance someone could repost those here or link to them?

I too was wondering if their was any difference on install. In inspecting from the schematic I don't think their is any. Be nice to run the front cooler in a series with the rear but the smaller inlet and outlet on front cooler might restrict flow a bit to much.

I was going to just install it just like the Pro-Install and the front cooler will always be cooling and the rear only when ski-doo stat lets it.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Well i priced out a kit.

Power grip was $5.70 each for the 1.5" and i needed to order 10

$3.70 each for the others and needed 10 each as well to order so 20 all in all.

Just going with screw clamps.......

Thermo was $39 from skidoo. 5 in stock

T i didnt get a price but i ordered one.

Probably will gut the thermo. Going to check fastenal or mcmaster-carr for a washer or machinery bushing.

Hope this solves my rpm issues when motors hot.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I too was wondering if their was any difference on install. In inspecting from the schematic I don't think their is any. Be nice to run the front cooler in a series with the rear but the smaller inlet and outlet on front cooler might restrict flow a bit to much.

I was going to just install it just like the Pro-Install and the front cooler will always be cooling and the rear only when ski-doo stat lets it.

I have the same thoughts going on .

2013 Assault with stock front tunnel that is plumbed in parallel as a by pass system .

If I leave it in Parallel , I'm thinking if I stop in the deep Powder for any time lapse , when I fire it up I will see a cold spike if I don't let it warm up yes or no ?

If I hook it up in series i have to deal with two different diameter hoses , will the smaller hoses restrict the system , will I still see the cold spike after I stop it in the powder for a extented period of time ?

I'm trying to plumb it so its operating at its max consistency temp range .

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Anyone still selling this as a kit? Called Roger's but they don't stock it anymore

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I have the same thoughts going on .

2013 Assault with stock front tunnel that is plumbed in parallel as a by pass system .

If I leave it in Parallel , I'm thinking if I stop in the deep Powder for any time lapse , when I fire it up I will see a cold spike if I don't let it warm up yes or no ?

If I hook it up in series i have to deal with two different diameter hoses , will the smaller hoses restrict the system , will I still see the cold spike after I stop it in the powder for a extented period of time ?

I'm trying to plumb it so its operating at its max consistency temp range .

I have thought about it lots and had consultations and decided to plumb it all in series as this will make it the most consistent with the lowest temps .

I'm still having small issues as how I'm gonna get it in series vice the parallel ,

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I have thought about it lots and had consultations and decided to plumb it all in series as this will make it the most consistent with the lowest temps .

I'm still having small issues as how I'm gonna get it in series vice the parallel ,

So no one can find the posts where the Doo housing was fitted to a standard RMk with the front cooler? (I can't)

Me and a friend made copies, (one each), of these and used them on our E-tec 800s, (not to sell, just for personal use)
http://www.engine-tech.com/product_info.php?products_id=48

I took it off when I sold that sled and now I'm thinking about putting it on my -15RMK so any input on installing this on the dual cooler RMKs will be appreciated!

I am mostly bothered about the cold water spike when starting up after a break.

By the way, found pics of the housing we made. (hope the links work)
file.php

file.php

Last edited:
Premium Features