• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shock Upgrade? Best for the money? 08D7

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Hey guys I have a 2008 D7 163"

I don't have a TON of money left to spend this summer on upgrades. I already went with some avy safety gear, better boards, fire n ice vents, '09/'10 front end upgrade, freshened up the top end, SLP pipe and can, carl's clutch kit, 19/42 gearing, and a couple other small things.

I was wondering everyone's opinions on upgrading the stock WE Racing shocks. I honestly didn't have any problems with mine last year but I came off a 98 RMK 700 144" so you can imagine how amazing my new sled felt to me when it was all stock. It has 2300 miles and I don't think the shocks have ever been rebuilt. Is there an affordable shock upgrade out there that you would recommend? Did you notice a GREAT difference that made it worth the money? Or should I save my money for gas this year and just have my stock shocks rebuilt?

Looking forward to some input. Thanks yo

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I never had an issue with my factory W/E's either. Rebuilt/Recharged them a couple of times, that's all. When looking for affordable upgrades, the two that appealled to me were the Fox Zero Pro's from Carls, and the W/E 16 position clickers from Tri City Performance. Both are in the same price range and are durable shocks with a bunch of spring options for both. I went with the Clickers for the front and rear shocks with dual rate springs because I still run the front stabilizer bar. Those that remove the bar preferred a single rate to keep the front from diving.

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Well I started thinking about fronts because I sheared my sway bar last year and am now contemplating replacing it which I think I've decided I'm going to now that I have the '09/'10 front end on my sled.

Does anyone know if I need to buy updated A Arms to use the '09 sway bar? Now that I have the '09 bumper I have sway bar mounts that are forward of the front suspension rather than behind. Looks like a pain in the *** to put a new '08 sway bar on it.

I'm looking for advice on both fronts and rears.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
There are two type of sway bars in '09; the std RMKs had the rear mounted bar and the Dragon had the front mounted bar. If you want a front bar, you'll have to order from an 800 as the 700s in '09 were std RMK - rear mounted. If you do not have a triangle shaped piece of metal on the back of the lower a-arms, you'll need to find different lowers or go with the front mount. I also do not know how the older 700 Dragons came configured.

Did you get my PM?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
These are inexpensive options for better shocks/suspension..

I like the rear shock set-up Carls Cycle sells...

They have 2 options for the rear skid..

1 is a fox float for the front and a fox zero pro for the rear...runs like $795
http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_cat_2438-19673_product_642947.Fox_Custom_Rear_Shock_Kit_-_Po.htm

2 is a fox zero pro for the front and a fox zero pro for the rear...runs like $520

http://www.carlscycle.com/eshopprod_cat_2438-19673_product_952279.Fox_Zero_Pro_Rear_Shock_Kit_-_.htm

I run the the first option on 2 sleds and this same set-up is run by a couple friends. What is funny is you don't need the $119 fat boy springs many have had to buy when they have run the stock rear shocks. The stock rear springs and the first option work very well.

Nex-Tech has an option for the rear also with the Evol R in the rear..

Gerrman on the forums here uses it...

http://www.carbonsled.com/rear_suspension_polaris.htm

As for the front, the fox shocks (on an 09 or newer with sway bar) are a definite improvement over stock. The 09 sway bar works much better than the earlier set-up. We all are running the fox floats and a couple are running the Evols...definitely worth the money

As for needing new lower a-arms...Some people have modifed their 08 and earlier arms for the newer 09 sway bar.

The best would be to just buy new lower 09 a-arms OR...you could ditch the sway bar altogether and buy new front shocks that are specifically valved for NO sway bar.

Nex-Tech has an option for the rear also

Here's a little info from Carls that will help you out. The picture is Nex-Tech

POL_2031_LG.jpg

Attachments

• Hop Up 700 Dragon[1].pdf
    831.6 KB · Views: 174
T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
my lowers have the sway bar mount on the rear of the a-arm. I guess it'll just be easier if I replace the A-Arm that originally came on the sled. All mounts are still in tact. It just looks like a pain the *** to route the sway bar through the bulk head. Does it fit without pulling a bunch of stuff out of the way? It doesn't look like it but hopefully I can just order a new sway bar, take my lower a-arms loose and route it back through the bulk head.

Any input would be rad for those of you that have done it. I know a lot of guys like running without a sway bar but I think this thing handles the sidehills a lot better with it. I used to be able to sidehill the hell out of my old Gen II 700 with my sway bar still in place so the Dragon feels just fine with the sway bar in to me and it doesn't buck me off on steep side hills.

T

theletup

Jan 3, 2011
Coeur d'Alene, ID
Spoke with Carl's today. They said it would be about $140 per shock to rebuild my WE racing. I was also offered a set of freshly rebuilt Fox Zero Pros (fronts and rears) for not a whole lot more than having mine rebuilt.

However, rebuilding mine includes re-valve and everything to make them custom to my riding style and sled set up. I have no idea what specs the zero pro were rebuilt for.

thoughts here?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
A revalve is a good cheap way to improve but a set of Fox Evol R's or Exit X1's are the bees knees! However that is very pricey.

Keep in mind if you improve the front you will really notice how bad the back is. I thought I liked the WE's until I started riding my D8 harder. The D8 is a little chunky so it needs better shocks. Don't go w/o your sway bar. I did and regretted it. I even had EVol R's and I still regretted it. The WE's work well in pure powder but just can't keep up with the bigger bumps.

P
Jan 4, 2011
Utah, Plain city
I run pro shocks on the front of my 09 dragon made a hug diff for me. I bent my sway bar when my stock walkers blew out on me when i was do a 20' drop. so i do not run a sway bar any more and i love how it handles. if you keep your eyes out you can get pro shock for 300 for the pair.

Premium Features