• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sheared crankshaft

S
Dec 24, 2012
Earlier this year I was riding with my buddy who has an 2017 850 renegade (out of warranty). Cruising about 30mph, the crankshaft sheared right off. Sled has less than 2000 miles. He bought it with only 1000 miles.

Took it to the dealer as it looked to us as a bad cast. Pics attached. Dealer came back and said BRP would not cover it. They said it was caused by a blown belt and then Kevlar burning through the crank.

Their explanation made no sense to me - so I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any thoughts or any experience with this. If it was Kevlar between the clutch and crankshaft they should spin at the same rate and I dont see how it could burn through the crank.

Whats funny is when we first took it in, the skidoo tech said it was a bad cast. He said it was like rings on a tree and doesn't lie.

Our next step is to take it to an NDT shop (non destructive testing) to analyze the metal. CLUTCH PHOTO 1.jpgcrank end (1).jpgcrank end 2 (1).jpg

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Does your buddy need a new fixed sheeve? I have one on the shelf maybe 100 miles on it from a 17. Free Just cover the shipping.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Earlier this year I was riding with my buddy who has an 2017 850 renegade (out of warranty). Cruising about 30mph, the crankshaft sheared right off. Sled has less than 2000 miles. He bought it with only 1000 miles.

Took it to the dealer as it looked to us as a bad cast. Pics attached. Dealer came back and said BRP would not cover it. They said it was caused by a blown belt and then Kevlar burning through the crank.

Their explanation made no sense to me - so I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any thoughts or any experience with this. If it was Kevlar between the clutch and crankshaft they should spin at the same rate and I dont see how it could burn through the crank.

Whats funny is when we first took it in, the skidoo tech said it was a bad cast. He said it was like rings on a tree and doesn't lie.

Our next step is to take it to an NDT shop (non destructive testing) to analyze the metal. View attachment 345826View attachment 345827View attachment 345828

usually blowing belts does bend the crank. (Momentarily)
it’s not impossible that an unbalanced crank/ clutch alignment will snap the crank stub. (I’ve seen 6 sleds do exactly that)

usually not a warranted repair.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
usually blowing belts does bend the crank. (Momentarily)
it’s not impossible that an unbalanced crank/ clutch alignment will snap the crank stub. (I’ve seen 6 sleds do exactly that)

usually not a warranted repair.

too high of gearing will cause this as well,, if traction is increased and gearing stays the same,, landing with wot off jumps ect.......
the last one is two fold,, when the sled is in the air with the throttle pinned the clutches will automatically shift to over drive,
so now you have maximum stress from overdrive and the torque of the engine so the weak point is,,,,,, the crank.....

X
Oct 8, 2009
Find a new dealer. They're full of crap. I am an engineer. The tensile strength of standard steel is 29,000 ksi. That is 29,000,000 psi. Dupont kevlar is 435,000 psi. End of story. Also, the break is indicative of a shock load fracture, not a cut. If the sled is still under warranty, put the heat on skidoo to fix it. That is their problem.

To me, it appears that crank has been broken for some time as 3/4 of that break is dirty. The clean part is the most recent fracture and you were the lucky recipient of a pending failure.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Also, pretend for a second that the cord is sufficiently thick to withstand the thermal load and tensile load to heat the crank up enough to eat away (reduce) the steel crank snout. There is no symmetrical cut line about the circumference of the the steel. Imagine running a lathe and using a cutting bit to reduce the outside of a shaft. There is no such cut on your crank.

Skidoo has people who work with dealers who spend their whole day dealing with customer satisfaction and goodwill for loyal customers. You need to speak with that person directly. Position titles differ by manufacturer, but a common description is "dealer service manager or representative." To be clear, that is not the dealer service manager; that is a position within Skidoo. The best way to contact them is to call skidoo customer service and ask to speak with the representative for your area. Skidoo will likely stand behind it so long as you dont have a modified sled.

Last edited:
Premium Features