• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Setting up the sled for black hills

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Looking to get my arctic cat's set up for the black hills when I get down there in the beginning of Feb. Wondering where the best shop is around the black hills that would have time and do a good job. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
What year and model of cat? Usually all you need to do is change weights which any shop can do or yourself. If you have a 600 or less cc you may need to do a gear change. Back when I had a trail sled 600 zl efi I would change the primary spring and lighter weights. The hills are basically 6000 to 7000 ft which a 5to9000 cat recommendation for calibration will be spot on.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I think just a weight change and possibly a primary spring change will be all you need. I would see what cat recommends in your manual, and is should be listed near the belt. With a diamond drive a gear change is going to be a pain in the A$$. The F-6 may be geared too tall but it will be not affect the running of the of the sled too much. Even with out gearing down it should hit peak rpm by just clutching the Primary and sec for 5 to 9000 ft. The f-6 will give a Errrrrrr sound when you grab a handful from a dead stop. The key is to keep your R's up in deep snow with tall gearing.

The Cross fire should just need a weight change, 700 has plenty of torque once on the pipe.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Thats why I was looking to have someone in the hills take care of it this time around since they would know exactly what to do. Next time I go down that way I would know what to do and be able to do it myself and have all the stuff I would need.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
I have never reheated our clutched any of my sleds for the hills and they have been fine had 97 580 03 f7 03 f5 05 f7 long tracked 01 zr600 could they run harder if clutched yes I'm sure but for the price and the 100 miles I put on them a year out their I leave them alone

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
true, but at a minimum putting in lighter weights that cost 80 to 100 (just guessing) and 15 minutes to change can make a huge difference how the sled runs. I have been around a few sleds that did not change weights and a 440 set up for the elevation will run circles around a 600 with stock set up.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
You might loose a little performance but not that much if your goin to ride the same sleds at elevation a lot then it's worth it otherwise it's not worth it in my opinion

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Well getting back to my main question is there anyone down there I should avoid was thinking either Great Outdoors in rapid city or the one in spearfish. Anyone have any good or bad dealings with these two let me know.

sledking120

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2011
South Dakota
Ray's sport shack in black hawk is the best out their he used to do slot of racing so you know he's not a shade tree mechanic

Premium Features