Selkirk Engine Armor

Chadx

Off the trail again...just can't wait to get off t
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Not sure of that question was to me or "snowpromod" but no, I never considered a stock intake because i didn't want to cut extra vents and mess with frogzskin. Have messed with vents on other applications and wanted to avoid that again, but there is no way a stock intake, with plugged intake horns, can get enough air without adding venting. Would be really interesting to see the powerloss on a dyno. Maybe it's only a few hp.
Plus, on my previous two bikes (ktm based), I was used to running pods and open airboxes to get them to work right.

I've never had any snow around my YZ pod filter or piled on my engine much less enough to restrict it. Still not sure if that is a difference in my setup/covers/bib coverage to keep snow out, snow conditions, or what.

Needpower,
On days when you were getting that much snow on top of the engine that you were clogging a pod intake, what engine temps are you seeing? And what did you do to resolve that snow ingress?

[Edit: I started writing this, got distracted, then finished it but see needpower posted since then. I think it must be powder differences. I'm in southwest Montana so while powder os real powder and not coastal heavy, it is definitely not as llight as the utah pow! Ha. And my horns have 4" of foam so no air or snow getting through them. All air comes up from around engine.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Chad X, yes that was for you about the “stock filter” setup
I thought that’s where you were located but I couldn’t quite remember. Doesn’t seem like our snow should be all that different? Some days, probably real similar. Engine temps compared to choking filter never really made a difference. On days that my filter clogged, obviously deep powder days with full engine jacket and radiators covered. Usually my temps were pretty good. Definitely cold on extended down hills 130-140. but not sure there’s really anything to do about that. Always warmed right back up going uphill.
If I am losing horsepower by clogging it is nothing I can feel. When my old set up would clog I would completely lose power and the result would often be a stuck.
Talking to Jeff at PR2, he said the pod on the Dyno versus the stock filter actually lost a little bit of horsepower. Obviously that’s not taking into account snow/air restriction. His explanation was that the stock Plenum was designed and tested on a Dyno by Yamaha engineers and with the pod you are getting rid of the plenum. (I think that’s what the rubber boot under the filter is called)
Obviously if your system is working then there is no reason to change it. Currently happy with mine as well!

Chadx

Off the trail again...just can't wait to get off t
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Chad X, yes that was for you about the “stock filter” setup
I thought that’s where you were located but I couldn’t quite remember. Doesn’t seem like our snow should be all that different? Some days, probably real similar. Engine temps compared to choking filter never really made a difference. On days that my filter clogged, obviously deep powder days with full engine jacket and radiators covered. Usually my temps were pretty good. Definitely cold on extended down hills 130-140. but not sure there’s really anything to do about that. Always warmed right back up going uphill.
If I am losing horsepower by clogging it is nothing I can feel. When my old set up would clog I would completely lose power and the result would often be a stuck.
Talking to Jeff at PR2, he said the pod on the Dyno versus the stock filter actually lost a little bit of horsepower. Obviously that’s not taking into account snow/air restriction. His explanation was that the stock Plenum was designed and tested on a Dyno by Yamaha engineers and with the pod you are getting rid of the plenum. (I think that’s what the rubber boot under the filter is called)
Obviously if your system is working then there is no reason to change it. Currently happy with mine as well!

Good info on your experience. Thanks!

Regarding the pr2 dyno, I do agree that a pod could lose a bit over stock, but id Jeff test with the horns totally plugged with foam which would greatly restrict the intake unless other venting was added? Everyone seems to plug the horns with foam so snow isn't shoveled in so if Jeff didn't plug the horns for his test, it would skew the results. And if he did, what additional venting, if any, did he add back in? Would be interesting to see the details.

It is a true science how those engineers design intakes and exhausts and how small changes can have weird results.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Right. I’m sure he wasn’t plugging the horns! The foam I am using in the horns is fairly open so I am getting a bit of air there. Probably a little bit of snow dust also. Maybe not it’s so hard to tell where it’s coming from!

snowpromod

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Northeast Ohio
I’m definitely a rookie at all of this, but have tried to put together the best setup possible - that is the reason I invested in the Selkirk setup. My most recent riding was in Quebec with temperatures ranging from -16* to 26* Fahrenheit, we found excellent in your face powder.

I have my horns plugged with foam that is wrapped in outerwear prefilter material. I definitely need to figure out my snow ingestion problem because as of now the Selkirk is only acting as a big snow trap. It gets only warm enough to turn it into ice and collect even more snow - this not only affected the engine temp and air filter, but there was so much build up it would also affect the shifter. Last year I ran a PST engine jacket and CR intake and never experienced any of these issues.

I’m going back to drawing board to hopefully figure this out! These pictures are from this afternoon, I last rode the bike on Sunday and a bunch of snow has melted off already.

571b3ee17ae10778c725c6d6e493bd75.jpg
633c9b6f4a36516a2e4adc74a11437c6.jpg
7cf392ce3404131cf802a67de9fddec6.jpg
392d53b295e34bdbce5e37b2dd5991b6.jpg

4e6c0b628b23643f03eeeb632bfefc0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Comment about going down hill and temps dropping, when you run a true in the tunnel heat exchanger and have a well covered engine, dropping down a long deep powder slope temps go up to 200-210 because of low engine operating speed and slow coolant circulation, then back to 184 when you pickup throttle and engine speed increases.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Comment about going down hill and temps dropping, when you run a true in the tunnel heat exchanger and have a well covered engine, dropping down a long deep powder slope temps go up to 200-210 because of low engine operating speed and slow coolant circulation, then back to 184 when you pickup throttle and engine speed increases.
Cat, I hear you. There have been times where I have covered every little piece of the engine and kept operating temps better. I just don’t find it as necessary because I am always yanking it out when conditions change, change my oil all the time, and am not worried about the temperatures i am seeing. I Have a tunnel cooler and all the plumbing from my old CR 500 sitting on the shelf and probably should have installed it at the beginning of the season but I was being lazy. And by the way, I am usually on the throttle going downhill in deep powder!

Premium Features