• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Selkirk Armour question..

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Trying to do some homework before pulling the trigger on the armour setup from Selkirk for my '18 KTM450 SX-F.
Specifically what I'm looking to do is maintain the hotdogger I have mounted on the PC Ti6 resonance chamber on the header. Sure looks like that side panel is tucked fairly tight,
and won't leave enough room.. my question is, is that panel removable? Certainly looks like it has dzeus fasteners? Are you able to run the armour kit without that panel in place?
My thought was to just leave it off, and run a neoprene panel to cover the cooker while I'm heating up lunch.. thoughts?:unsure::)

Lachoneus

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2009
Trying to do some homework before pulling the trigger on the armour setup from Selkirk for my '18 KTM450 SX-F.
Specifically what I'm looking to do is maintain the hotdogger I have mounted on the PC Ti6 resonance chamber on the header. Sure looks like that side panel is tucked fairly tight,
and won't leave enough room.. my question is, is that panel removable? Certainly looks like it has dzeus fasteners? Are you able to run the armour kit without that panel in place?
My thought was to just leave it off, and run a neoprene panel to cover the cooker while I'm heating up lunch.. thoughts?:unsure::)
how about a picture of that dogger mount? thanks....

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Lachoneus Really not much to see, just used a hose clamp to attach the cooker base to the expansion/resonance chamber of the pipe (this is on the "calzone" shaped portion of the stock pipe, kind of an awkward deal. the Pro Circuit section os nice and round, will fit even better)

IMG_8585.jpeg

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
The panel is removable. and there looks like there is enough room for clearance issues. The only issue I could see would be the rest filling up with snow but if your putting a neoprene cover over it you should be fine. Now you got me thinking of doing this to my 17.....

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
The panel is removable. and there looks like there is enough room for clearance issues. The only issue I could see would be the rest filling up with snow but if your putting a neoprene cover over it you should be fine. Now you got me thinking of doing this to my 17.....
Ya my thought was to remove the panel when it was time to cook, and cover it with a neoprene panel I have (would shield direct contact with snow, and help insulate, to help with the "cooking temps") and just secure the panel to the tunnel until lunch time was over lol

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So in deep snow not having that panel it will get you engine cold… or at least in Ut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
So in deep snow not having that panel it will get you engine cold… or at least in Ut

Even with the neoprene flap taking its place? The neoprene would be covered with a flame proof material to keep it from getting wet.. I would think that should hold MORE heat in than the standard panel,
as it looks to be vented, with nothing stopping powder from getting inside to engine cavity...
If I was to get the Selkirk armour, I'd be seriously tempted to cover the opening (expanded metal like venting) with SLP vent material, to keep snow out, but still let them breathe...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For my 18 if the engine was submerged and it was 15 degrees or so it would have to be covered… I went tunnel cooler now though so it is always covered and I don’t touch anything … it was the side hills that would kill the temps which is all we are riding all the time .

BendBrapp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2015
I have the same KTM and so do my two friends. We all run the Selkirk kit. We just use HD tin foil to wrap up sandwiches and burritos. The side panel holds them on top of the expansion chamber. I run it a few minutes and then stop and flip the foil wrap. A few more minutes ripping and hot melty lunch. A little practice and you will have it down. Make sure to use HD foil. The regular stuff does not cut it.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
I have the same KTM and so do my two friends. We all run the Selkirk kit. We just use HD tin foil to wrap up sandwiches and burritos. The side panel holds them on top of the expansion chamber. I run it a few minutes and then stop and flip the foil wrap. A few more minutes ripping and hot melty lunch. A little practice and you will have it down. Make sure to use HD foil. The regular stuff does not cut it.
in the cooking pot I put the food in a sealable oven bag. works like a champ, being sealed, it steams itself, and heats up quicker

P
Dec 4, 2018
in the cooking pot I put the food in a sealable oven bag. works like a champ, being sealed, it steams itself, and heats up quicker
Just an FYI. Be careful using oven bags in a cooker. Did it for a couple years, but one day had meatballs in the oven bag and when we went to remove them it exploded. I could have been some pretty nasty burns, but luckily it blew away from the guy opening it. The oven bags will hold a bunch of pressure before they let go.

Keith

Premium Features