• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seeking info on moving West...

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
After recently coming back from my 5th trip(1st in the summer/ non snowmobile related) in 11 yrs to the Teton area, I'm strongly considering a move to the W. WYO/ E. Idaho (about 1hr either side of the border) or perhaps W. Yellowstone/S. Montana area. I'd like to narrow down some areas in each state for the Gf and I to look around at. Im just getting my feet wet on this idea, this is probably 1-2yrs down the rd.
Schools/education are of no concern, no kids and dont want kids. Not particularity religious.

Im a local cdl A driver, though a move out there I would likely change careers. Probably something in the heavy equipment sector(pay loader/excavator at a gravel pit/ private construction or something) I do have some experience, no interest in the oil fields or on a rd crew however.
She would be looking for something with wildlife. Whether it be at a zoo or working with animals in some capacity (not an officer/game warden/ ranger though)

Im curious on the tax situation in these areas? I know there's no income tax in Wy, but killing time looking at real estate I see 2 million dollar 4500sq ft homes paying less in taxes (5200) than i do for my 160,000 home 1950 sqft (6400ish) Am I missing something here with property taxes? Taxes for houses in our range appear to only be in the 1500-2000/yr. Our housing budget would likely be in the 200-300K range.

Ive been told there is some hefty vehicle tax fees in wy??

What other pro/cons should we be aware of? Coming from NY we are familar to cold/snow though I suspect these areas see more extended periods of extreme cold than we might be use to. We usually get 2-3 days below zero/ single digit highs and 1-2 nights -10/-15 lows per yr.

I appreciate any and all info.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I 'm a New York Wyoming transplant been out here for 23 years. I grew up in the Snowy part of New York right off Lake Ontario and rode Tug Hill all the time and still have a camp in the Stillwater area. I have yet to see a storm out here that has even come close to a Lake effect storm from home. They can't plow rodes out here worth a damn. We have a little bit of wind that makes things hard. I don't think it is as cold either. The car deal out here you get use to the first couple of times it sucks. Housing is pricer then there that's for sure. However, Wyoming is a great State and one of the only ones left that have good valves low population and is not full of a bunch wing nuts. We don't have the City telling us what is best and there backward thinking. We like our Guns and hunting and can carry them and don't have a state that wants to ban everything. Jobs for CDL drivers are everywhere depending on what you want. Don't overlook the Patch there are some great jobs with good benefits and good pay. You don't have to be on a Rig. The snowmobiling is awesome out here. I miss my family back in New York and have almost moved back or thought about it. I really like it here and have made it my home. Tax on homes is much lower and no State Income tax. You do get a little less house and land for the money it all depends where you want to live. They don't tax you to death like NY.

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
Thanks for the response Wintertime...
The lake effect storms sure can be hard to beat in intensity sometimes.
Where abouts in Wyoming are you ?
We were told by a couple people out there that they thought they did do a good job of plowing? I was a little surprised to hear they also claimed they diddont n't salt the roads? I know the roads sure werent all beat up like they are back here in NY. Nor were the vehicles..
What's the deal with the property tax/assessments? When I look at real estate listings the assessments are only like 15,000-20,000.

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
Cant figure out how to edit, but I'd like to live about an hr either side of the ID/WY border... But that will remain to be seen...

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I live in Casper. I’m close to good riding Snowy Range, Tog. and the Big Horns. I can’t tell you much on the property tax I know it’s much lower than New York. Leaving on the WY,Id border can be spendy. Most of those areas are pretty high priced housing. Unless you find a nice place in the smaller towns which are nice. Job market is a little tougher. They don’t sand the roads which is nice. In may opinion they don’t plow as well as back in NY. They don’t plow side streets and only plow out the main roads in most towns. I80 closes a lot during bad storms. The wind blows just a little on that road. Overall it works. Wyoming is an AWESOME place to live I really enjoy everything out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
The income, sales and property taxes in Wyoming have remained low because of royalty taxes on natural resources leaving the state (gas, oil, minerals, etc). Wyoming is a great state to live if you truly enjoy independent outdoor living all year round. It lack much of the cultural, sporting, art'e things you can experience in big cities. If you gravitate toward the more known locations like Jackson or Bozeman or Sun Valley you will find the cost of living to be high but there are plenty of lesser known towns that are much more affordable. Lovell/Lander/Buffalo Wyoming or Ashton/Rexburg Idaho are examples.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
My wife and I moved to eastern Idaho back in 2014. I looked around the same areas your looking. Ended up in Teton Valley Idaho. We love it out there, but timing is everything in life.... Which means we ended up moving back to the mid-west for a few more years. Property taxes are very low, good paying jobs are hard to find (nothing comes to mind for what you listed for your wife). If you decide to live in idaho, and drive over to jackson to work, keep in mind that driving over teton pass twice a day SUCKS. the traffic is bad, the road is dangerous and people drive like idiots. I made that drive for 8 months when we first moved out there. Your windshield in every vehicle will be broke the first 6 months you live there...Just the way it is. when they sand the road, its more like dumping gravel down. And they have started using salt in wyoming, just not that much.
Another thing to keep in mind is there isnt much around, which can be nice, except when you need things. There isnt a lowes or home depot 15-30 mins away....your driving 4-5 hours round trip to Idaho Falls, and so is everyone else that lives with in a 100 miles of idaho falls so that town gets VERY busy on the weekends.
Im not trying to discourage you, its a great place to live. The winters are awesome and if you like back country riding (no trails) there is amazing riding and you can ride all day and not see another group. The summers are great too, very low humidity. World class fishing if your into that.
One more thing.... tourism is big out there and the economy is very sensitive. The crash in 08 hit them hard, and its very slow to recover. They just started building new houses again in the last 2 years and the price of housing has just about doubled in the last 5 yrs. I'll probably wait until the next crash to buy out there again... but thats just me :)

Premium Features