• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAWS News: Mount St. Helens sets snowmobile boundaries - south flank closed to snowmo

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
here is my question, I looked at the map they have and I am not sure if this is an area we even ride. I know the area but the map does not have the names I know so I have no clue. there is also other good info here

WA SAWS Members,

This is not good news at all.

It appears that the Forest Service is attempting to slip this closure in under the guise of a safety issue, which allows them to by-pass the normal public comment period associated with recreation and land management actions on our public lands. This is outrages!

I am currently away from my main computer and I am using a slow speed internet connection, so I am not able to review information efficiently on the internet regarding this issue. I plan to look into this issue in more depth when I get back to my main computer with my high speed internet connection.

Also, I have no idea how long this closure has been planned, as I have not been notified by any of our 900 plus SAWS members in WA State that this was being proposed until today. Did this just come out of the blue?

We now only have one SAWS Rep to cover all of WA State, and that is me. We have also asked numerous times for SAWS members to become SAWS National Forest Watchdogs (SNFW) for every national forest across the western United States . We have had very few SAWS members indicate that they are willing to keep their eye on issues that are being proposed that negatively affect snowmobile access, and we have NO SNFW volunteers for Gifford Pinchot National Forest . </ o:p>

Has this closure been known by any of our members prior to the actual closure announcement? If so, I would like to know what you previously have heard, and how you heard about it.

Once I have additional detailed information, I will send out a SAWS alert with my recommended actions for our members to take.

Dave Hurwitz

WA SAWS Rep

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard/2008/12/mount_st_helens_sets_snowmobil.html

Mount St. Helens sets snowmobile boundaries

Posted by Terry Richard, The Oregonian December 29, 2008

A non-motorized zone along the Monitor Ridge and Worm Flows climbing routes on the south flank of Mount St. Helens has been established by the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

The climbing routes are being closed to snowmobile use to improve safety for winter climbers, skiers and snowshoers.

Officials have also made mandatory climbing permits for all winter visitors who travel above 4,800 feet on the southwest Washington volcano. This is a change from previous policy that exempted snowmobiles from the climbing permit requirement.

Last April, a snowmobiler fell into the crater of the volcano and had to be rescued.

Tom Mulder, manager of the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, said that closing the climbing route to snowmobiles increases safety and enhances the experience of climbers and skiers while still accommodating snowmobile use on the south side of the mountain.

The permit requirement helps track use. When assistance is needed, the climbers' register helps emergency responders identify who is on the mountain.

Between Nov. 1 and March 31, permits are required for all travel above 4,800 feet on Mount St. Helens . They are free and available by self-registration at Marble Mountain Sno-Park and at the Climber's Register at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar, Wash.

During the spring climbing season, April 1 to May 14, permits cost $22 and are available for advance purchase on-line. Permits for the May 15 to Oct. 31 summer climbing season are limited to 100 climbers per day and will be sold on-line on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 9 a.m. PST on Feb. 1.

Detailed information about the Mount St. Helens climbing permit system and the non-motorized climbing corridor is available on-line at www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/permit-system.shtml

A map of the non-motorized zone is available on-line at www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/images/
non-motorizedcorridormap212208.jpg

adamsrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Woodland, WA
Greg,

Thanks for your interest in winter access to Mount St. Helens. I’m writing to address questions you raised concerning recent media coverage of our winter access policy. In some cases, the media’s need to summarize things in relatively few words may have left out some of the policy details or created some confusion.

The following are a few of the finer points of the policy that may have not come through in recent newspaper or other media coverage. FYI I’m also attaching a copy of the press release that went to the media (with links to maps and other information on our web site).

Here are a few details of the policy change for clarification:

Closure of the area immediately surrounding the climbing route does not prevent snowmobile riders from traveling to the crater rim.

In developing our access policy we consulted with winter sports groups and expert riders to develop a policy that would meet the needs of both motorized and non-motorized users.

Expert snowmobile riders have told us that the non-motorized corridor surrounding the Monitor Ridge and Worm Flows climbing routes is not very suitable snowmobiling terrain and is not the preferred route to the crater rim. The preferred route to the crater rim by snowmobile is located either west or east of the non-motorized zone.

Riders requested that we provide a way for snowmobiles traveling in an east-west direction above 4800 foot elevation to cross over the non-motorized zone. In order to accommodate this potential need our policy allows for snowmobiles to cross over the non-motorized zone immediately above timberline.

Between November 1 and March 30 permits are available by self-registration at no cost at both Marble Mtn Snopark and the Climber’s Register at Lone Fir Resort in Cougar.

FYI here's a copy of the info we provided to the media about the policy, you might find the link to detailed info useful.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOR FURTHER INFO CONTACT: (360) 449-7800

December 29, 2008

Officials Designate Non-motorized Corridor along
Mount St. Helens Winter Climbing Route

AMBOY, WA – Forest officials have announced the establishment of a non-motorized zone along the popular Monitor Ridge and Worm Flows climbing routes on the south flank of Mount St. Helens

The climbing route is being closed to snowmobile use to improve safety for winter climbers, skiers and snowshoers. Officials have also announced that climbing permits are required for all winter recreationists that travel above 4800 feet on the volcano. This is a change from previous policy that exempted snowmobiles from the climbing permit requirement.

“Designating a non-motorized corridor and implementing a permit system that applies to all winter recreationists above 4800 feet regardless of mode-of-travel makes sense,” said Tom Mulder, Monument Manager. “By closing the climbing route to snowmobiles we can increase safety and enhance the experience of climbers and skiers while still accommodating snowmobile use on the south side of the mountain. The permit requirement helps us track use, and when assistance is needed, the Climber’s Register helps emergency responders identify who is on the mountain,” Mulder added.

Between November 1st and March 31st permits are required for all travel above 4800 feet on Mount St. Helens and are free and available by self-registration at Marble Mountain Sno-Park and at the Climber’s Register at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar. During the spring climbing season, April 1st to May 14th, the permits cost $22 and are available for advance purchase on-line. Permits for the May 15th to October 31st summer climbing season are limited to 100-climbers-per-day and will be sold on-line on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 9:00 a.m. PST on February 1st, 2009.

Detailed information about the Mount St. Helens climbing permit system and the non-motorized climbing corridor is available on-line at:
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/permit-system.shtml

A map of the non-motorized zone is available on-line at http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount-st-helens/images/non-motorizedcorridormap212208.jpg).

# # #

PETER FRENZEN
Monument Scientist / Public Affairs Officer

Premium Features