• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sad day

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
1100 miles. I don’t summarize. I store in climate controlled shop. Had in tobdealer to fix leaking exhaust valves a month ago. Ran fine end of season.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So....appears that the wiring on the right side up to the ECM and the left side to the exhaust valve control were extremely tight. Actually starting to wear into the oil res. They unhooked the wiring and got a little more play in the wires and reconnected. Couldn't get it to error again. Guess I'll be the test mule this weekend or next and see if it's fixed or not.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I don't think you are alone with this issue I had similar on my 17. On it the wire chafed to ground.
Hoping that I don't have any issues tomorrow since it will be the first time out since the shop worked on it. Guess we'll know quickly once we unload. Shop is going to replace the whole wiring harness if I have issues.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So...the fun continues. Sled ran fine for the most part but the speedo would go from 0 to 70 to 90 to 144 mph all within 10'. I know, I shouldn't complain about track speed like that, right? Well I was actually doing about 5 mph so there is still an issue with the wiring. Here is where it gets even better. Since I missed riding a few weeks ago we decided to go up last Saturday. We get up there and unload our stuff and my dad unloads his two 850's. He has an 18 and a 19. The 18 starts up and then starts running like mine did when I had to take it in. No rpm, running on 1 cylinder occasionally, and missing at rpm. Ruins our trip once again. We took it to the dealership today and they say it's the exact same issue with the wring being too tight and this is the 3rd one so far this year. BEST warranty won't cover electrical.....so why is it considered electrical? I believe it's an issue caused by the manufacturing process and/or human error and it's now on both or 2018 models. I think this is going to be an issue that is going to come to light here now that these 2018 models have some time and miles on them I hope BRP Rec. steps up to the plate and doesn't turn their backs on us. 1 sled with issues might be a anomaly, two sleds out of two 2018 sleds is pattern in my opinion. I'll post on how it turns out.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
can you post a pic of where the wires are tight? I have an 18 that I'd prefer this not happen to.

Have no pics yet. Working with BRP and dealer right now. Will have some pics next Monday...I think. The wiring harness is the one that plugs in to the exhaust valve servo and the bottom of the oil res. If you take the hood off it should be easy to see if it's stretched pretty tight or not.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I sure you guys just don't have horrible karma because you did something really bad? That would be my guess.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Just an update. BRP stepped up to the plate and took care of the wiring harness and installation. Side note, our 19 850 did the same thing on Sunday and it's the wiring too. Who strings those wires so dang tight?

Premium Features