• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RXL clone

minibob

Lifetime Membership
May 23, 2010
Looking to build a rxl clone on a 1996 chassis using a Phil Little kit . I would like to use a triple with pipes more for the sound then anything else . I am torn between xlt or an ultra engines . Should a person be concerned with finding motor or electrical parts for the old triples ?
I do have an 03 800 ves not being used would this be a better choice ?
Any info would be greatly appreciated .

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Looking to build a rxl clone on a 1996 chassis using a Phil Little kit . I would like to use a triple with pipes more for the sound then anything else . I am torn between xlt or an ultra engines . Should a person be concerned with finding motor or electrical parts for the old triples ?
I do have an 03 800 ves not being used would this be a better choice ?
Any info would be greatly appreciated .

The xlt, at elevation, with triple pipes is a bear to keep in tune

minibob

Lifetime Membership
May 23, 2010
Thanks for the heads up. The elevation I would be riding in 2300 ft.- 2800 ft. Only on nice days . Would this change anything on the xlt being a bear to tune with pipes or use stock pipe ? Or would a different triple i.e. ultra 680 work better ? Thinking the triple sound of the rxl clone would be a better fit .
I have never own a triple but owned and tuned many twins .
Or use the ves 800 twin ?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I have a complete xlt motor and lots of ultra parts in my shed. I was able to find about everything I needed in my rebuild from eBay and Babbit's. and I got a whole mint non-running xlt for $200 on craig's:face-icon-small-coo
either triple should be fine if youre just cruising around. the ultra is way better if you plan on suping it up more. lots of potential and more reliable. the xlt will be a little lighter and they sound the coolest imo with glass packs, spinning over 9000 rpm, but eventually the crank will need work if you ride it a lot like that, depending on the year motor.
the coolest option would be an xcr800 with rack flatslide carbs but good luck finding one. once in a while I check eBay for a set of xcr flatslides to swap into my ultra but haven't found a set yet. you can also have the stock carbs bored to 39.5 and they like that with pipes but I been told the flatslides make it even better.
XLTs don't leave ya much option if you wanted anything besides pipes. do the ultra if ya wanna go big on a budget.

Last edited:

minibob

Lifetime Membership
May 23, 2010
Picked up a 97 sp ultra with reverse from a senior . It has only run a handful of times since 2013 . Runs ok I have my fingers crossed that there are no major issues and that a carb cleaning will wake her up . The hood , seat , belly pan are near mint . I am thinking that leaving it stock might be my best option at this time . Any thoughts out there ??? And to start hunting for obsolete parts ie water pump and ??

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
babbitts still has most the water pump parts available. the only time I've messed with one was after I changed the oil in it with new synthetic oil, it started seeping into the crank I think? exhaust always smelled like burning 4 stroke oil but still ran fine. this second motor I'm on ive never touched the water pump and it has a ton of original miles on the bottom end. You should be in great shape with a little carb/clutch detail. They are bullet proof motors imo. easy to do top ends on too with the individual cylinders.
keep an eye out for lightweight goodies. they're hard to come by these days, but sometimes a cheap craigslist sleds are loaded with useable stuff. like better handlebars.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yikes, that's precious for a water pump, although understandable in this case. If I had such a part go out, I'd talk to a place that specializes in restoring obsolete parts – the sort of place that refurbishes engine parts for rare vintage cars and such – they'd stand a good chance of being able to tackle such a thing. Just a thought; be nice to have a working spare on my shelf if I was running that motor. What I've found from working on older Mercedes that are getting spotty on parts availability is being proactive makes a big difference: sometimes you just have to spend some money, but a stash of the right parts can save the day and grow in value if you decide to get out of it. You can quote me to your wife on that too, if it helps...

Premium Features