• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RT 1000 Filter question

J
Oct 27, 2008
I am thinking about putting the pod filters on my 05 RT. I have taken off the outer air box and am wondering if i should ditch the inner and put the foam pods on or leave the inner air box and still put the pods on. Please let me know what you have done and what I should do for a setup. I am on a budget and I dont have a boon-docker box or anything so I dont want to change anything so that I will have to change the tuning. I will have the computer re-flashed with the updates and I do have a can and vent kit if that matters. Thanks for your help!

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
I left both boxes on, but gutted both of them. I put the pods on, and added a large vent/screen (with SLP type prefilter material) on the outside box, and then trimmed away the plastic (box) under the prefilter such that the whole horn piece under the air filter was gone,,, As wide and free flowing as possible, basically I tried to make the least restrictive path for getting cold air to the pod filters, and tried to keep as much belt dust out as possible by using some foil tape around all the box seams and the little tabs, etc, that hold the spare belt or clip the box to the side panel,,, This is very cheap, I got the pod filters from Ragelnic(SP?), they were cheap and pre-oiled, and not the "snow" filters, as he prefers the non "S" filter,,, I forget who sold the screen kit, but I got the one for the air intake and the one for the other side by the brake as that will fill up with powder around the exhaust can, the whole panel ends ends up like a block of snow w/o it,, So far it hasn't blown up, not sure if it's the best setup, but it's cold, clear air, or the best I can do for cheap,,,

Last edited:
M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
I have the timbersled kit on my 07 rt and love it. I think for the price that you can't go wrong. before I did it my sled was always plugged with powder and now the filters are always clean and dry. they have all the stuff you need in the kit and it doesn't take much to install, looks very clean and ditches some wieght as well.

B
Jul 21, 2001
Regina, Canada
It's an inline stat for a Summit 800 (2008 maybe), only about $12, then you need the "T" fitting, which is available from dealer too (a coolant/heat compatible plastic or nylon fitting is recommened over the grey plastic from HomeDepot). I used some of the that spring like hose forming sheath that you can buy from auto stores (Canadian Tire for me) to loop the "bipass" hose back to the "T" that returns coolant to engine, but lots of ways to do it, it's cheap, and I almost always run at 108F-110F now and that's w/o rear exchanger. With clean trails and I have to drop a scratcher as I'll get up to 130 to 140+ quickly.
Search for "RT Thermostat", etc,, lots of neat jobs, & some not so neat,, have a look at a bunch,,,
I have posted picks of mine somewhere here, or on Dootalk,, not sure where,,
Here's one to try

Last edited:
D
Feb 27, 2008
I put the timbersled setup on mine last year and did the thermostat install with it totally diffrent animal after Can't go wrong with both Highly recomend both! some of the best mods for the RT and of course dyamojoe's clutch setup!

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
The pods are a must ! I gutted my inner and outer boxes and run the pods sealed up inside my airbox, its a bit of a pain to get the pods out for cleaning, but stops warm air/steam from the engine bay from entering the engine, it'll blow your mind how much belt dust and debris collects on the pods, even after 100 miles !!
its no wonder why these sleds got such a bad wrap from the industry !

Premium Features