• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rough idling 2020experts

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I was trying to figure out what this was also on my '17 and the best I could find were some responses on Dootalk saying it's the RAVEs cycling and it does it as a self cleaning or lubricating feature!? It must not work well because I cleaned my valves this fall and they were full of crud. It might be me making it up, but it seems to do it less now that I cleaned the RAVEs. I doubt that would be an issue on a new sled.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My 2020 does it also, I was crediting it to break-in, but it is well out now and was doing it bad when I got back from riding yesterday. Guess I will check the plugs. These 2020 sleds run amazing compared to previous years, but they must have changed around some stuff at BRP with employees because I found some stuff that I have never seen when I took them out of the crates. Scratches, panel installed incorrectly and now warped, making it hard to close, decal issues, tracks BANJO tight, etc. (I know, adjust is part of PDI, but every Doo I have had since 2013 has been just about spot on out of the crate. These were so tight the track didn't want to spin.) Love the 2020 sleds though!

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
My 2020 does it also, I was crediting it to break-in, but it is well out now and was doing it bad when I got back from riding yesterday. Guess I will check the plugs. These 2020 sleds run amazing compared to previous years, but they must have changed around some stuff at BRP with employees because I found some stuff that I have never seen when I took them out of the crates. Scratches, panel installed incorrectly and now warped, making it hard to close, decal issues, tracks BANJO tight, etc. (I know, adjust is part of PDI, but every Doo I have had since 2013 has been just about spot on out of the crate. These were so tight the track didn't want to spin.) Love the 2020 sleds though!
My track was tight like that too. My 2020 has been rock solid though. Love it!

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
So tore into the sled tonight and mark me as another that had plugs indexed as terrible as could be. The tang facing straight up at the injectors both sides and the plugs not even close to torque. So marked them, torqued them and boom!! Sled purrs like a kitten at idle........ripped around the neighborhood a bit got the sled warm and still.......buttery smooth idle like it should be. Thanks for the other guys that checked and found this out I appreciate the heads up. Nice to have the forum when stuff like this comes up........I figured it was just over oil and break in but nope.......plugs were way out.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I asked the dealer today, they had not heard about it, I asked about a warranty claim to cover labor, they said that they could try. Gonna stop talking there, lol.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
has anyone else notice at most full throttle on a trail or across a field that the sled just doesn't sound right? at the first hit of the throttle it sounds normal and as you pick up speed it sounds like (the only thing I can think of to describe the sound is)like its flat. I wonder if this is attributed to the plugs

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
has anyone else notice at most full throttle on a trail or across a field that the sled just doesn't sound right? at the first hit of the throttle it sounds normal and as you pick up speed it sounds like (the only thing I can think of to describe the sound is)like its flat. I wonder if this is attributed to the plugs
It doesn't like the higher speeds but really it's not made for that I'm thinking. Not sure if they used lower gearing in the 20's but the 3 inch lugs don't hold up well running hard down the trail anyways.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

dbone5803

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2016
Same thing with my 2020 freeride and expert. Thanks for this thread, I was waiting for breakin to finish to see if it persisted but will check plugs now.

B
Jan 16, 2016
Nebraska
My 19 idled 900-1200 jumping around. Did it from day one. So call stealership and said tracks and plugs are not under warranty. So after researching i pulled the plugs and bought new plugs. An indexed them to specs. Im not 100% if they were not indexed correctly. But it idles solid around 1150.
And loosened my banjo tight track. Rolls smoother. And made it not want to fall on its face when letting of the throttle.

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
Just to double check, should the spark plug tang be at a 90 degree angle from the injector? My Expert idles rough, but runs great after idle. Thanks guys..

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
If the plug is torqued down and doesn't line up properly, the manual says to try with another plug. Can't you just rotate the plug to start it at a different position to then line it up properly?
As an aside, does anyone know where to get 2020 service manuals?
Also, what is the plug torque spec on a 2020 850?
Thanks.

Last edited:
S
Feb 5, 2019
I've been trying to find clarification, where exactly is the injector located? On top of the cylinder? So the spark plug gap opening should be facing up +/- 90°? Or is the injector not directly on top?

B
Jan 16, 2016
Nebraska
Injectors are as round as beer cans, but shorter. Right above plugs on top of cylinder head. Im not sure how its possible to torque them. But basically mark the plugs an make sure the straps on the plugs are not facing the injectors.

W
Sep 9, 2013
No, the threads are machined into the plug and into the head. The plug will start screwing in the exact same spot every time.
If the plug is torqued down and doesn't line up properly, the manual says to try with another plug. Can't you just rotate the plug to start it at a different position to then line it up properly?
As an aside, does anyone know where to get 2020 service manuals?
Also, what is the plug torque spec on a 2020 850?
Thanks.

Premium Features