• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK EVO upgrade kit

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
CatEye That is sweet!!!! Any chance you have more pictures showing how you did it?? Also do you know what they eye to eye measurements of all the shocks are that you used? I have set of front Fox shocks that are 17.5" from center to center of the eye. Wondering if these shocks would work. Did you change the A-Arms to ones you took off a Pro or just stick with the EVO A- Arms? Did you change spindles? Is the caster or camber affected by these longer shocks?
Unfortunately I suck when it comes to pics, etc. I was going to take lots of pics and measurements and weigh everything. I took a few pics, made a few measurements and didn't weigh anything.

The front end of an RMK EVO is the exact same front end as a 2011- 2012 Pro RMK only with shorter springs on the shocks. And I know this for a fact because my 2014 Pro RMK 800 is now sporting a lower A-arm from a 2020 EVO. My dealer didn't have any 2014 A-arms ( they were the ones that were glued together) so we put the EVO A-arm on. So, whatever shock length fit a Polaris in the Pro Ride chassis fits the EVO. All we did to the shocks was put the lightest spring we could find on the rear track shock. Other than that they were straight off an RMK 800 in the Pro chassis.

I re-aligned the skis after I got done - may have made a 1/8" adjustment if that much. I expected the ski stance to get narrower and it did but by less than 1/2".
My very good guess is that I got rid of ten pounds in the process.

So, the front end was a piece of cake. Unbolt the old shocks, bolt on the new ones and check the alignment.

The throttle was also a piece of cake. buy a new one, unplug the old one and put the new one on.

The rear skid was a bit more of a challenge. Pull the skid, drill new holes in the rear mounting brackets, change the limiter strap to a new longer one (I used one from an Indy 550 that I had - same part number as the one that comes in the upgrade kit from Polaris) remove the aluminum block that limits the rear track shock travel (you'll see it) swap out the shocks and bolt the skid back in.

As laid out above, changing the running boards was the big project.

I went to the internet, found the polaris upgrade kit and downloaded the part numbers list as well as the installation instructions which conveniently tells you everything!

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
RSI used to make what they called 'dumpers', you rivet them to the running boards and cut out the openings. The openings are smaller than a Pro running board... 550 Voyager (same running board as the EVO)

I'm struggling to find an RSI dumper for the 550 voyager. Do you know what the RSI part number is? They don't list them any more having discontinued the line. My searching the listings on eBay have been unfruitful.
Thx!

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I'm struggling to find an RSI dumper for the 550 voyager. Do you know what the RSI part number is? They don't list them any more having discontinued the line. My searching the listings on eBay have been unfruitful.
Thx!
I grabbed a set off of ebay that were for a Ski-Doo and then narrowed them slightly with a grinder to fit the voyager running boards. It was pretty much a crap shoot - I just hoped and guessed and it worked out.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I grabbed a set off of ebay that were for a Ski-Doo and then narrowed them slightly with a grinder to fit the voyager running boards. It was pretty much a crap shoot - I just hoped and guessed and it worked out.
Do you remember which model you purchased? thanks

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I took a few pics, made a few measurements...
Reviving this yet again...

Did you happen to measure the rear shocks taken off the Evo?

A buddy gave me a set of 17 Axys shocks, which to my understanding are the same as the Pro-ride minus a slightly longer rear track shock. I'd like to use these but am curious about your drilling new mounting holes. The instructions only note a new limiting strap and new rear track shock spring. How did you arrive at the measurements for the new hole?

Thanks again for your help. Can't wait to get this thing lifted!

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Reviving this yet again...

Did you happen to measure the rear shocks taken off the Evo?

A buddy gave me a set of 17 Axys shocks, which to my understanding are the same as the Pro-ride minus a slightly longer rear track shock. I'd like to use these but am curious about your drilling new mounting holes. The instructions only note a new limiting strap and new rear track shock spring. How did you arrive at the measurements for the new hole?

Thanks again for your help. Can't wait to get this thing lifted!
check out Burandts backcountry adventures and find the RMK Evo build. I believe it was 1" down and 1/8" back. I did not measure the rear track shocks but I'm sure Chris used shocks from something newer than '17 on his. He even went so far as to put an entire React front end on his which would be totally cool. A narrower front end is next for mine, probably Alternative Impact. Wish I had a set of Axys spindles ...... Dan at Alternative Impact has done a couple so he may have some good advice. I reached out to Burandt's and they gave me a couple tips as well.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
check out Burandts backcountry adventures and find the RMK Evo build. I believe it was 1" down and 1/8" back. I did not measure the rear track shocks but I'm sure Chris used shocks from something newer than '17 on his. He even went so far as to put an entire React front end on his which would be totally cool. A narrower front end is next for mine, probably Alternative Impact. Wish I had a set of Axys spindles ...... Dan at Alternative Impact has done a couple so he may have some good advice. I reached out to Burandt's and they gave me a couple tips as well.
I've looked at the Burandt stuff before but didn't see those details. I'll look again.
I was looking for cheap react take offs, but nothing cheap near me... Too many willing to pay top dollar to upgrade their earlier Axys chassis. I'll probably just run it with these shocks, RSI dumpers and call it good.
Kid will need a big boy sled soon enough...

thanks again!

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I just received some Axys running boards. Ditched the dumpers. I'm noticing how much wider the Evo running board is at the footwell. It looks like you left the Axys board as wide as the stock Evo board. Did you space it out further than an Axys or did you narrow the footwell?
Any chance you could post a pic of the foot well from the side looking forward? I think that would answer my questions.

thanks again!

Last edited:
F
Jan 3, 2008
I just received some Axys running boards. Ditched the dumpers. I'm noticing how much wider the Evo running board is at the footwell. It looks like you left the Axys board as wide as the stock Evo board. Did you space it out further than an Axys or did you narrow the footwell?
Any chance you could post a pic of the foot well from the side looking forward? I think that would answer my questions.

thanks again!
Here is a youtube video of a guy installing AXYS running boards. He ended up making a new bracket. I think he did that because the Axys boards are narrower. I think what CatEye did looks like a cleaner install.

1613778725600.png

S
Dec 22, 2010
Was wondering if anyone who has put a proper throttle lever on and disconnected the speed limiter has any comments on clutching. Polaris’s upgrade kit comes with 43 gr slugs which is consideredably higher than what comes with it from factory. Just wondering at 100% carb opened if an unadjusted (clutching and gearing) Evo will be over reving. I am use to a typical Polaris primary clutching. New to the clutching that is on an Evo. Hopefully someone can add some helpful advice.

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
Was wondering if anyone who has put a proper throttle lever on and disconnected the speed limiter has any comments on clutching. Polaris’s upgrade kit comes with 43 gr slugs which is consideredably higher than what comes with it from factory. Just wondering at 100% carb opened if an unadjusted (clutching and gearing) Evo will be over reving. I am use to a typical Polaris primary clutching. New to the clutching that is on an Evo. Hopefully someone can add some helpful advice.

I did not disconnect the speed limiter as 50 mph is fast enough.

Yes, the EVO will over rev with stock clutching and 100% throttle. 43g slugs and gearing included in upgrade kit are for sea level. I left gearing alone and used the clutching/jetting chart for a 550 voyager 144 to set mine up for full throttle.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I did not disconnect the speed limiter as 50 mph is fast enough.

Yes, the EVO will over rev with stock clutching and 100% throttle. 43g slugs and gearing included in upgrade kit are for sea level. I left gearing alone and used the clutching/jetting chart for a 550 voyager 144 to set mine up for full throttle.
What peak RPM should we target? If read everywhere from 6800-7200.

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
My EVO RMK turned 6800, jetted down, but with factory 1/2 throttle and clutching. Felt lazy, would build rpm but not speed.

Now turns 6900 with 100% throttle and voyager clutch specs for my elevation. Now, engine sounds loaded and pulls like our other 550’s.

Book says 7000 +/- 200, so I called it good.

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
My EVO RMK turned 6800, jetted down, but with factory 1/2 throttle and clutching. Felt lazy, would build rpm but not speed.

Now turns 6900 with 100% throttle and voyager clutch specs for my elevation. Now, engine sounds loaded and pulls like our other 550’s.

Book says 7000 +/- 200, so I called it good.
Thx!
Do you mind sharing your clutch chart?
I’m curious how it differs from the Evo chart.
Thx again

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
thanks. Looks like this is included in the Evo manual.
I purchased, but haven't installed, the Evo spring for my elevation. I expect the Voyager (same as "Evo upgrade kit" primary and secondary springs to be stronger and more aggressive...
I should probably just buy the two stronger springs and do it once... do it right.

D
Feb 10, 2016
I'm upgrading an evo rmk and having trouble getting the skid to bolt up. I'm using Pro shocks, drilled hole 1' lower and trying to use the lower front hole. I can get both bolts in on one side but when I flip over to the other side I cant get the front bolt in. Did you have this trouble? if so any tips?

T
Jan 27, 2014

thanks again!
I made a small bracket out of 1 1/2 angle

Don’t judge my aluminum welding skills. Lol

30FA113A-5768-40AC-A61D-1C001A5613A4.jpeg 7246888F-D07B-4B1E-988D-09B8BEA0011F.jpeg 417C4C28-60F9-4932-B4E3-3C537D5585AB.jpeg F66FE052-9A40-4EB2-82AD-29B7D94E219E.jpeg

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Great work guys! Will be picking up my daughter's 23 EVO Rmk in a few weeks and already have the upgrade parts list mostly assembled. Found a smoking deal on a new Raptor 37x front suspension that came with new (takeoffs) full set (frt and rr) of 2018 Axys WE shocks. Have some takeoff 2014 Pro running boards, throttle block and Pro Taper bars. Longer limiter strap, maybe clutching and it should be dialed in for winter. We don't ride groomed trail all that often so I thought making it more off trail friendly would be the best thing. Might look at shortening the tunnel just to help with the deep snow stucks.

Premium Features