RMK EVO upgrade kit

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
After a couple of rides on the new EVO I need to upgrade it for my grandson. I already have all the Pro shocks, new longer limiter strap, Pro running board takeoffs and possibly the throttle (gotta look). The upgrade kit includes a clutch spring and weights but they are for 0 - 4,000' so they don't do me any good - we're at 8,000' and above so we'll clutch it after the upgrades. We may or may not change the gearing. I will drop the skid to the lower holes in front and drill a new hole 1" lower and 1/4" back in the rear bracket. From other posts and sources that appears to be the right spot. I might chop the tunnel a bit. Since there are no coolers to worry about it's pretty simple and right now the tunnel looks extra long.

Does anyone know why Polaris includes a new CDI box in their kit? It's the exact same part number as the original.

Anything else I am missing?

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
I am considering purchasing an RMK EVO for my daughter. In stock form what makes the sled a poor performer? Is the low height pretty limiting off trail?

I am already adding up the cost to mod the sled. Are Axys and Pro shocks the same lengths?

Please document your mods! I am excited to hear how it goes.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
In stock form it's pretty low to the ground and the drag factor is what gets it when it's off trail but being that low to the ground makes it nice and stable going down the trail. My grandson is much more confident and rides faster down the trail on it than he did his old Indy Lite 340. ( which makes it a more pleasant ride for all of us because trail time is wasted time! ;) ) Also the throttle flipper is designed to only open the carbs part way which works well on the trail but off trail can be pretty limiting when you need power. I think it would be perfect for a younger child than mine - he's just too big for it already. With the stock setup it's runs 48 mph down the trail with me on it so it's not a slob power wise as it is but it could be much better with access to all the power the motor can make.

If I still had little kids ( 5 to 9 years or so) it would be perfect just the way it sits. As it is we are past that stage and need to change the setup. Since it is a Pro chassis a full set of shocks off of a Pro will fit. The Axys chassis is different so I don't know what will fit or not. I am actually doing the shock swap tonight so I will take measurements and pictures as I go. Interestingly my grandson can already get it up on one ski so I expect he is going to be shocked the next time he rides it! I'm sure he'll tip it over sometime in the first five minutes!

The ergos are great by the way - he's not a big boy and the sled fits him. That's why I'm willing to spend a bit to mod it.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Hi Catey5312. did you find anything about the cdi box? I looked it up and the part numbers are the same. sorry just reread your first post
For beans the new snowest has a good article on Chris Burant's build on the Evo

Premium Features