• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK 600 Engine (Cylinder/Piston)

G
Nov 6, 2016
Picking up a project this weekend. Will be for the wife/kids to putt around on. Anyway its a 2005 RMK 600 144". The guy has owned it for the last 5 yrs for his wife and kids. Anyway motor was still running but he knew it wasnt right. Pulled the head off and the left piston had crapped and scored cylinder. So....it needs a bare minimum of a cylinder and piston. What are my options here and what else should I do while in there. Of the other side looks ok should I just run it or replace as well? Any upgrades I should do while inside?

Where is the best place to get a cylinder and piston kit? I wana do this right the first time. Thanks!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have had to repair my 2004 as well.

I had to send my cylinder into get it fixed and re-nicasil coated, plus 2 new SPI pistons. I picked up a Winderosa gasket set and reinstalled. Runs good.

I do need to get some new Powervalve springs though, but the parts list doesn't show those anymore.

G
Nov 6, 2016
I have had to repair my 2004 as well.

I had to send my cylinder into get it fixed and re-nicasil coated, plus 2 new SPI pistons. I picked up a Winderosa gasket set and reinstalled. Runs good.

I do need to get some new Powervalve springs though, but the parts list doesn't show those anymore.

Where do you get something like that done and what kinda costs am I looking at? Only one side is bad but should I go ahead and get the other side done as well?? Sorry this is new to me.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I sent the cylinder to US Chrome for repair. I have since had to do that on a 700 VES engine as well. Quality work. I think this ran about $250.

On the 600 I replaced both pistons with SPI plus the gaskets.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Your Location?

Picking up a project this weekend. Will be for the wife/kids to putt around on. Anyway its a 2005 RMK 600 144". The guy has owned it for the last 5 yrs for his wife and kids. Anyway motor was still running but he knew it wasnt right. Pulled the head off and the left piston had crapped and scored cylinder. So....it needs a bare minimum of a cylinder and piston. What are my options here and what else should I do while in there. Of the other side looks ok should I just run it or replace as well? Any upgrades I should do while inside?

Where is the best place to get a cylinder and piston kit? I wana do this right the first time. Thanks!

You will need to get the other cylinder honed if it doesn't have any scoring. Where are you located? In MN you can work with Hanson Racing or Indy Specialties. You should replace both of your crankcase seals while you have the motor out of the engine. I don't think you need the crank checked unless you think debris got down into the case? Wossner and Wiseco also make good pistons.

http://www.hansonracingengines.com/

G
Nov 6, 2016
Well talked to Indy today. For two cylinders exchanged, SPI piston kit and all gaskets to do the topend with shipping was right at $750. Ill have 500 in the sled plus the $750 to them. Motor should he good to go. $1250 in a 2005 RMK 600 141" I think Im doin fairly well. What do yall think?

G
Nov 6, 2016
That's all it's worth in this market, but if you want to ride it then get after it.

Well I havent went and got it just yet. Just not sure if money would be spent better somewhere else on something different. I mean I could spend a little more but after one ride I could he in the same boat needing a topend with something I got more cash in. Guess maybe thats a gamble you gotta take. Just think the older 600 rmk would be a good putter for the wife and kids.

O

olymon

Honestly, if it's a spare sled, or one that will not be run often, just get a complete used motor from someone. I got a complete motor cdi and secondary so I could run perc on my wifes 01 sled for $800. Sell the other parts off of you original motor that are good to recoup some of your cost.

Making JIS screws into junk

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
$750 doesn't sound too bad to me. If you go with doing it that way at least you know what you have. I ride with someone who has the exact same sled. It rides and handles very good. For $1250 I don't think you can do much better.

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
I think at 1250 you are good. As long as its a sled you plan on using, not a flip for profit. If the sled had been treated fairly, not pounded into the ground by prior owner. And in need of a bunch of suspension and clutch work after you get the motor done. You should have a good sled at a fair price

Premium Features