• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RM250 platform for Snowbike?

P
May 26, 2020
Quick question:

Are snow bikes required to have a spark arrestor?

This might be state specific. I've tried searching Idaho Parks and Rec website but can't find anything...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
No issues in Utah... sparkys loose you some good hp

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

P
May 26, 2020
I spoke with Idaho Parks and Rec today and they said that it is not required as long as there is more than 3" of snow on the ground. Snowmobiles are not equipped with spark arrestors.

M
Sep 18, 2015
ooohhhh wwill, we gotta get together this winter. but also yeah, never had a single issue in any of the 6 states I've ridden in without having a spark arrestor. new bike does because I'll single track it and utah is dry af in the summers.

P
May 26, 2020
Hey guys, the project is coming together slowly. It's been a hectic fall so I didn't have much time to wrench on the project. But, I've got the rebuilt motor in, Fastway footpegs modified to fit, rad guards installed, bar risers installed, and I built a velocity stack style intake to fit in the small space where the airbag was. Currently my forks are getting rebuilt with stiffer springs and I'm installing the coolant/heating plumbing.

One question for the 2 strokers out there: do you have any pics of your thermostat installed? It's really tight fit on my bike between the frame, the tank and the engine. I've been searching for some reference pics on here and elsewhere online but all I find are 4 strokes. Any pics of thermostat, carb heater hoses, bar heaters and return T would be great!

Thanks!

P
May 26, 2020
I'm struggling with wrapping my exhaust!

I couldn't find any sort of pipe guard for a 2002 RM250 ANYWHERE... so decided to go the exhaust wrap route. I've wrapped exhausts before, but never on a 2 stroke. I picked up the DEI Titanium Lava wrap and can't seem to get a tight wrap regardless of how many times I try. No matter what, every time I get to the expansion chamber I get loose folds in the wrap. I've tried starting at the header, starting at the silencer, wrapping with the seam facing one way, wrapping with the seam facing the other way, wetting the wrap... no matter what I get loose folds. F***in drives me nuts! I contacted DEI and they basically said good luck - 2 stroke pipes are a pain and I might have to do it in sections.

Any tips? Anyone else run into this issue?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I don't think its worth the time I really would not worry about it.

P
May 26, 2020
Do I need to "bleed" the air out of the coolant heated bars?

I've got everything hooked up, plumbed and coolant in the system. But with the bars being higher than the rads I know they are still full of air.

Should I run the bike then re-top off the rads?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Proapline, generally the bars seem to get rid of the air fairly fast. I have drained and refilled my system several times and I am surprised how quickly the bars bled off the air and warm quickly. Yeah, run it for a bit and ck bars for heat and then add if needed.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Looks good. Smokers are fun snowbikes! Wont run and gun with a 450 everytime, but very quick tree to tree when tuned right.

P
May 26, 2020
Hey guys I'm having some gearing issues...

Riding the bike as is with the MT kit on there, my engine revs and revs but I don't go anywhere. Low end putting around is great but even in 5th gear I feel like my max speed is 20-25mph.

The stock CS sprocket is 13T. I ordered a 14T and 15T to play around and see which one works best. Well turns out I can't run anything bigger than the stock 13T because of clearance issues with the track kit and the sprocket... bummer.

I do know that these moto Trax kits use a KTM spline and sprocket on the driveshaft, and I believe stock is 16T. Any suggestions on what size to go to for more top end?? I need some speed!!!

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So with the yeti and a 13 front even the 250x we have maxes out about st 50. Ktm 450 with 6th gear installed 78.... just for info I know you have a different kit... the regular yz250 could not go faster than 35...

P
May 26, 2020
So with the yeti and a 13 front even the 250x we have maxes out about st 50. Ktm 450 with 6th gear installed 78.... just for info I know you have a different kit... the regular yz250 could not go faster than 35...

Well shucks... I wish I would have known that about the 2 strokes. It's one thing to wind them up on the dirt and get results, like front wheels coming off the ground and the handlebars ripping out of your hands. It's another thing to rev it in snow and nothing happens.

I'm hopeful that I can make some adjustments with gearing.

Premium Features