• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RM250 platform for Snowbike?

P
May 26, 2020
I've done some research and it seems like guys are tweeting the 2strokes for snow, even the older Japanese 2 strokes. I've got an '06 RM250 that I've modded heavily for technical single track and it's awesome. The mods don't really lend itself to snowbiking however a friend is selling his '04 RM250 and it got me thinking... I've got quite a few spare rm parts, I know how to wrench on it for the most part... Maybe I should buy another, send it off to Eric Gohr and have him punch it to a 295 and build screaming snowbike...? I understand carbs can be a bit of an issue in winter, I was thinking of putting a Lectron on there (it's what I have on the '06 and it's awesome). What else should I consider? What Timbersled kit will fit an RM? On their website they don't list any. Thanks for the help everyone!

E
Dec 19, 2007
I'm not a too knowledgeable about Suzuki's but live and bleed 2 strokes. I would skip the big bore and just make sure porting compression pipe and reeds are the best combo for motocross style power. Check vitalmx forum for opinions. If it has a pwk carb just jet it right and add a heater. Fit kit might be a problem but swing arm spacers can be made by a machine shop cheap and the forks must be similar to something available.

P
May 26, 2020
Thanks Eric. Yeah it seems that guys are making snow bikes out of just about any powerful Moto these days, so fitment must not be that difficult. I'll look into it a bit more. Seems like possible options include the RMZ bikes and YZ bikes.
Cheers

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
What Eric said. I do like the Lectron’s tho

In my opinion stay away from gorr. Not impressive on the dyno runs I have seen.

P
May 26, 2020
I picked up the 03 Rm yesterday and gave it a quick bath. It was pretty dirty. The airfliter looked as it it hadn't been cleaned since 03. The bike has an FMF Gnarly pipe on there but the header is leaking. I suspect the pipe took a hit and bent the header. The PO was mixing 30:1 but riding trails, so there's spooge all over the pipe. I managed to find a PC Platinum pipe at a great price to replace the Gnarly. Seems like the PC will be a better fit for snowbiking. I also found a used Lectron H 38 carb at good price, so I've got one of those coming.

My plan is to strip the plastics, wheels, swingarm and rear shock. Rebuild the top end and clean the power valve. Any recommendations on pistons for snowbike applications? I've used Pro-X in the past. Then I'm going add a thermostat, carb heater and bar warmer. Does anyone know how much juice the Throttle Position Sensor uses during stock set up? With the Lectron, there's no TPS, so I'm wondering if I could use that power for something else, like a light or grip warmers...I've got some Boyesen reeds from my 06 Rm that I'll see if they fit this 03, otherwise I may go with a Rad Valve. Any suggestions on thermostat brands and carb heater brands? The C3 stuff looks well made... I'm picking up a 2020 Moto Trap 129 and those guys are helping with the fit kit. Any other suggestions?

I
Nov 29, 2007
Me and my 2 boys have been rocking 2 strokes for the last couple o f years. A TX 300, TE300, and a TE250. All have Lectrons with carb heat, carbon pipe guards to help keep a little heat in the pipe, and all have been bulletproof. Keeping the carb somewhat warm has been the key for us. Bikes have been low maintenance, and we like the snap of a 2 stroke. Make sure and run a plastic skid plate, the aluminum ones seem to collect and hold more snow. The ydont seem to "slide" as well as the plastic ones.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Don’t bother with heated bars on a 2 stroke. They don’t run hot enough. You’ll just have soggy hands and switches/things icing up causing problems. Better to be cold and dry.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I’ve got electric grips on my ktm and they do alright. Not hot like coolant bars, but warm most days.

E
Dec 19, 2007
My buddy has heated bars on his 250sx with a thermostat and a good wrap the bars get too hot so he installed a valve to slow the flow down.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Don’t bother with heated bars on a 2 stroke. They don’t run hot enough. You’ll just have soggy hands and switches/things icing up causing problems. Better to be cold and dry.
If you cover the engine they stay wayyyyyyy warm... we have to turn ours down on yz250s

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

P
May 26, 2020
Are oversized footpads necessary? Man they are expensive! I've read the posts about welding on extensions, but seems like the results are mixed - bent extensions and or icing/snow build up issues with the lack of open interior...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
With an aluminum frame they are more of an issue... they get annoying or you just have to pick the ice out throughout the ride... they are not all made equal... i saw 3 c3 ones bend ... the Selkirk ones were awesome or the flo adventure and cutting out the middle .. either way I would cut out the middle of whatever you have.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I run mine at 130 and I have a tunnel cooler... so it stays very consistent.. which is key to any snowbike makes tuning way easier... dropping and spiking Temps makes it hard.

P
May 26, 2020
I run mine at 130 and I have a tunnel cooler... so it stays very consistent.. which is key to any snowbike makes tuning way easier... dropping and spiking Temps makes it hard.

Sounds like 130 is what most believe to be the optimum temp for 2 strokes. Is that correct? C3 Powersports lowest temp thermostat is 140. What brand are most of you guys running? Thermo-Bob?

I'm having a heck of a time finding a carbon pipe guard for this year RM... I'm thinking a wrap with silicon would help keep things at a consistent temperature and probably be better for the longevity of the pipe is the silicon was done right. But that will increase pipe temps. Will that effect engine temps? Thoughts?

Cheers

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Honestly it just moves the power delivery around... I would not worry about wrapping the pipe... if you find a carbon guard at some point if you find one get it. I wouldn't worry about it too much... keeping the temp of the engine stable is more important.

P
May 26, 2020
I spoke with Millennium Tech yesterday and Rodney pretty much convinced me to go with the 290 big bore kit... I know a lot of you guys suggested just to run it as a 250, but this will be a dedicated snowbike and seems like a little more displacement would be a good thing.

Premium Features