• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RIP yeti

Yeti facts, The TS 3 inch suffers in the track speed dept, They need lower gearing which dont allow for that Over Rev- fast ground speed when entering a climb,The Yeti side by side in 2 feet powder was faster than the TS /3 inch on climbs and we made multiple runs, The 3 inch does have more traction when loping through the deep. But theres a tradeoff and by no means is the 3 inch better at everything, The track and ground speed is better for our riding. Ive been riding a 3 inch sled since they came out however the CVT sled clutch auto adjusts to maintain perfect RPM unlike a bikes gearbox, big difference and why i prefer tall gearing on my bikes. I run 14 counter sprocket and 44/47, this eliminates the useless 1st gear, now 1 st has track speed of 32 mph and a usable full 5 gears which is like an overdrive on the trail up ,runs with sleds down the trail now. The narrow rails have no downside .. I prefer the SS137 since its has even faster track speeds and can real in any other 450 kit easily in the deep however it needs rode fast to make up for flotation loss. Yeti kits are very well designed and the weight savings is a real riders plus, For every 5 lbs weight in a bike theres 1 hp required to maintain the same performance.. A 30 lbs weight saving over some competitors has a 6 hp advantage simply due to less weight. Yeti cant make leaps each year as they are already so far ahead of competition. Carbon fiber and titanium bolts and shaft's are not matched by any other company, The belt drive really allows the motor to spool up quick and carry higher RPM,s... Anyone with their 3 inch willing to go head to head near the Mt Adams area just shout, I think ewe will be quite surprised in the performance differences.

So you're going like 20mph when you let the clutch out? That would be a complete nightmare for how I ride. We rarely go over 32mph throughout the day, the majority of the time is spent at 5-10 mph.

Any videos? If you're tree riding in 2nd and 3rd, you must be going what 40-50mph? I'd love to watch!

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm not buying the TS 3" doesn't work BS. My riding partner switched to an Aro 3 this year and he is WAY faster than he was on his old kit. That thing moves snow, lots of snow, he is as fast as me now but he is a way bigger dude, we are on the same bike running the same tune. That kit flat out works. I like the tech of the Yeti and I've ridden it a lot. One of my closest friends is a tester for Yeti so there ya go, but it hasn't blown me away otherwise I would already have one. Its not a money thing, they just needed to make them a lot tougher. I've seen every failure the Yeti kit has to offer. They have addressed quite a few of them for 2022. I personally think the 2.6 vs. 3" is a non issue I mean c'mon .4 of an inch? It's the paddle design and durometer not the height that works or doesn't work, at least within reason. I really doubt the new 2.6 is a step backwards. It'll be a cold day in hell when I get any brand name tattooed on my ass.

M5

P
Nov 30, 2013
... Anyone with their 3 inch willing to go head to head near the Mt Adams area just shout, I think ewe will be quite surprised in the performance differences.

TS 3" facts...you can put all the fancy carbon and Ti bits you want on a cruiser and it will both look cool and preform. I will take a timbersled anyway all-day into places a carbon skid would fail. Head to head id be surprised if the Yeti didn't pull a little higher or a little faster where sleds ride, but in the trees where it matters I have yet to see a yeti preform better where the sleds CAN'T ride.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pretty interesting we have T sleds ,Yeti and CMX here and get to test them side by side, The outcome is pretty clear on the mt. The 3 inch does best at slower speeds on the hill but lacks track speed, it is a good kit but by no means the fastest everywhere, Tall paddles eat HP and pull down RPM. The limited HP identifies the track speeds that we can pull and the gearing required. If we had more HP a 4 in paddle would be king however that is not happening. Ride what ever you wish , we see the advantages and disadvantages with each kit and all are running the same new SX 450 race bikes, My CMX needs to poach the yeti track in deep powder and it has trouble getting to the surface, I own it as well, It will not hang with the new Yeti and suspension is just horrible in comparison, T sled has the best suspension out of the box of any kit. I prefer T sled over the new CMX which has gained weight this season when every other kit has shed weight. There are Pro sledders who dont run the 3 inch simply to achieve more track speed { Barandt},. When you have and "own "all the kits then you are qualified to make an unbiassed assessment .Im not brand loyal however driven by performance and the actual results. This is typical some of ewe who go by a kit and somehow think ewer one and only ride must be the best. No body can give actual results without someone else getting defensive and butthurt . So ride what ever ewe wish and if around Mt. Adams lets put them head to head like we have been doing' BTW I bought a prototype 129 3 inch track 3 years ago before Timbersled came out with one and pulled it off due to the Track speed loss , It paddled around great but lacked the explosive RPM gains .

Last edited:
E
Dec 19, 2007
I don't really like yeti but been around them enough to know they work well in deep soft and steep. Mostly a good paddle design and light weight make a good combo that's enough to run with a 3" in the most common conditions and better/faster in the firmer stuff. The ski still sucks and I'm afraid to break one so they are moving in the right direction by building them tougher.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Whether you like or hate the Yeti ski is personal opinion, that's actually pretty much true for all the skis out there, but Yeti did cure the snapping ski syndrome a few years back so I wouldn't let that one influence my decision nor would I lose any sleep about that happening. That said you couldn't give me a brand new 2018 Yeti kit it had all the problems and then some.

M5

Premium Features